Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

nokian hakkapeliitta r3 vs michelin x-ice on rwd model 3. Which one stick more on ice and snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I live in Canada where snow gets brutal in the winter. I have a rwd model 3 on delivery. I want to prepare for the worst. Based on my research here, michelin x-ice and nokian hallapelitta r3 are the two most popular. But I wonder which one has the best traction on snow and ice? I do not need performance just safety and ability to stick on icy and snowy road. Thank you.

Those are great tires. I'm in Quebec City and have run the Hakka R3s on a WRX. They are great in snow and I prefer them for sidewall rigidity, the feeling is closer to a summer tire than other winter I tried before.
There's no such thing as a perfect tire, especially if you want both snow and ice performance. Ice performance normally comes with mushier tire blocks for example. Read the reviews and try to decide if you prefer snow OR ice performance.
A studded Hakka 9 might be the best of both worlds but they are noisy as hell. I had them before on a WRX too and later moved to the R3 to skip the studs.
Have fun in the snow (and ice)

P.S. I'm getting the R3s once I receive my M3...