Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NTC seeks feedback on the safe operation of automated vehicles while on road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found this, not sure if anyone is interested in following this as it will possibly affect autopilot in Australia.

NTC - National Transport Commission

NTC seeks feedback on the safe operation of automated vehicles while on road
1 July 2019
The National Transport Commission (NTC) today released a Consultation Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) seeking feedback on the role and regulation of different parties in the safe operation of automated vehicles on Australian roads.

The RIS considers the role of manufacturers, repairers, registered owners and others, in supporting the safety of automated vehicles on Australian roads. It also considers the legal arrangements needed to support their safe operation.

NTC Chief Executive Officer Gillian Miles said the NTC wants to hear from interested parties, particularly those in manufacturing, repairs and road safety groups.

‘It is important to be proactive in developing nationally-consistent laws and regulations for the safe commercial deployment of automated vehicles into Australia’.

‘We are considering the range of people who have a role in safety to ensure that automated vehicles are sufficiently regulated to be safe on our roads’, Dr Miles said.

This reform follows earlier NTC work on regulation for automated vehicles entering the Australian market. In November 2018 Australia’s transport ministers agreed that anyone seeking to bring these vehicles to market must self-certify against safety criteria. Ministers also agreed that Australia would develop a new purpose-built national law to regulate the on-road operation of automated vehicles. This consultation is the first step in delivering this.

The NTC is seeking feedback on its consultation regulation impact statement by 26 August 2019.

The NTC will analyse feedback and formulate recommendations to present to ministers in May 2020.

For more information, including a cost–benefit analysis to support this work, visit the NTC website.

https://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports/(D748D1D0-7D93-C79D-CE5F-77A1D50111D3).pdf

Edit: more information here NTC - National Transport Commission

Last edited:
Since when will GM have Level 4 in Autonomy?
And their SuperCruise does not count.

And Tesla is FAR FAR ahead of the competition. They have 1000's of cars in Australia already building a map of AP disengagements that they can use to make it better. Once M3 comes to Aus that has AP standard more people will use it and more data, not to mention the other 200,000 cars around the world already sending data back to Tesla about common driving issues.

Also surprising MobileEye is down at 2022. Until recently MobileEye was ahead of Tesla aP2.5

I also don't like the words "general safety duty". This sounds like another tax / insurance type thing that will need to be paid if you have a FSD.

I think the Manufacture needs to put their money on the table if the car was found at fault while under FSD. I think basic laws need to be enforced much more like not crossing a solid white line, using indicators when changing lanes as without this key information the car cannot make an accurate decision.

Attachments

• f1.PNG
    f1.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Techno-phile
[QUOTE="
I think the Manufacture needs to put their money on the table if the car was found at fault while under FSD. I think basic laws need to be enforced much more like not crossing a solid white line, using indicators when changing lanes as without this key information the car cannot make an accurate decision.[/QUOTE]
Good luck trying to force eratic and useless drivers to behave and perform better