Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No 75 kWh battery for a year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I noticed a Barron's article today in which they seemed to imply no 75 kWh battery for a year. I do recall him saying no performance model but does that mean the same thing? Maybe I misinterpreted the article...hopefully.

That doesn't mean the same thing. Musk hasn't said which of the packs will be delivered first, as far as I can recall.

But I wouldn't rule it the small pack being delivered first. If the Model 3 ramp starts to get ahead of the Gigafactory ramp, the solution would be deliver the small pack first, then roll out the big pack once the Gigafactory catches up.

Reactions: Topher
I think the prevailing speculation at this time is large-battery (75 kWh) RWDs, though, as the starting model.

I'm not sure if this speculation is based on any data, but it could make sense - a better premium for the bigger battery (they don't have to go to $35,000 model right away) and a longer range than Bolt for publicity.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I think the prevailing speculation at this time is large-battery (75 kWh) RWDs, though, as the starting model.

I'm not sure if this speculation is based on any data, but it could make sense - a better premium for the bigger battery (they don't have to go to $35,000 model right away) and a longer range than Bolt for publicity.
I think there will be a 75 day one. The only question I have is the size of the smaller option. I'll wager substantial money that the EPA range for the base (whatever size it will be) will be roughly 250 miles and the the 75 will be slightly above 300 miles EPA. That's reading a lot into tweets, but that is what we do, isn't it?:cool:

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I assume this is the article you saw (Tesla: Why a Bare Bones Model 3 Could Be Smart). I don't see any new information on the 75 kWh battery.
And the “performance” version of the car, with a bigger battery pack, may take a year.
That doesn't exclude larger battery packs for non-performace models at launch.

As for the size of the small battery with the given eight modules shown last year and a 75 kWh large battery pack. Then a battery pack with six modules will be ~56 kWh. A possible downside is the small battery pack would be only 300 volts (using 50 volt modules). Tesla could have two 50 volt banks per module so both the large and small packs could be wired to run at 400 volts.

Do you think Tesla will offer the $35,000 model from day 1? Is there an Elon incentive or somesuch to do so?

They can't do AWD Performance, that we know, but limiting initial Design Studio choices to large batter and some other higher-end options only, might allow them to start by shipping higher premium cars at first and ramp-up with a bit more cash on hand from that...

Yes, for PR reasons, he stated $35,000 vehicle for the 'masses'. Just like BMW, you can order a 'base' BMW, but getting that any time soon is all determined by the manufacturer. Tesla committed to base specs like 0-60 <6sec; 315 miles, $35,000 base. I think those will need to be met in the base option.

That probably won't get delivered anytime soon even without the P and D options (perhaps to Tesla owners on west coast), but it's an option that folks can choose without all the 'boxes checked' and still get those base entry Model 3

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Yeah, I think it is possible Tesla will offer the $35,000 model on the Design Studio (whether or not they will ship it anytime soon is a different question) for that reason...

But I could also see Tesla delaying the base battery and options for 6-12 months (not offering them in the Design Studio at start or offering them clearly as "shipping much, much later" style) while ramping up with higher premium vehicles with the larger battery etc...

It is also a way to upsell, to make the base model much delayed.

I think there will be a 75 day one. The only question I have is the size of the smaller option. I'll wager substantial money that the EPA range for the base (whatever size it will be) will be roughly 250 miles and the the 75 will be slightly above 300 miles EPA. That's reading a lot into tweets, but that is what we do, isn't it?:cool:
I hope you are right. When Elon said at least 215 for the base model that was months before the Bolt appeared. I think we somewhat have Chevrolet to thank for ensuring that the base will be way above 215. Competition is always good!

Do you think Tesla will offer the $35,000 model from day 1? Is there an Elon incentive or somesuch to do so?

They can't do AWD Performance, that we know, but limiting initial Design Studio choices to large batter and some other higher-end options only, might allow them to start by shipping higher premium cars at first and ramp-up with a bit more cash on hand from that...

I thought you'd have the full range of design studio options even on day 1. The difference is simply that certain configurations are built first.

If you are right, it seems like there will be a lot of disappointed early purchasers as I would think the people who want many expensive options would have AWD near the top of their list. On the other hand, the bargain shoppers looking for a $35k car won't care.

If you are right, it seems like there will be a lot of disappointed early purchasers as I would think the people who want many expensive options would have AWD near the top of their list. On the other hand, the bargain shoppers looking for a $35k car won't care.

I will order a base 2WD, not sure I would call it bargain shopping, but rather getting what I desire.
I do believe the base battery to be 60KW, the same as the Bolt, if not greater.