Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recording for DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would pull the drive out and connect it up to your computer to check it out.

With the added space demands (Sentry mode and 3 cameras for dashcam), 32 GB is on the small side, but should still be plenty big if you manage the space used by Sentry Mode (offloading videos on a “regular” basis).

If the drive has free space, repair or reformat it and try again.

DashCam stopped working after 5.15 update. Tried reformatting the thumb drive on three different machines and still couldn't get it to work, even though the formatted drive was recognized by all three machines.

After dumping everything out of my desk drawers, I found a really really old 16G drive that's very close in size to my thumb, formatted it, added the TeslaCam directory, inserted it in the USB port, and voila, the red dot on the camera icon came right back.

I have no sensible explanation why this happened. The only semi-sensible one I could come up with is that somehow the firmware blacklists some unique ID(s) (like the serial code) of my old drive that's not erased when the drive is formatted.

For me, I had to reformat FAT32 my USB 16G stick after the first Sentry upgrade.

Second issue is that Sentry mode doesn't auto delete the files when your USB is full like the dashcam.

For both issues the gray x on icon for dashcam went away.

So I'm going to get a 64 or 128G soon.

Irwin

At least you folks are getting an x. In my case, after 5.15, I noticed no dashcam icon at all. Looking at the thumb drive (32 Gb) I saw a few recordings from a few days earlier but when I played them, all I saw was strange looking noise. Reformatting and adding the TeslaCam folder did not help. Still no icon at all.

Reactions: VQTRVA
When you plug in your USB drive it will take a few seconds (at least mine did) until the red light appears on the TeslaCam icon. Red means it's started to record the buffer files. If you get an X it means there's not enough room on the drive and it won't record.

When TeslaCam was only the forward camera used, people using small capacity drives had no problems as it was only 1 hour of 1 min. clips of 30MB each so a buffer folder of 1.8GB; and those files would write over themselves. With the latest update however, you now had 3 cameras for the buffer, increasing the buffer folder to 5.4GB. Add to that 3 cameras recording separate folders of saved files of 10 minutes each and each file saved will be approximately 0.9GB each. You do the math for your drive size.

My dashcam has been working fine right up to 5.15 release. Now I get the 'x' in the camera box, even after formatting a new 16GB drive. Could this be an issue with the 5.15 release?

If you've been successfully recording using the drive and have not cleaned out your SavedClip folder, with a 16GB flashdrive I suspect you have filled up the drive to the point TeslaCam won't record at this point. Check it on your computer and see how much free space you have.

My 32 GB Samsung stopped working after repeated Active Sentry mode recordings. I was opening and shutting trunk about 10 times while running over 9 hours and everytime I closed trunk it recorded. I reformatted and camera icon will not display in car now. I put a new formatted Samsung 32 GB usb in today also and it doesn't work at all, no icon either. Sentry mode still works with center tablet display red orb and it says recording. I'm on 5.15. I'm at a loss what is going on? Might be time to call Tesla and/or hope new software will work. How long does Tesla keep Sentry mode footage?

When my 16GB drive was working I could look at the videos on my computer, but never saw how or where it saved 10-min clips. Do I need to put a 'saved clips' folder on the thumb drive?

No, the only folder you need to create is the TeslaCam folder at root level on the drive. It will create 2 folders inside of the TeslaCam folder: one, RecentClips -- with the 1-hour buffered footage get saved; and the other one, SavedClips -- where saved driving clips you manually saved get placed and where your Sentry Mode clips go.

Excellent! I don't think I've ever seen folders 'RecentClips' or 'SavedClips - Wonder if I have a problem? Are they generated by the TeslaCam software, or do you need to set them up?
I tried the new SanDisk Ultra USB Flash Drive (128GB) and red dot is back. Remains to be seen what's on it after I try it out tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Excellent! I don't think I've ever seen folders 'RecentClips' or 'SavedClips - Wonder if I have a problem? Are they generated by the TeslaCam software, or do you need to set them up?
I tried the new SanDisk Ultra USB Flash Drive (128GB) and red dot is back. Remains to be seen what's on it after I try it out tomorrow. I'll let you know.

They will be automatically generated inside of the TeslaCam folder. If you have a red dot then your TeslaCam is recording to the buffer (RecentClip folder). You should be OK. When you go to view the USB files on our computer, look for the files inside TeslaCam folder. There will be date/time stamped videos inside of the RecentClip and SavedClip folders.

People also want to be careful when reformatting that they do so using FAT32.

Adding to this thread that firmware 2019.5.15 is corrupting any and all USB / SD cards I use including Sandisk Extreme, Samsung EVO and PNY cards.

Currently both Sentry Mode and TeslaCam / Dashcam video recordings are inoperable for all practical purposes.... At least for me.

It may 'record' for 5 minutes but inevitably the camera icon with the grey x appears and the card is corrupted.

At least you folks are getting an x. In my case, after 5.15, I noticed no dashcam icon at all. Looking at the thumb drive (32 Gb) I saw a few recordings from a few days earlier but when I played them, all I saw was strange looking noise. Reformatting and adding the TeslaCam folder did not help. Still no icon at all.

No dash cam here as well.

I reformatted and camera icon will not display in car now. I put a new formatted Samsung 32 GB usb in today also and it doesn't work at all, no icon either. Sentry mode still works with center tablet display red orb and it says recording. I'm on 5.15. I'm at a loss what is going on? Might be time to call Tesla and/or hope new software will work. How long does Tesla keep Sentry mode footage?

You folks get your dash cam icon back?
Lost mine yesterday & my flash drive isn't showing any corruption on the pc. Just no dash cam icon to do any recording. So no new videos today .