Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Tax Break | Is it feasible with AWD + FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reserved AWD with FSD. While the price of AWD along (with destination fees) is below $55K and keeps me eligible for NJ EV Tax credit, addition of FSD doesnt.

Does Tesla put FSD in overall car price during delivery? can i avail my FSD (at original $6K) price immediately after delivery?

NJ Buyers please share your experience.

Yes, it does. I would order FSD after, but of course, you will have to pay the higher price. Are you trading in a car also? In Maryland where I live, trade in value get subtracted from total sales price, so that might help with qualifying your tax incentive.

Yes, it does. I would order FSD after, but of course, you will have to pay the higher price. Are you trading in a car also? In Maryland where I live, trade in value get subtracted from total sales price, so that might help with qualifying your tax incentive.
Thanks. Yes, i am planning to Trade-in.
My understanding of NJ credit is that it includes Price + Dest fees + Doc fees (without any discounts). Will still check with my sales rep before consenting on final terms.

My understanding of NJ credit is that it includes Price + Dest fees + Doc fees (without any discounts). Will still check with my sales rep before consenting on final terms.
Trade in wouldn't be considered as discount. Just my experience in Maryland, so of course it can be different in NJ. My LR AWD w/ induction wheels, blue color and FSD was $64k. My trade in value for my S was $54k. So my final price was about $10k, and the tax that was charged to me was based on $10k, so about $600. MD limit for the price at $60k for tax credit, so i qualified. Granted, i am only getting about $600 back, but it's a wash for me since I only had to pay $600 tax instead of close to $4000.

NJ residents have one of the best deals going for EV buying: There is NO 6.625% sales tax for an EV purchase in NJ (so you’re not saving anything on taxes for a trade-in)....the $5K incentive for EVs under $55K MSRP in NJ is in addition to this sales tax benefit. Destination and doc fees are NOT included in the MSRP definition (Home | Charge Up New Jersey). So, Your $54,990 Tesla is costing you $49,990 vs. $58,633 for the equivalently priced ICE luxury vehicle after taxes....That’s a $8,643 or 17% premium if you still want that $54,990 ICE luxury vehicle BEFORE even getting into savings differentials for gas vs. electric, less maintenance, etc.

Hi fellow Jersey drivers!

Just wanted to add that aside from the no state sales tax on a BEV (plug-in hybrids still have to pay it), everything was correct above, it's the sales price minus the destination and documentation fees. So, feel free to get the LR AWD and add a Hitch or something like that, but be mindful you can't go over $55,000.

In @siba 's original post, I would suggest waiting until after purchase for FSD. This may mean you have to pay more in the long term, but keep in mind you're saving $5000 by doing it this way. Personally I just want it to keep me in the lane and keep my distance from the guy ahead of me. I don't need it nor want it to do everything, at least not yet...

@Trustedpro The state EV rebate is based off your mileage. I believe it's $25 per mile of all-electric range the vehicle can travel - which means that PHEV's can also claim this credit - and it maxes out at 200 miles, which is $5000. But again, if you decided to buy a RAV4 Prime or something, you'd still have to pay 6.625% of the net purchase price as sales tax, which eats into that rebate.

Also, don't forget to register your EZPass for the discounted green EV toll program. I'm curious to hear if you're using the exterior license plate tag mount or if you're using an interior mount. I have mine mounted on the top-left interior of the windshield (driver side top) on my Subaru because it has the cameras in the front and I can't mount it behind the mirror.

The NJ plan also has provisions for a rebate for any home renovations/repairs necessary to charge your new EV - I think $500?. I was considering installing a 240V30A line in my garage, which will also require me to upgrade my panel since it's maxed out. This job will cost about $1200 start-to-finish, but if I can put in the $1200 to the Federal Government at tax time for a 30% rebate which brings the price down to $840, and then claim the $500 NJ rebate, that's $340 for a new electric panel (which is probably safer, anyway) and the new circuit/outlet. I wouldn't plan on using the Tesla HPWC yet, but I might consider in the future. I'd honestly probably be fine with a 6-20 line (240v16a charging speed), but I'd have to upgrade my panel either way. Might as well push for 30A with an effective charging rate of 24a. Anything over that is overkill for me.

Happy motoring!

You have to do what I did. You have to have the MSRP under 55K, which means add FSD when you get home. It was worth every penny IMO, I love it and it makes the car ten times cooler. I also wanted Performance edition which I could not get under 55K, so instead I did the following:

• Bought uberturbines off someone else
  • Bought performance pedals and installed them myself
  • Waiting on available spoiler (though I love how the car looks now)
  • Bought high heat caliper paint to paint calipers red
  • Only thing I'd be missing from Performance is the speed increase (Which I hope will be downloadable in future), suspension and non-performance breaks.
It made no sense for me to go performance or add FSD before hand as I'd lose that 5K

Reactions: Reborn
Does anyone know where I go to get a $500 rebate for having a Tesla Wall Charger installed at home? Are there any other rebates besides the 5K for the car that I'm unaware of? I can't seem to find anything for wall charger or for EZ Pass.

Anyone knows what exact paperwork I need to show as a proof that the car is under $55k? Also, is it required for me to have NJMVC registration or temporary NJMVC will do it (the one I got from Tesla)
You need the title, which I had to contact my service center for. The site will ask you to keep submitting items when you go through it.

Reactions: Pilot1226
So, just to clarify a few things, please confirm/correct if needed:

1. You get the no-sales-tax NJ state incentive immediately at time of purchase
2. You call EZPass to add your new vehicle to the "EV" reduced toll program
3. Submit everything through the website and get a payment back electronically or by mail?

So your financing the full cost of the car, for example? How does that change interest and payments? In other words, am I financing 49,900 or am I financing 44,900? And what happens if I take the 5k from the state and lump-sum it to the payments? I think I'd rather have my payments go down rather than cutting a year off my payments...

@Sebat4 - Apply | Charge Up New Jersey

Question for all - I know the site says you must remain in NJ for 2 years to keep the $5k but how will they reinforce this? It would definitely suck if I had to pay back $5k should I move out.

@rocinate If I'm not mistaken you have to remain in NJ for 36 months from being approved for the EV incentives. Also, I assume that they will make.sure that your car is registered in NJ, your insurance has NJ address, your DL has NJ address, and I would assume that they will most likely check if you submit state taxes to NJ.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
So, just to clarify a few things, please confirm/correct if needed:

1. You get the no-sales-tax NJ state incentive immediately at time of purchase
2. You call EZPass to add your new vehicle to the "EV" reduced toll program
3. Submit everything through the website and get a payment back electronically or by mail?

So your financing the full cost of the car, for example? How does that change interest and payments? In other words, am I financing 49,900 or am I financing 44,900? And what happens if I take the 5k from the state and lump-sum it to the payments? I think I'd rather have my payments go down rather than cutting a year off my payments...

You are correct regarding item 1, 2 & 3, you get the payment by mail, it takes about 8 to 12 weeks once you submit the paperwork online.
You finance the amount i.e. MSRP - your down payment. Today you will get the payment from the state in lump sum, sometime later this year it will be cash on hood i.e. point of sale which will be MSRP - $5000