Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy A/S +3 tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed these Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3+ tires on their m3p with 20” OEM wheels?
I replaced the stock Michelin PSS with these on the front and boy are they loud, especially after 60mph,
They would make a constant howling sound that only super loud radio could drown it. If so, how did it resolve? And what tire pressures are you using?
I read that breaking them in after 1500miles has helped, but I’ve reached that without any change.
Is that why they use the acoustic material inside the stock Michelin PSS?
Anyways, thanks in advance if you have an answer, just hoping for some all season tires with the freezing temp coming.

Has anyone installed these Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3+ tires on their m3p with 20” OEM wheels?
I replaced the stock Michelin PSS with these on the front and boy are they loud, especially after 60mph,
They would make a constant howling sound that only super loud radio could drown it. If so, how did it resolve? And what tire pressures are you using?
I read that breaking them in after 1500miles has helped, but I’ve reached that without any change.
Is that why they use the acoustic material inside the stock Michelin PSS?
Anyways, thanks in advance if you have an answer, just hoping for some all season tires with the freezing temp coming.

Yes they do sing a bit. We had a set of four of those on one of our dual motor performance cars for a while. But since we're in Florida now regularly in the winter months, we didn't use them for very long. It's more of the tread pattern that's causing the noise I believe rather than the lack of acoustic foam. I have a non-tesla 265/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the front of my car and while it might be microscopically louder than the Tesla spec 235/35 with acoustic foam the difference isn't dramatic. If I remember correctly the Tire Rack review of the Michelin Pilot Sport all season 3 + did comment on their tendency to sing a bit loudly. Top-rated in every other way.

We've done significant work to noise-reduce the cars including extra door seals, and dynamatting the doors, the trunk, Etc. I'd recommend at the very least that you look into the noise reduction from doubling up the door seals. From there, I'd get the RPM Tesla wind reduction kit, or the equivalent. After that, it's somewhat higher labor operations to reduce noise. One of the things that I'm working on right now is I'm pulling out all the wheel liners and putting a Dynamat type noise insulator with closed cell foam in all the wheel wells. Obviously that's a lot of work. I'll let you know how that turns out though.

Did I read your post correctly - you have a set of these just on the front? What's on the rear?

Last edited:
Thanks for all that advice, yes the rears still have some PSS stock that I’m just trying to milk a few extra miles. As far as singing, it seems vastly more than just a sing to my ears . I dunno, I’m glad I got two as a trial, this May force me to consider going back to oem

I have the PS A/S on my 18" wheels. They've gotten a bit quieter over time, but definitely a bit louder than the MXM4s my car came with. The performance of them is definitely better though. I love the performance but I miss the quietness at highway speed.