Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No subwoofer in '23 Model 3 standard range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I use a step down converter that converts from 16A to 12A?
By the time you add a step-down converter, (16v to 12v) from a cost and complexity point of view you are probably better off just finding an amp that works with the existing system. If you had an existing amp that you absolutely loved (Like an old McIntosh amp) and wanted to incorporate it into the Tesla maybe there's a case for finding a suitable step down converter, but I wouldn't choose the wrong product, then add parts to it to hopefully make it work with the Tesla. There are some very low quality step down converters out there, and to find a quality one in the few hundred-watt range it plus the amp you are trying to make work, you are probably at the same or higher cost than something like the Skar SK-M5001D which is rated to work up to 16v.

By the time you add a step-down converter, (16v to 12v) from a cost and complexity point of view you are probably better off just finding an amp that works with the existing system. If you had an existing amp that you absolutely loved (Like an old McIntosh amp) and wanted to incorporate it into the Tesla maybe there's a case for finding a suitable step down converter, but I wouldn't choose the wrong product, then add parts to it to hopefully make it work with the Tesla. There are some very low quality step down converters out there, and to find a quality one in the few hundred-watt range it plus the amp you are trying to make work, you are probably at the same or higher cost than something like the Skar SK-M5001D which is rated to work up to 16v.
How about this one that costs like $25? Says it takes in 15-40V and outputs 12V at 30A which is more than enough watts for powered subs or smaller 8” ones.

12V Step Down Voltage... Amazon.com

How about this one that costs like $25? Says it takes in 15-40V and outputs 12V at 30A which is more than enough watts for powered subs or smaller 8” ones.

12V Step Down Voltage... Amazon.com
While it could work, I wouldn't put something like that in my car. I have used a product like that in a 48v scooter to provide 12v for lights and a small stereo. It worked for a while and failed on the customer, we didn't replace it, he just added a Bluetooth speaker. Quality will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, Amazon/Aliexpress would be rolling the dice.

I don't want to discourage people from seeking budget options to improve the stereo but these aren't $1500 winter beaters (yet), the electronics and software in these cars can be finicky, and damaging anything in the car will cost as much or likely much much more than the basic Kicker system that I'm running.

The weather is a bit nicer around here this week, I'm hoping to install the Skar amp/sub for evaluation. It's rated for 16v power and comes in at a great price point (in my opinion).