Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla EV charging at supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please to be explaining how stating the action is wrong, yet because it's not up to you personal arbitrary of wrongness and therefore should not be reported is not "justification". It's literally exactly that.

There's some real BS in the TOS service that I'll steadfastly not "report" someone over. Mostly because it's probably not even legal enforceable outside of leveraging big bags of money to abuse people and the system.

So "it's in the terms of service" is decidedly weak sauce rationale. Rings like "I was just following orders".

Last edited:
There are a lot of "hackers" around". Years ago one appeared on a Ford Fusion Hybrid forum wanting information on hacking and "improving" the operation of the FFH. He got a bad reception as we told him the car was a carefully balanced compromise by Ford and he went away. I would classify the Tesla's and their infrastructure the same way. We are long past putting a new "performance" chip in an engine control computer. Ford has gotten that NiMH FFH HVB to have almost an indefinite cycle life. I think Tesla is shooting for the same with their batteries. Several years ago it was announced that Musk and other officers had formed a small battery recycling company but i haven't heard about it recently.

Does anyone here exceed the speed limit? That would seem to qualify as a dangerous, illegal activity. I know you guys keep it under.
Obviously no one here would mind if charging guy took video of you speeding and reported it to authorities.

Speeding doesn’t deprive anyone else of anything.

By charging without paying for it he’s taking money directly out of Tesla’s pocket. That harms me as a stockholder.

If he’s planning to sell these cheat devices and they proliferate then it will also harm all of us as owners by blocking the charging network we paid for and he didn’t.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Whatever the case, the guy is pennies brilliant but pound moronic.

Watching your back over 2 bucks a night and scheduling your charging foray at the oddest of hours is the highest waste of opportunity cost and ROI I have ever read in recent memory.

If you were going to steal from Tesla, transfer funds or something in a manner no one can detect.

Plugging a golf with some weird contraption is going to get your ass busted sooner than later. Act as if you belong isn’t gonna work here for social engineering.

I would have stumbled on this person with both the Tesla dash cam and blackvue. No escape.

I’m not a snitch.. but the problem is there is no way this guy can convince me what he is doing is feeding his family.

Messing up a SC for other owners is not somethings anyone of us should tolerate.

[
Whatever the case, the guy is pennies brilliant but pound moronic.

Watching your back over 2 bucks a night and scheduling your charging foray at the oddest of hours is the highest waste of opportunity cost and ROI I have ever read in recent memory.
OR he's actually being truthful about his motivation, and not doing it for the money but rather it's just a mountain there that he wants to climb. A time honoured engineering tradition. That's the rational way to process this, right? Of course he's not "feeling his family" with a couple dollars of electricity.

Projection is a hellva drug, ya know. :p

Last edited:
Did it look like this? If so, he stole it from a Tesla Semi!

Attachments

• 20180308_133827.jpg
    20180308_133827.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Someone said about "$2.00". Would whomever feels that taking $2.00 worth of anything is ok, be ok if someone came into their house and took $2.00 worth of stuff? If that's ok... good on you! However, how about if they came every night?

I used to have that situation, and I never thought it a such a big deal. We owned small orchard near a public area and people would pick our apples regularly. We never fussed about it and yes people did it regularly. I would strongly suspect we had more $ of apples taken relative to the size of our business than Tesla ever has for electricity being stolen.

It's theft. What level of theft are you comfortable with?

Most of us are comfortable with some level. I own a business and know my employees waste time on the internet when they should be doing what I am paying them for. This is a form of theft. I wonder how many of these posts were made by people at work performing minor larceny.

I used to have that situation, and I never thought it a such a big deal. We owned small orchard near a public area and people would pick our apples regularly. We never fussed about it and yes people did it regularly. I would strongly suspect we had more $ of apples taken relative to the size of our business than Tesla ever has for electricity being stolen.

Most of us are comfortable with some level. I own a business and know my employees waste time on the internet when they should be doing what I am paying them for. This is a form of theft. I wonder how many of these posts were made by people at work performing minor larceny.
I don't disagree that many owners of property/service are willing to overlook such as a gesture of good will. Clearly said owner has that right to decide.

I take issue with other people presumptuously deciding that on behalf of the owner.

I would remove the notion from your head that the eGolf Bandit was doing what he did to steal power for his regular use. The area we are in is heavily serviced by free EV charging stations. Getting free power is easily done in our area without any gadgets needed. He told me he could not charge fast - this makes sense as it said most other EV could not handle the charge speeds of superchargers. So it would make zero sense to build anything at any price to hook your EV to superchargers.

The most logical things he could be doing are:
  1. Building something for the challenge as he claimed
  2. Playing a gag of some kind
  3. (unlikely to me) trying to invent a device he could later sell to other that don't have abundant EV charging options
  4. (unlikely to me) creating a device for road trips

The way that posting while at work is regulated is by a system known as "give and take".

You get your projects done, you don't drop any balls, and you are always available for extra time, extra effort for clutch situations.

Not sure what "giving back" is being done by eGolf hacker.

Interesting comparison. I wonder... if you had as many orchards as Tesla has Superchargers... and you had this level of theft at each orchard - would you be as forgiving? Conversely, if said apple thief was obtaining info for others to do as he was doing, and many, many people started taking apples... would you feel the same level of complacency?

I own a business and know my employees waste time on the internet when they should be doing what I am paying them for. This is a form of theft. I wonder how many of these posts were made by people at work performing minor larceny.

I too own a business. As @MXWing stated, there is some give and take. Yes, employees - when given access - will surf the net on company time. As long as all that I have asked has been accomplished, and no customers are wanting... then yes, I will turn a blind eye. My employees, in turn, will go above and beyond what is expected when the need arises. If/when an employee takes and takes, and doesn't pull his/her weight... I know I have either: a) failed them, or b) hired the wrong person - and make the necessary adjustments.

I don't, however, know what the OP's thief is hoping to 'give back'.

People that act sketchy, generally are doing something sketchy, hence the visit in the middle of the night.

Reminds me of when I charging alone in Barstow at 2-3 AM.

Plug in SC while family sleeping in car.
Man walks towards my car.
Reach for IWB to click safety off.
Man announces he's not there to rob me or anything and said he just had a few questions.
I said great, and proceeded to explain how the supercharger network functioned.
Man went off on his way.
Clicked safety back on.

To @Vines point, people know when they are being sketchy.

[
He's... not doing it for the money but rather it's just a mountain there that he wants to climb. A time honoured engineering tradition.
Sure. I firmly believe you should have those rights on your own equipment.

That's how we got the initial decode of the car-to-supercharger communication. A guy took his car that he owned and was entitled to supercharging rights for and satisfied his curiosity. He didn't commit theft to do it.

"But I'm just curious." doesn't nullify the rights of the service providers, nor does justify theft of service.

If you want to know how your cable TV signals are compressed and encoded, subscribe to the service, buy a cable box, crack her open and hack away. Don't sneak to the junction box down the street in the middle of the night, ring a coax back to your house, and start receiving the cable signal on an box you hacked together that manages to receive the service but conveniently ignores any billing requirement.

Speeding doesn’t deprive anyone else of anything.

By charging without paying for it he’s taking money directly out of Tesla’s pocket. That harms me as a stockholder.

If he’s planning to sell these cheat devices and they proliferate then it will also harm all of us as owners by blocking the charging network we paid for and he didn’t.
speeding is dangerous to anyone on the road and could deprive someone of their life

Man announces he's not there to rob me or anything and said he just had a few questions.
Man went off on his way.
Clicked safety back on.

I guess he knew you were being sketchy, reaching for a piece and all?

Or you mean he was nervous because he felt his otherwise entirely legitimate actions could easily be misunderstood?

I guess he knew you were being sketchy, reaching for a piece and all?

Or you mean he was nervous because he felt his otherwise entirely legitimate actions could easily be misunderstood?

Oh the latter for sure. He has no idea I had anything on me.

One of the drawbacks of a manual safety is diminished response time when milliseconds matter.

You can discreeetly go to condition zero by dropping the safety if the situation has the potential to be unsafe.

Also, more than anything - situational awareness will save your life. Saw him approach me from a distance. Not plugging in a car at 2:00am If a man is just standing in an adjacent SC stall.

Doesn't bear on the matter in my mind.

It's Tesla's right to determine if that matters to them. Thus the idea that it shouldn't be brought to their attention deprives them of their right make that determination.

I never said otherwise, just pointed out what I believe the logical motives of this person was.

Others have said they would not report it. As I said, I did tell a Tesla employee and he did not care. End of story for me.

The way that posting while at work is regulated is by a system known as "give and take".

You get your projects done, you don't drop any balls, and you are always available for extra time, extra effort for clutch situations.

Not sure what "giving back" is being done by eGolf hacker.

I was replying to a very specific question - what level of theft am I comfortable with. My answer is I am comfortable with 'some'. I gave one example and we do all know very well that there is 'theft of time' from employers (and from employees) and the "give and take" can be very lopsided and does not work.

I think you would be hard pressed to find many individuals that do not believe 'some' theft is okay if they really think things through and consider several examples. It is a classic philosophical debate with millions of pages dedicated to it.

I have no idea what the eGolf hacker is doing, but I could come up with several scenarios where he is giving back.

Last edited:
I never said otherwise, just pointed out what I believe the logical motives of this person was.

Others have said they would not report it. As I said, I did tell a Tesla employee and he did not care. End of story for me.

I was replying to a very specific question - what level of theft am I comfortable with. My answer is I am comfortable with 'some'. I gave one example and we do all know very well that there is 'theft of time' from employers (and from employees) and the "give and take" can be very lopsided and does not work.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any individual that does not believe 'some' theft is okay if they really think things through and consider several examples.

I have no idea what the eGolf hacker is doing, but I could come up with several scenarios where he is giving back.

I used to know a guy who owned some Shell gas stations. I can't remember exact figures because this was 20+ years ago. He stated he pumped about 300,000 gallons a month and about 1000 were stolen from him each month. He wasn't happy about it, but in the grand scheme of things, it was a small number when compared to the overall volume. He acknowledged the problem wasn't big enough to warrant corrective actions.

My opinion theft is never okay to take what is not yours; I won't even speak about the danger of his actions and potential fire issues. I always bring pens back to work or back to my volunteer job if I come home with them. Nobody here likes it when a package gets stolen, car contents are stolen, or let's say gas gets siphoned off. Any of these, while minor, irritates all of us and when factored into the larger picture, the remainder of us pay for the theft through higher prices.

Man went off on his way.
Clicked safety back on.

1911?

Reactions: MXWing and scaesare