Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more MCU_w095 errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I faced repetitive MCU_w095 errors post-MCU upgrade, leading to a frustrating troubleshooting journey. Initially, the service center pinpointed the problem to my USB SSD, suggesting wear from repeated formatting. Even after purchasing a Tesla-recommended SSD, the problem persisted, leading to suspicions about the USB hub, which also wasn't the culprit.

They then suggested removing my wireless charger to see if the issue would recur. Eventually, they recommended removing EVERYTHING, including the SSD, to monitor for two weeks. From my research and experience, I can confirm that all SSDs or flash drives will eventually fail due to the constant cycle of writing and formatting. A durable, high-capacity SSD is essential for long-term reliability.

After a month without issues, I discovered the solution was quite simple: a larger SSD portable drive with fast read/write speeds and compatibility with USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 (USB-C). I opted for a WesternDigital portable SSD 0.5TB with USB-C / USB-A (3.0), and after formatting it to exFAT and creating a folder for Sentry Mode, the issue was resolved.

My Car: 2018 Model S HW3.0 MCU2.5, SW version 2024.8.7