Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tech to Tech upgrades? (navi, HIDs, HD rear view camera, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
​I was going to start multiple different threads, 1 for each upgrade, and hopefully one day we get to a point where there is so much information about each of these mods that it'll require multiple threads, but in the mean time, let's try to condense here....

I didn't get the tech package because I didn't care to have all of those options. I think it's crazy they lump these all together (for almost $4k!) but I'm sure some of us are interested in adding some of these options (either the factory version or a similar aftermarket version). Obviously, with the right know-how, time (and possibly more $$ than it's worth) this is very possible so let's discuss.

Has anyone found a way to upgrade

• GPS navigation system with onboard maps
    and free map updates for seven years
  • Automatic keyless entry
  • High definition back-up camera

• Xenon headlights
  • LED cornering lights
  • Ground lighting under door handles
  • Electrochromatic side mirrors

• Power rear liftgate
  • GPS-enabled Homelink system
  • Memory seats

While we are at it, has anyone without the air-ride upgraded to a factory or an aftermarket air-suspension?

Ok. I'll bite. Here are a few:

1. There are already multiple threads on this forum and over at Teslamotors.com Model S forum about upgrading to Xenon HIDs. I've done this one myself with good results using a Kensun HID conversion kit from Amazon for under $70.

2. My poorman's GPS navigation system involves using my iphone's built-in maps navigation while blue-toothed to the car. Siri provides turn-by-turn directions. I can also follow my progress using the car's map as I drive.

3. I received memory seats as part of the leather seat option. Telsa has since moved this feature to the tech-package. No joy for the non-early adopters.

4. My "SD" backup camera seems more than adequate. I have yet to see anyone do a direct comparison to suggest otherwise. Even a Tesla tech told me that he couldn't tell the difference.

5. I already have ground lighting under door handles on my non-tech MS 60. Not sure what else to say about that.

6. No Homelink, but I have a mini Genie garage door opener ($34 at Home Depot) clipped inside the cubby under the center console, well out of sight. When I pull into my driveway, I reach down (without looking) and press the button. Easy-peasy. Not sure how Homelink is that much better than this.

I have a question about the poormans GPS. I've used this method too and while I agree it works fine, but I got a loaner car last week with the gps and it was really great to have the maps in the dashboard.

There is no way to be listening to FM/Slacker radio or thumb drive while using this method, right? It only works when you have the media source set to bluetooth?

I have a question about the poormans GPS. I've used this method too and while I agree it works fine, but I got a loaner car last week with the gps and it was really great to have the maps in the dashboard.

Would the experience be that much better in your daily driver? For me, I don't have that many opportunities to use maps as I'm rarely somewhere I don't know my way around. For the few exceptions, I have a windshield mount for my iphone that also works well. I think it is a great alternative for the $4K package, but I'm just guessing. What do you think?

There is no way to be listening to FM/Slacker radio or thumb drive while using this method, right? It only works when you have the media source set to bluetooth?

That's correct. It still works OK if you don't have too many turns to make on your trip. For instance, today I used it for a destination that was 45 min away. Looking at the map overview I could see I could get there on my own until the last 3 or 5 miles, so I started the route with Siri and immediately switched over to Slacker. I only switched back to my phone as my media source for the last 5 min of the trip and Siri took me right there.

Last edited: