Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No USB drive for camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my MY in November, 2020, I added a USB hub in the console and hid as SSD drive in it to record videos from the camera system. Recently, my camera system most often has a little "x" on it, so I assumed that the drive had died. I ordered a new one, and went to install it, and the car's system does not see it at all, and therefore did not format it. I then looked at what was on the drive, and it seems that everything is simply videos of me driving, but I could not find any of the videos of when someone came near the car and the sentry system captured it. I then assumed that the car must have been using the original USB in the glovebox for the sentry camera videos, and perhaps that was full. But there is no USB drive in the glovebox, and there is no USB port in the glovebox.

Anyone have any ideas??

I am deleting some of the videos from the old SSD drive, and am going to try putting that back in.

That did not work. Have a repair scheduled for Thursday. Will post what they find.
Formatting the drive, and then making a folder called "TeslaCam" on the drive does the trick for me.

Do a 2-button restart afterward, and wake the car BEFORE you open the door to get in (like opening the trunk or doing something in the app), or it will keep saying "dashcam unavailable".

Tesla is fully incompetent. This has been an issue for over a year now.

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
Formatting the drive, and then making a folder called "TeslaCam" on the drive does the trick for me.

Do a 2-button restart afterward, and wake the car BEFORE you open the door to get in (like opening the trunk or doing something in the app), or it will keep saying "dashcam unavailable".

Tesla is fully incompetent. This has been an issue for over a year now.
This is good info, I'm a new Y owner and also adding some extra cams. I cleared the SSD card and did the TESLACAM, but also adding the steps you listed.

Reactions: AS9.9.