Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more ‘HOT CAR’ and kids in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We never heard of these things happening when I was growing up. I think our parents were paying attention and not looking at their smart phone. Yesterday at Sam's Club, I saw a 30-ish woman so intently texting on her phone that she walked into a metal column and knocked herself down on her butt. I was ten feel away and just grinned and nodded when she collected herself and stood up looking around at who saw her. She saw me looking and put the phone in her purse.

We never heard of these things happening when I was growing up. I think our parents were paying attention and not looking at their smart phone. Yesterday at Sam's Club, I saw a 30-ish woman so intently texting on her phone that she walked into a metal column and knocked herself down on her butt. I was ten feel away and just grinned and nodded when she collected herself and stood up looking around at who saw her. She saw me looking and put the phone in her purse.
I am not sure If I should laugh or not.

Depending on how long ago you were “growing up”, there were comparatively far fewer things you heard about simply because data and information are closer at hand today. Here, eat some empathy, it’s good for you: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html?noredirect=on

Pretty sure being strapped into a 120° car will kill you after awhile. Especially if the kid freaks out and starts to panic.

Just yesterday on Autoline Daily they showed a report correlating hot car deaths with the mandatory installation of airbags in 1994. The thinking is that more kids rode up front back then, which made them harder to forget. Nobody is perfect, we all screw up. I’m all for technology that can save lives, but I don’t think cabin overheat protect is an excuse for complacency.

Yes for those accidents that just break my heart.:(

For those who leave kids in the car that it is not an accident. In some states you can get in a heap of trouble. Dog mode or not.

An idea is maybe kid mode. Leaves A/C on until you proactively press a button on phone as your phone would beep non stop until you disable it. With an emoji of a crying baby on screen. Could use a sensor(not yet created) to see if child seat points are attached to some type of kid carrier. Still shouldn't leave a child in a car alone in a parking lot....and I am not suggesting one should.

Kids also didn't ride in massive rear-facing car seats where you can't see them unless you're in the back seat.

This is a mistake that *anyone* can make.
How many of someone else mistakes does it take to educate all those parents that come after to pay closer attention? How many more kids will die because their parents don't learn from someone else mistakes? After the first 1 or 10 or especially 100, every parent on notice and it should never have happened again. Just be glad I'm not the judge when they are in court.

Stupidity has not earned empathy.

How many of someone else mistakes does it take to educate all those parents that come after to pay closer attention? How many more kids will die because their parents don't learn from someone else mistakes? After the first 1 or 10 or especially 100, every parent on notice and it should never have happened again. Just be glad I'm not the judge when they are in court.

I'm impressed that you only make mistakes that no one else has made before.

Humans have very short attention spans when it comes to stuff like this. It might be something they're really careful about for a little awhile before they forget about the issue. On the list of things that can kill a persons kid I think it ranks fairly low.

Additionally the number of deaths doesn't seem to change much. I'd actually say deaths per # vehicles on the road has actually down as there are lot more vehicles on the road than back in 1998.

Here is some statistical data
Hot car deaths: More than 38 kids die in hot cars every year - CNN

My belief is that some people are simply prone to being absentminded. I'm one of those people, and thankfully I don't have kids. I can't even seem to put ice cream back in the freezer consistently. Like just today I grabbed something out of the fridge, and the small container of ice cream was in there. ARRGHH!!!

Definitely not going to be breeding anytime soon.

I am not sure If I should laugh or not.
Yes, always laugh!

Embarrassment may prevent further stupidity.

But as to the topic at hand. It sickens me how common this is now, it’s just one of the many examples of the downward spiral our society appears to be doing. I keep telling people you can’t fix stupid or lazy...Ignorance is a simple fix.

But as to the topic at hand. It sickens me how common this is now, it’s just one of the many examples of the downward spiral our society appears to be doing. I keep telling people you can’t fix stupid or lazy...Ignorance is a simple fix.
Huh? This has always been a problem. Not much evidence that it's getting worse. It's also extremely rare but tragic since it's preventable.
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 7.47.59 PM.png

Humans have very short attention spans when it comes to stuff like this. It might be something they're really careful about for a little awhile before they forget about the issue. On the list of things that can kill a persons kid I think it ranks fairly low.

Additionally the number of deaths doesn't seem to change much. I'd actually say deaths per # vehicles on the road has actually down as there are lot more vehicles on the road than back in 1998.

Here is some statistical data
Hot car deaths: More than 38 kids die in hot cars every year - CNN

My belief is that some people are simply prone to being absentminded. I'm one of those people, and thankfully I don't have kids. I can't even seem to put ice cream back in the freezer consistently. Like just today I grabbed something out of the fridge, and the small container of ice cream was in there. ARRGHH!!!

Definitely not going to be breeding anytime soon.

Had a neighbor who would come home with his coffee cup and put it on the roof while I guess he was gathering stuff from his car or on a phone call and just walking into his house. Can't tell you how many times we saw an abandoned coffee cup sitting on his roof long after he had left the car. He also was prone to going into the house through the garage and leaving his garage door up. For hours, overnight many times. When we would go out for dinner or the store and see it open we use to call him to ask if he knew he left his garage door open (lots of stuff inside so hated to see a burglar enticed to rob him), but after a while it and the coffee cup happened so many times we felt almost like a babysitter or parent and stopped doing it. Thankfully he never left his daughter in the car. If he took his Porsche (911 Targa 4S) it wasn't a problem as it didn't have much of a rear seat.

Maybe Tesla could do a Parent Mode for those with small kids that might be forgotten in the back seat. You have it set to be turned on in your profile and when you go into park it displays flashing lights or sounds to remind you to check the car. For really forgetful parents, a Maximum mode which maybe would keep the driver door locked until you press some key in response to a message on the screen saying "Before leaving, Did You Forget Something?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan84
Huh? This has always been a problem. Not much evidence that it's getting worse. It's also extremely rare but tragic since it's preventable.View attachment 445717
“Always”. Nope. Not to be a complete dick...but you started it :p

Okay. I’m not referring to the 90’s. I’m referring to previous generations.

Anywho, in my area it’s more common than it used to be. Or possibly more publicized, but even comparing 1998 to 2018 I’m not a math wiz. But >50 is more than <40 right? Sorry for my poor math skills.

It’s absolutely tragic, Please feel free to find studies that refer back generations. (It’s a trick, I promise).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life