Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Coverage = No Audible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started using Audible today, but when I had no cell coverage, this is what the screen displayed:

20240614_121615.jpg

Note that I have Premium Connectivity and have had it for years.

I kinda expected this, because I saw no option to download books (as on a phone), and when choosing to listen, the audio starts immediately.

On Monday I'll listen to an audiobook while driving into a dead zone and see exactly what happens.

Pull the drive and hook it to your home computer and you can download all the songs you want. Then plug it back in. I have gigs of music on my drive in the car.
That works great for songs but only okay for audiobooks. The problem with audiobooks is that (1) sources such as Audible or the library don't allow you to download to a drive and (2) the interface for doing things like resuming where you left off is missing.

1000000955.png

1000000956.png

Reactions: icy1007
Okay, more information:

Today I started an audiobook just before driving into a dead zone. It continued playing for about 15 minutes. While it was playing, I chose another audiobook, and at that point I got the spinning progress circle followed by a Loading Error.

Driving back, I started the original audiobook while in an area with coverage and got the spinning circle and a Loading Error. I switched to streaming, and successfully played ABC News, at which point I switched back to Audible, and was able to resume the original audiobook.

It resumed at the point where I'd entered the dead zone. It continued playing for a while and then stopped with the spinning progress wheel and then said Loading Error. I could rewind and play up to that point.

Conclusion: There is some limited buffering and also some other errors related to poor coverage. Next time I will see how long the audiobook can play before it runs into problems.