Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

Noises from the car while in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: Why does my car start doing something when I am not near it or have not been in it for hours? The cars dash displays and there is a noise coming from the from of the car.

Is this normal?

I am guessing that it may be the air suspension keeping the car at the high setting that I need to get into my garage. If so is the suspension leaking air?

I also once while sitting it the car hear a loud thump as though something hit the rear of the car. It was in the garage at the time.

I have only had the car since 6/7/216 so I am learning.

Thanks for any ideas.

The car monitors and maintains many things even if you're not in the car - most importantly battery state and temperature. It's also watching for remote acccess requests from you (through the app) as well as from Tesla. Any of these may wake up displays and make additional noises. So it may be normal. But if you have concerns, you can certainly talk to service and have them pull the car's logs to see what activity was going on at the time that you noticed the noises. I'm sure they'd be able to tell you and as to whether there was any concerns such as the air suspension issue that you mention.

Probably that's the A/C compressor unit turning on. You might want to go into the Console, look under Settings, and Vehicle (I think) and a setting at the bottom of the screen, Pre-conditioning. If its set to On, then the car learns from your driving habits and starts cooling itself in anticipation of you departing. You might want to set this to Off to gauge how it stops running things without your involvement.

It is strange. I don't drive the car very often but have noticed that when I go into the garage the dash is on but the circle around the charging cable in off. Sometimes on and sometimes off. Sometimes every thing is off but not too often. It seems very strange.

I recently learned that the instrument panel will stay on while the car is charging or plugged in if you have walk-away door locking set to off. I normally keep it set on, however a recent OTA update turned it off without my knowledge.