Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid rear tire failures and defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1-year-old Model S (8500 miles) Plaid rear tires failed 6 weeks apart. Michelin pilot 4S 295 30 ZR21 T2.

On both tires the sidewall delaminated from the bead in the area where the DOT number is printed. The first one lost pressure while driving on smooth pavement. Second one never lost pressure but simply had a big flap of the sidewall hanging off.

I always ensure that the tires were driven at the correct pressure and they were never exposed to any abnormal conditions. Both tires had over 65% of their tread, life left and no other visible damage on the tires or the wheels.

Now I'm a bit conflicted with the idea of putting the same tires on the same vehicle and expecting a different outcome.

I wish the NHTSA / Tesla / Michelin would take action as this is clearly a manufacturing defect and putting me and my family at risk. However, I am unaware of alternative tires. I can install that meet OEM specs.

Isn't this an alignment issue and not a failure of the tire? Maybe too much negative toe on the rear?
IMG_0251.JPG