Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise reduction kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY is a little rough at low speed on residential streets and noisy on highway.Brought to SC and they said it is normal. Maybe I am used to a BMW so MY is a bit rough. I really feel and hear every little bump. Enough to bother me a bit.
I have the stock Continental tire and Gemini wheels.

Can someone recommend a noise reduction kit? The guy who did my PPF will put in on for me for free but he does not know what brand. He said several of his MY customers have done it.

Those noise reduction kits marketed for the MY do absolutely nothing to reduce noise in the cabin.

If you really want to fix the problem (and yes it is a problem on a $70K vehicle) then you need to install new glass and noise dampening materials throughout the vehicle.

• Love
Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I agree that door and hatch kits do not offer much, if any, noise reduction and only protect some parts of doors and hatches from getting dirty. I've read of a few folks that used sheets of rigid plastic material to cover some gaps in the suspension covering panels.

many folks, myself included, have replaced the OEM tires to get a smoother and quieter ride. I did it with Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tires, Most people are going with Vredestein tires, don't remember which model, but the Bridgestones are quiet a bit more expensive but offer a much longer tread life. They helped with ride and noise some.

I also bought these: UPP Luxury Coil-Over Kit. They are pricey, but offer full range of adjust ability from very soft to full track mode. i haven't installed them yet (maybe this coming weekend).

Good luck!!

I agree that door and hatch kits do not offer much, if any, noise reduction and only protect some parts of doors and hatches from getting dirty. I've read of a few folks that used sheets of rigid plastic material to cover some gaps in the suspension covering panels.

many folks, myself included, have replaced the OEM tires to get a smoother and quieter ride. I did it with Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tires, Most people are going with Vredestein tires, don't remember which model, but the Bridgestones are quiet a bit more expensive but offer a much longer tread life. They helped with ride and noise some.

I also bought these: UPP Luxury Coil-Over Kit. They are pricey, but offer full range of adjust ability from very soft to full track mode. i haven't installed them yet (maybe this coming weekend).

Good luck!!
Can I get the UPP kit installed by a local mechanics? Will Tesla have an issue with it regarding warranty? I am definitely willing to pay as the current drive bothers me a bit. I guess I did not test drive it under the right conditions before buying it, but I still like everything except the harsh drive, so I am willing to pay a few more grands to rectify it.

Can I get the UPP kit installed by a local mechanics? Will Tesla have an issue with it regarding warranty? I am definitely willing to pay as the current drive bothers me a bit. I guess I did not test drive it under the right conditions before buying it, but I still like everything except the harsh drive, so I am willing to pay a few more grands to rectify it.
I’m sure you can find a 3rd party to install the springs.

Tesla will deny any warranty claim they can trace back to the suspension.

I think we’ve moved off topic from the OP.

I’m looking at these cheap options to seal around the doors for wind noise and some road noise. Ultimately - yes double pane glass works well but I missed that VIN - so I’m considering dynamat or other sound deadening materials.

My wife’s 2008 Mazda5 has a long roof & floor (as it’s a low end minivan) but once we sound deadened the roof & floors - man what a difference! It’s not Mercedes quiet - but it’s soo much more manageable.

Side note - I have the UPP moderate springs for a 1” drop and love the and look. @GeezerSquid - I’m super interested in your UPP coil over installation.

Attachments

• 9834F0BA-CA87-4FDE-A62B-652DEFF92469.jpeg
    9834F0BA-CA87-4FDE-A62B-652DEFF92469.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 75
I installed the RPMTesla noise kit (seals for doors, trunk, trunk). It did reduce noise a bit such that I could then hear the windshield/roof interface wind noise. The car still transmits road noise through the back suspension and body though.

I installed the RPMTesla noise kit (seals for doors, trunk, trunk). It did reduce noise a bit such that I could then hear the windshield/roof interface wind noise. The car still transmits road noise through the back suspension and body though.

I'm wondering if those here that are complaining of noise from the rear of the car are coming from sedans w/ trunks, steel decking/structural support behind the rear seats, etc., as opposed to the totally open (acoustically) space behind the seats? I test drove several Ys, and the hollow, mildly boomy sound coming from behind the rear seats seemed entirely normal to me, given the structural design.

I'm wondering if those here that are complaining of noise from the rear of the car are coming from sedans w/ trunks, steel decking/structural support behind the rear seats, etc., as opposed to the totally open (acoustically) space behind the seats? I test drove several Ys, and the hollow, mildly boomy sound coming from behind the rear seats seemed entirely normal to me, given the structural design.
For me it's the boomy sound. It is definitely more noticeable in the MY than other (ICE) SUVs I've owned. It is possible the boominess is more apparent due to the absence of engine noise. This noise exists in my Model 3 as well but practically absent (you'd have to really pay attention to discern it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stach
To my ears, there is much more infrasonic noise than any car I've driven. It takes away from hearing the nice sound system. If you tap your fingers on various surfaces in the sub trunk, its pretty resonant and undamped (drums anyone?). I did take out the liner and apply dynamat to the inside and bottom of the lower storage bin and it helped, but subtly.

Its an interesting set of design choices.. My wife's model S is super quiet in comparison. Other than that rumble noise, I love the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Stach