Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ doesn't charge sales tax on new EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What plates are you going to have on the car during this road trip?

You do realize that you'll need to apply for registration at a physical NJ DMV location before you get NJ plates.

I still think you're going to need a NJ licence to register the car there.

Finally, why don't you call up NV and ask them if denying the state the sales tax is only "tax avoidance" since you don't actually reside in NJ. You can convince yourself of that, but any way you cut it, it's still tax fraud since you are lying about your NJ residence.
you do NOT need a NJ driver's license to register a car there. however you do need a valid residence or business located in NJ to register a car in NJ.

Reading from the Tesla website: Registering Your Tesla

> Tesla will complete registration and mail your title and registration card.
>
> Tesla will mail your plates and registration once processing is complete.

And based upon what I'm reading (old threads ... so yes I did use the search function, lol) and heard from Tesla, I should be able to pick it up in Fremont CA for a drive-away w/o paying CA tax to NJ if I so choose. Just need to put down the "registration address" when you get to that step on the vehicle option purchase portion. Further down, they do ask for ID (TWIC, TSA, Passport, or even ID cards ... all issued by the US Government) should be sufficient.
This is 100% incorrect. If you pickup in CA, you pay CA tax. THe only state that allows this is NV. You can pick up in Reno or LV and register in NJ.