Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I am supercharging, I hear a clunk sound periodically from the back of the car. Anyone else notice this and what causes this to happen?

Also, went to Queensbury, NY supercharger and heard the clunk and then it starting barely charging...when I switched stalls, the same thing happened. Anyone have something like that happen at a supercharger location? How does Tesla know about needing to fix the superchargers there?

upload_2020-10-5_8-57-23.png

Could be the same issue.

Completely normal. The noise is the aluminum battery cover flexing like a cookie sheet in the oven does. It happens mostly at SuperChargers as they push way more power which also creates heat. Nothing to worry about, I agree in the beginning it can be quite jarring to hear but it's all fine.

The SuperChargers do not need to be fixed, they're working normal. Also, there is no way to "tell" Tesla to fix a SuperCharger but fear not, they "know" it's broken or whatever because the chargers are networked and viewable in real-time. Now how fast they actually get fixed is a different story....

And since you're starting to hear these noises with your car, the fan will run after you get out of the vehicle. This is partially to get rid of moisture in the HVAC system so you don't get the stinky feet smell. It also runs to cool the batteries after driving, you may hear fan noise for quite awhile and it's all normal. I highly recommend reading the Model 3 section as most of this "Stickied Threads" in the different sections over there.

Thumps and clunks while charging

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

Thunk while supercharging

While the superchargers are creating some of this heat as a result of the charge rate, most of the heat is being generated by the vehicle itself in order to raise the cell temperature, which is necessary in order to maximize the charge rate when supercharging. This is done by using the motors to generate heat, even when stationary, which is then captured by the coolant system and passed through the battery pack. The battery management system uses this method to get the cell temp up to 120F. Bjorn Nyland on YouTube has thoroughly broken this process down to understand what exactly the battery management system is doing when supercharging and immediately beforehand if you navigate to one.

Reactions: Matsayz
Interesting enough, Tesla has an updated version of the breather valves for the Model 3 to reduce the bangs and thumps when supercharging or large elevation changes. I would have thought Tesla put this new part in all new cars... but maybe it’s a revision they only put in if customers complain? Could there be any benefit to having a tighter seal with a less “flexible” relief valve?

Interesting enough, Tesla has an updated version of the breather valves for the Model 3 to reduce the bangs and thumps when supercharging or large elevation changes. I would have thought Tesla put this new part in all new cars... but maybe it’s a revision they only put in if customers complain? Could there be any benefit to having a tighter seal with a less “flexible” relief valve?
For what it’s worth, my Model 3 (Dec 2018 build) experienced these supercharger noises, whereas my Model Y (August 2020 build) does not.