Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-OEM TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I find cheap(er) generic TPMS on Ebay with a plastic covering that obscures the manufacturer, like this:

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.28.35 AM.png

For $30 - $35 each.
I'd like to hear opinions/experiences using this type of generic product;
Need to know specs to buy outside of the Tesla store;
Or well regarded 3rd party suppliers or OEM manufacturers.

As an aside, could someone explain to me how the TPMS and the car handshake automagically ?

Thanks!

you can use any "new" tpms with tesla.... once the car starts rolling it will detect the tpms sensors... unlike older Model s cars, with the older TPMS sensors Gen 1 i believe... upgrade needed on pre 2014 MS i think.. not sure how you check to see if they work with your rim though... tire rack sells ones for sure.

new one operate at 433mhz vice 315mhz

Last edited:
not sure how you check to see if they work with your rim though
Oh boy, I didn't know that the TPMS has to be matched to the wheel.

One bit taken from the internet:
Most valve stem holes come in a few sizes, with the most common being 0.453 inches and 0.625 inches for snap-in stems. For TPMS valve stems, the size of the hole can be larger for some snap-in and clamp-on holes, but the real problem can be the anatomy of some custom wheels. The valve stem areas may not have the correct size and shape, affecting how a TPMS valve stem seals. Also, some custom rims can have drop centers, barrels and flanges that don’t match up with the original rim or TPMS sensor. But there are some options to address this.

Banding the Sensor
Option 1: Aftermarket Stems and Seals – There are aftermarket stems and seals that can seal stock sensors to custom rims. These can keep the proper orientation and location of the sensor intact.

Option 2: Banding the Sensor – If it is impossible to fit the sensor in the original rim hole, you can attach the sensor with a kit that bands the sensor to the drop center of the rim. These kits come with a metal band and a mounting tab for the sensor. The sensor is attached to the tab using the stock attachment method. When mounting the sensor, make sure it is mounted flat and in the same orientation as it was on the stock rim.

Make sure the sensor is attached across from the valve
stem. Knowing where the sensor is can prevent damaging the sensor when mounting the tire.

Option 3: Looped Valve Stems – This option allows you to mount the TPMS sensor to a mounting hole on the back of the valve stem. These can work for clamp-on sensors on wide truck rims.

Option 4: New Sensors – There are a lot of replacement TPMS sensor lines on the market that will allow you to install a programmable sensor. These have a wide variety of mounting methods, including using snap-in valve stems.

Last edited: