Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not So Good Experience on S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had some really bad experience with my 2021 S Plaid. I got the car in Nov 21 and it already had to be in service twice. The really first time is in February 22, and it was a power steering issue. The car is drivable but the steering wheel was just really heavy. I drove it to a SC and they were able to provide me a loaner, and fix the issue in two week.

The second time is more serious and it happened last Thursday. I am planing to drive it for a road trip from NYC to Orlando, and since it already had 13k miles on it, I scheduled a mobile service before the trip. Everything was fine, and they replaced the air filter for that service appointment. On Thursday, I was half way on my trip and the car suddenly stop working because rear left motor stopped working. Initially I was hoping that this is a transient issue, until the remote technician told me it was an actual issue and the car has to be sent to a SC 2 hours where I was staying. The roadside assistance agent was really helpful and was able to sent a tow truck to tow the car to SC at 11pm. I rent a car and continue my trip, and hoping that the SC is able to fix the car before my trip back to NYC.

However, the SC was not able to service my car, and has no ETA on when it will be serviced or fixed. I told them multiple times that it is really important for me to at least get an ETA so I can schedule my trip around it. At this point, I don’t know how I can get back to NYC since most cars are sold out for the independent days weekend.

Has anyone experienced similar failure of their car? Normally, how long will it take for it to be fixed?

Really appreciate the answer. Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: doc5339
Are you getting reimbursed from Tesla for the rental? If so make them pay for your rental back to NYC, Keep it until your car is fixed.
Initially they said they will rent me a car at enterprise, but they were not able to find any availability, so they asked me to just rent a car on my own (which is harder because Herz and Avis also sold out, and I have to rent one on Turo). Hopefully they will reimburse it.

The real issue is getting back to NYC. The car broke down in Columbia SC and it's in service in Charlotte NC (which are both 10 hours away from NYC). If we drove back to NYC, we have to take 20 hours round trip to retrieve our car...

...hope this is a wire issue and it can be fixed quickly...
They should be able to give you a diagnosis by now. You should ask whether they had the chance to take a look at your car and what's needed to fix it. Remember to ask if it's a part from the USA, it might take about 2 weeks just like your steering problem. If that part has to come from across the ocean, the quickest time would be a month but with how things are going right now, 1 month is just too generous guess.

I had my share of issues with my 2021 MYP and got rid of the car at the end of 2022. I’ve been tempted to get a Model S Plaid since, but reading the Model S thread made me rethink the whole thing … I would’ve gone mad with so many issues on a 110K car …

I had my share of issues with my 2021 MYP and got rid of the car at the end of 2022. I’ve been tempted to get a Model S Plaid since, but reading the Model S thread made me rethink the whole thing … I would’ve gone mad with so many issues on a 110K car …
Any car from Any manufacturer can have an issue doesn’t matter what the sale price was. They address it and in short order hopefully they will be enjoying the ride. Picked up our second car this week and enjoying every mile.

Any car from Any manufacturer can have an issue doesn’t matter what the sale price was. They address it and in short order hopefully they will be enjoying the ride. Picked up our second car this week and enjoying every mile.
We do like to tell ourselves that, don’t we? and no, Tesla hasn’t addressed the MSP vibrations yet, as per several threads on this very forum, but thanks for your input … enjoy your car …

Reactions: teko