Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not seeing sigs on phone in landscape mode - new phone or TMC changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tga

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
I just got a new phone (Android) and I noticed that I'm not seeing sigs when viewing TMC in landscape mode. I'm pretty sure that with my old phone, I saw sigs in landscape mode but not portrait mode. Both phones are/were running Android 8.1. I'm trying to figure out if this is:
  • A TMC change (I've tried the compressed/non-compressed themes)
  • A local setting on the phone (something I did on the old one and forgot about?)
  • Pilot error (just imagining that I saw sigs on the old phone and never did)
If I check the "desktop site" box, I see sigs, but it's not the best small-screen experience.

I can't go back to the old phone to test; it's completely dead (the dreaded Nexus 6P hardware rot/bootloop issue).

I just got a new phone (Android) and I noticed that I'm not seeing sigs when viewing TMC in landscape mode. I'm pretty sure that with my old phone, I saw sigs in landscape mode but not portrait mode. Both phones are/were running Android 8.1. I'm trying to figure out if this is:
  • A TMC change (I've tried the compressed/non-compressed themes)
  • A local setting on the phone (something I did on the old one and forgot about?)
  • Pilot error (just imagining that I saw sigs on the old phone and never did)
If I check the "desktop site" box, I see sigs, but it's not the best small-screen experience.

I can't go back to the old phone to test; it's completely dead (the dreaded Nexus 6P hardware rot/bootloop issue).
Sigs show in landscape mode for iOS. You sure you have signatures showing turned on? Check your settings is about all I can think of.

Sigs show in landscape mode for iOS. You sure you have signatures showing turned on? Check your settings is about all I can think of.
I'm seeing yours right now on the laptop, just not on the phone. I had to go to my laptop to see it and click the link to the pictures of your HPWC install.

The only sig setting I see is under Settings->Preferences; a checkbox for "Show people's signatures with their messages", which is on. Nothing mobile related that I can find. I can test iOS (ipad mini) later.

I'm seeing yours right now on the laptop, just not on the phone. I had to go to my laptop to see it and click the link to the pictures of your HPWC install.

The only sig setting I see is under Settings->Preferences; a checkbox for "Show people's signatures with their messages", which is on. Nothing mobile related that I can find. I can test iOS (ipad mini) later.
Yeah that makes no sense. I’ve always seen them on my iPhone and iPad in landscape. Even using condensed theme.

It's typically just screen/browser resolution based, responsive to the "pixel" width of your browser widow. Are you seeing the user avatars above the posts or to the left? I think if it's narrow enough to trigger the compact display with the avatars above, it's probably also nixing the sigs.

With the Chrome browser (maybe others as well), you can choose to display "Desktop Site" and the signatures are displayed as well as having the avatars appear to the left of the posts. However, the result is that the text is so small as to be unreadable. ;)

I use Chrome on Android and have never seen a sig on any phone I have owned in portrait mode. I have never used landscape, so don't know if that is something lost recently, but it doesn't work for me now on Android 8.0.0.

It's typically just screen/browser resolution based, responsive to the "pixel" width of your browser widow. Are you seeing the user avatars above the posts or to the left? I think if it's narrow enough to trigger the compact display with the avatars above, it's probably also nixing the sigs.
I see the avatars and names above the posts in landscape or portrait. Interestingly, the old phone (Nexus 6P) had a higher resolution screen - 2560x1440 - than my new Moto X4 (1920x1080).

That is weird. Wonder what the other phone is getting id’d as?

Maybe try a different browser on it to test?
Good idea. I see the same behavior with Opera (I'm posting this with Opera).

I use Chrome on Android and have never seen a sig on any phone I have owned in portrait mode. I have never used landscape, so don't know if that is something lost recently, but it doesn't work for me now on Android 8.0.0.
Maybe I'm confused and never saw sigs in landscape on the phone, but I swear I did. I was pretty religious about keeping it upgraded, so I should have been on 8.1.

Maybe I'm confused and never saw sigs in landscape on the phone, but I swear I did. I was pretty religious about keeping it upgraded, so I should have been on 8.1.
Interesting -- I have a Moto Z Play I went to after my Nexus 5 was killed by an upgrade that caused the microphone to stop working...

The Moto JUST got upgraded to 8.0 a few weeks ago. Like I said, I was not aware of the possibility of seeing sigs in landscape mode, so I don't know if either the Nexus or previous versions on the Moto ever displayed them.

I see the avatars and names above the posts in landscape or portrait. Interestingly, the old phone (Nexus 6P) had a higher resolution screen - 2560x1440 - than my new Moto X4 (1920x1080).
So just to close the loop, I think the issue was the small screen on the Moto X4. I just upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL (2960x1440), and it behaves as I remember the dead Nexus 6P working. Avatars and names above the posts without signatures in portrait mode, avatars and names to the left the posts with signatures in landscape mode.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: danny and boaterva