Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nov 2018 built S100D front drivetrain noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like your 1/2 shafts making the infamous “milking mouse” (front drive shafts) Was your car suspension in anything higher that “standard” when you took thy video? It will make it markedly worse. In any case, submit that video to your service center to have your 1/2 shafts replaced

My Oct 2018 MS 100D build will rattle/shudder like that from the passenger side under WOT, but its not as loud and sustained as on your video.

It seems to have developed over time, did not do it when the car was new.

But yes, there are a number of threads about the shudder. Not looking forward to a visit to the always crowded SC.

Sounds like your 1/2 shafts making the infamous “milking mouse” (front drive shafts) Was your car suspension in anything higher that “standard” when you took thy video? It will make it markedly worse. In any case, submit that video to your service center to have your 1/2 shafts replaced

Does it on low and standard. It was at the SC i pushed for them to be replaced no dice. Surprising considering the history i have there with my old s100d that ended up being a buyback. I dont think i am being unreasonable whatsoever asking for this to be fixed on a 110k purchase AGAIN.

Its annoying as i got the car dec 30th 2018 , allready have made four round trips to the service center its 2.5 hours each way. So basically a whole day is gone everytime.

I assume you are going to one of the Chicago SCs, what is their pushback ?

Do they claim this is normal, no parts or there is just no fix ?

They are no longer replacing them for noise issues. I should be getting them replaced this week. Got the right people involved. Its just sad to see so much waste with time and warranty work , this part clearly needs a revision its not proper for its application.

I have a P100D that does this.
Quite concerning when there is upwards of 900NM of torque being applied, any mechanical noise raises concerns of terminal failure.
I previously had both drive shafts and half shaft replaced but the noise returned.

My local SC have told me there is a revised lubricant to solve this issue, and drive shafts aren't being replaced any more.
I will post back once I get my car back from service if it is fixed.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ