Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Hankook iON evo AS vs Pirelli AS+ Elect vs Michelin PS 4S vs Michelin PS AS 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested all these tires back to back on either a Tesla Model 3 or Y. I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y (wife’s).

My goal was to have a great handling tire (makes me happy) that can handle the occasional snow, is quiet, and has good range.

For context, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on both the 3 and Y. This is by far the best handling tire, really amazing, our benchmark for handling, and is just a joy to drive. I’m in Colorado though and for nov/dec/apr, we can see temps below 40, which is a no-no for driving the PS4S, so I wanted something more cold tolerant during the shoulder seasons. We have winter wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3, which we love) for ski season.

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4:
I drove this on a Performance Model Y (Tesla test drive). Handling is very good, and I hear it’s also very good in the snow. Negatives is that it’s loud and it’s not great for range, the former being more important to me.

Pirelli All Season Plus Elect:
We bought these for our Model Y. Handling is good if not great. And it’s quiet and comfortable, and of course it’s tuned for EVs and has good range. We really really like these tires. I would give the edge to the PS AS 4 for handling, but it is slight and totally not enough to justify the range hit or how loud they are.

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:
I just bought these for my 3. It was a gamble because I couldn’t find any reviews on them. They are brand new to the market. Overall, I definitively do not like them. The handling is terrible for a car like the model 3 w/ AB. It feels super floaty and squirrelly when cornering. The noise level is not great either surprisingly. Strangely enough, it’s relatively louder at slower speeds, but does seem to be quiet on the highway. The Pirelli’s have way better handling and seem quieter all around. Aside from noise and handling, there is one thing the evos does really well. It feels like a bat out if hell when accelerating in a straight line. You can tell the engineering is optimized for that trait. I do like that a lot, and I’m sure it has great range, and I would accept the noise level too, but the handling is just too awful, I can’t accept it. That said, if you’re not a spirited driver, I think the evos are a great value. They’re just not for me.

Overall, I think the Pirelli AS PE hit all the cords I’m looking for. The Michelin PS AS 4’s are a close second and might also be better in snow, but we’re not optimizing for snow since we have winter tires. And the quiet ride and good range is also very much appreciated.

I hope this review helps others out there!

All these new EV tires are very exciting. I’m a huge Michelin fan, but they need to up their game on EV tires. For now, Pirelli is winning my business.

The_tire_wheel_of_TESLA_MODEL_3.jpg

"File:The tire wheel of TESLA MODEL 3.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I tested all these tires back to back on either a Tesla Model 3 or Y. I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y (wife’s).

My goal was to have a great handling tire (makes me happy) that can handle the occasional snow, is quiet, and has good range.

For context, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on both the 3 and Y. This is by far the best handling tire, really amazing, our benchmark for handling, and is just a joy to drive. I’m in Colorado though and for nov/dec/apr, we can see temps below 40, which is a no-no for driving the PS4S, so I wanted something more cold tolerant during the shoulder seasons. We have winter wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3, which we love) for ski season.

I drove this on a Performance Model Y (Tesla test drive). Handling is very good, and I hear it’s also very good in the snow. Negatives is that it’s loud and it’s not great for range, the former being more important to me.

We bought these for our Model Y. Handling is good if not great. And it’s quiet and comfortable, and of course it’s tuned for EVs and has good range. We really really like these tires. I would give the edge to the PS AS 4 for handling, but it is slight and totally not enough to justify the range hit or how loud they are.

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:
I just bought these for my 3. It was a gamble because I couldn’t find any reviews on them. They are brand new to the market. Overall, I definitively do not like them. The handling is terrible for a car like the model 3 w/ AB. It feels super floaty and squirrelly when cornering. The noise level is not great either surprisingly. Strangely enough, it’s relatively louder at slower speeds, but does seem to be quiet on the highway. The Pirelli’s have way better handling and seem quieter all around. Aside from noise and handling, there is one thing the evos does really well. It feels like a bat out if hell when accelerating in a straight line. You can tell the engineering is optimized for that trait. I do like that a lot, and I’m sure it has great range, and I would accept the noise level too, but the handling is just too awful, I can’t accept it. That said, if you’re not a spirited driver, I think the evos are a great value. They’re just not for me.

Overall, I think the Pirelli AS PE hit all the cords I’m looking for. The Michelin PS AS 4’s are a close second and might also be better in snow, but we’re not optimizing for snow since we have winter tires. And the quiet ride and good range is also very much appreciated.

All these new EV tires are very exciting. I’m a huge Michelin fan, but they need to up their game on EV tires. For now, Pirelli is winning my business.

View attachment 942268
"File:The tire wheel of TESLA MODEL 3.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
For me your feedback
Validates I stick with Mich
Still wonders about Hankook
No Pirelli as I am in snow area
Mich do amazing in snow

Reactions: timberlights

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:

View attachment 942268
So do the Pirelli AS PE have BETTER range/charge than the OEM tires, or do you think they give up some range for the improved handling?

I bought the PS4AS and they were so much better than the stock MXM4s, I pretty much fell in love with them immediately. Very quiet, cornered well, just an overall great tire. However, they ate so much range that it was a dealbreaker.

Ended up returning them to Discount Tire and swapping them for Hankook Ion Evos instead. Not a bad tire at all and the efficiency is great.
How does this work? Discount Tires accepts returns?

I'm running CrossClimate 2's for the last 61k miles and they need to be replaced. I'm considering Hankook ION's but wanted to hear from some of the folks that were running CrossClimates and then switched to ION's. How are you still liking them as compared to the CrossClimates?

Just before Christmas 2023 I bought Hankook Ion EV As for 21 MY LR. The Hankook's were the third set of tires that I have purchased and they replaced the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. The original tires on this MY were Continental's, but I do not remember the model. I got 45895 miles on the DWS06 Plus. Had the tires rotated every 6500-7000 miles and had the air pressure at 45 PSI.
I have found that the Hankook's are significantly quieter than either set of Continentals. Been able to reduce the volume on the radio. Does seem to be a change in efficiency between the different tires brands. The weather has not been the best to evaluate efficiency because of cold temperatures, heavy rains, strong winds, and Winter weather. Car has handle very well in the rains and slick streets. When the pavement has been dry the Hankooks have performed well in accelerating and handling curves.
Moving to the Hankooks have been a positive change. The most noticeable effect has been quietness.

I'm running CrossClimate 2's for the last 61k miles and they need to be replaced. I'm considering Hankook ION's but wanted to hear from some of the folks that were running CrossClimates and then switched to ION's. How are you still liking them as compared to the CrossClimates?
I drove CrossClimate 2s for 38k miles before retiring them and switching to Hankook Ion EVO AS tires. The CrossClimate 2s were great for all weather, including mud and rain. Didn't test them on snow because I use dedicated winter tires. They were just a bit noisier and not efficient. After I switched to the Ion EVO tires I definitely noticed that they were a bit quieter and much, much more efficient. I haven't tested them in mud, but they probably won't do so good there. The Ion EVO treads probably won't last me half as much as the CrossClimate 2s did. There's always a tradeoff.

I bet they will. Usually winter focused tires are softer and wear more in warmer longer distance driving.
I've had 7 sets of tires (all Michelins of different kinds except for the Hankook Ion EVOs) and they usually last me 21k to 28k miles. The CrossClimate 2s were my longest lasting tires at 38k, and they mostly still have a very good amount of tread left. Only retired them because I had a blowout on one of the tires and also had uneven wear on the passenger side tires. They are directional, so you can't cross rotate them either to even out wear. I doubt the Ion EVO tires will get anywhere close to the CrossClimate 2s.

I bet they will. Usually winter focused tires are softer and wear more in warmer longer distance driving.
I think you got it backwards - the CrossClimate 2s, despite having a triple-peak snow rating and performing very well in the snow, are extremely long wearing tires.

Their biggest downside to the CC2 is the efficiency (which sucks compared to the MXM4 and Ion Evos). But I also would expect them to last longer than both those tires, too.

I do wonder how well the CC2's cold/snow weather performance holds up over time, as they wear, though. With how much tread remaining would you want to replace them if you are driving them in the snow?

Just had my Hankook Ion Evo AS r20 installed on my model 3. For the first time, the road noise is not covering my radio. I found it even quieterthan the 19 inch stock tire I had last year. Quite pleased to with its price, my tyre shop is charging the Hankook 25% less than the Michelin PS4.
Agree
These as the leading AS tires
PS4
HIONEVO

any update on how you like these (Hancock ION EVO)?
After wearing out my PZeros (ca. 25k miles), I had the brand-new Hancook Ion EVO 92 summer version (not AS) mounted on 20" forged wheels on my '21 M3P, and drove them exactly one day.

Excellent noise suppression (primitive foam strip glued to the tire's inside, but it seems to work), but mushy, imprecise feedback from the tire to my steering input, sloppy cornering, and an overall feeling of not being connected to the road very well during spirited driving.

Discount Tire gave a full refund and applied it to the purchase of Michelin PS4S. I am in heaven now. While the original PZeros came close, nothing compares to PS4S for me. Precise handling, assured cornering, with no guess work of the tire's limit.

But everything is a compromise chosen according to one's preferences: If you want a quieter ride, but do not mind compromising handling, the Hancooks are an option. The next quiet tire, with handling almost as good as the Michelins is the PZero, but that one is not far off from the considerable noise level generated by the PS4S (all three are Tesla-rated, with foam liner).

I bought the M3P because it's probably the best handling electric car currently available (don't want a 5000lbs electric Porsche "sports" car). The PS4S is the ideal complement to the handling characteristics of the M3P. My compromise: wearing earplugs on long trips.

Last edited:
After wearing out my PZeros (ca. 25k miles), I had the brand-new Hancook Ion EVO 92 summer version (not AS) mounted on 20" forged wheels on my '21 M3P, and drove them exactly one day.

Excellent noise suppression (primitive foam strip glued to the tire's inside, but it seems to work), but mushy, imprecise feedback from the tire to my steering input, sloppy cornering, and an overall feeling of not being connected to the road very well during spirited driving.

Discount Tire gave a full refund and applied it to the purchase of Michelin PS4S. I am in heaven now. While the original PZeros came close, nothing compares to PS4S for me. Precise handling, assured cornering, with no guess work of the tire's limit.

But everything is a compromise chosen according to one's preferences: If you want a quieter ride, but do not mind compromising handling, the Hancooks are an option. The next quiet tire, with handling almost as good as the Michelins is the PZero, but that one is not far off from the considerable noise level generated by the PS4S (all three are Tesla-rated, with foam liner).

I bought the M3P because it's probably the best handling electric car currently available (don't want a 5000lbs electric Porsche "sports" car). The PS4S is the ideal complement to the handling characteristics of the M3P. My compromise: wearing earplugs on long trips.
everyone on this forum keeps talking the praises of PS4S and hard to beat
interesting how well it keeps holding up
I have them and so far, will get be refreshing with them in the future

Just before Christmas 2023 I bought Hankook Ion EV As for 21 MY LR. The Hankook's were the third set of tires that I have purchased and they replaced the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. The original tires on this MY were Continental's, but I do not remember the model. I got 45895 miles on the DWS06 Plus. Had the tires rotated every 6500-7000 miles and had the air pressure at 45 PSI.
I have found that the Hankook's are significantly quieter than either set of Continentals. Been able to reduce the volume on the radio. Does seem to be a change in efficiency between the different tires brands. The weather has not been the best to evaluate efficiency because of cold temperatures, heavy rains, strong winds, and Winter weather. Car has handle very well in the rains and slick streets. When the pavement has been dry the Hankooks have performed well in accelerating and handling curves.
Moving to the Hankooks have been a positive change. The most noticeable effect has been quietness.

I second this and share a similar experience. For those wanting more details on efficiency, you can check out my earlier post #42 for some interesting observations.

Context (quick recap):

I have Michelin PS4 All Seasons on my M3P. Excellent tires, just obnoxiously noisy. The frequency and pitch is right at that level where it's bothersome. Wife hates it and people who have been in the car also comment on it without even bringing it up.

The MYP is riding on the Hankook iON All Seasons and they are Excellent. - A ton of winter driving into the mountains and a lot of driving in dry hot regions as well. It handles just as well as the Michelin PS4 All Seasons from my experience, but it's noticeably quieter with a much softer/lower pitch. That foam really works.

For those curious about tread-wear, keep in mind that the Hankook iON AS tires are rated at 600, which is really good compared to some others that hover around ~540. From my observation during the last tire rotation, the tires are holding up well and wearing at a healthy rate. No abnormalties.

Update to the earlier post #42:

A friend has a MYP with the exact same wheel size/set up as our MYP, except with the Michelin PS4 All Seasons. We've had numerous experiences going from one Y to the other on multiple occasions. The Hankook's are hands down much quieter and pleasant. Having the opportunity to go back to back with an apples to apples comparison is very telling, but one doesn't even need that luxury to notice the difference.

If you're in the market for one of the top All Season tires, Hankook's should honestly be on your short list. I've had Michelin's on all my previous performance cars and like them a lot (I'm very picky), but as mentioned previously in the older post about there being a new kid on the block, this new kid doesn't need to prove itself anymore to be considered among the top picks as it checks all the right boxes.

Based on my personal experiences, the next set of tires for the M3P will undoubtly be the Hankook iONs. This is coming from someone who loves Michelin's.

It's also interesting that the Hankook's are on the new model 3s... they're not the iONs, but EV focused tires.

I got the Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus ELECT on our P85 last year in part thanks to reviews & comparisons in this thread.

I'll vouch for what @Mjezzi wrote in the first post - they're a really nice combo of quiet (seriously quiet), efficient, and still handling well. Are they the absolute sharpest or grippiest UHP all-season? I doubt it. Every tire is a set of tradeoffs though. If you want quietness and efficiency but still care about handling, they're really good.

That said, for our modded M3P on coilovers I have different priorities. The much newer M3P is far more efficient even with a less efficient tire, and the sporty upgraded suspension really calls for top performing tires with less concern for noise or efficiency. Different strokes for different machines. ;)

It's a shame that the non-AS Hankook iON evo tyre is not available in North America. They have a treadwear rating of 320 and seem an excellent alternative to Pirelli PZERO ELECT. I just had a set fitted to my M3P. Immediately noticed how quiet they are.
It is available in North America in a few places (search for IK01 code not IH01 code).

example:

The AS version has a 50k mile treadwear warranty, but the summer version has none, despite being at the same price. That says to me that it will wear out quickly. Even the Michelin PS4S has a 30K treadwear warranty in USA.

It won't be a big seller---and people who want performance tires (summer is bought only for perf vehicles in NA) are often likely to choose more clearly known performance tires like the Michelin PS4S or new Continental which are not EV focused, and only in warm areas or for summer pleasure cars.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
people who want performance tires (summer is bought only for perf vehicles in NA) are often likely to choose more clearly known performance tires like the Michelin PS4S
Michelin PS4s were my defacto choice but the Hankooks are two energy efficiency ratings (12%) and two noise ratings (3dB) better, which is particularly important for Performance EVs.