Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Boost Subwoofer upgrade - installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying it turns off right away, or when the vehicle goes to sleep and turns off the factory amp?

Mine is would also turn off when going to sleep but that draw on the larger 1,000 watt amp for ~10 minutes was enough to drain the 12V battery after a few weeks.

Keep us posted, thanks!
It goes off when going to sleep after about 20 minutes - basically the same time as the factory amp.

Are you using the NVX amp? I ran the 500RMS version for 2+ years in my Model 3 and never had it drain my 12v. However, that was with signal sense and maybe it was shutting off real quick. (I had never checked).

Will keep you posted!

Agreed, never had an issue with the 500 watt NVX amp using signal sense. Upgrading to the 1000 watt amp causes the issue, and the toggle switch fixed it. I am fairly confident it is because the 1000 watt amp draws more current.
Oh yeah, that's for certain. don't blame you for going with the toggle, just to be 100% certain.

So far, going good with the XCLA2X PRO loc. Amp isn't hot when coming back to the car after 30 minutes, which lets me know it is cutting off. (before it was very hot all the time). Now I'm playing with different ported boxes. Decided to just put a ported box in the sub trunk. Found a box that is 14x14x13 and tuned for 36hz. Will report out how it goes. (The NVX sealed "box" is working fine just sitting in the sub trunk, but just want to see if I can get even more low-end. I'm being greedy I guess)

Oh yeah, that's for certain. don't blame you for going with the toggle, just to be 100% certain.

So far, going good with the XCLA2X PRO loc. Amp isn't hot when coming back to the car after 30 minutes, which lets me know it is cutting off. (before it was very hot all the time). Now I'm playing with different ported boxes. Decided to just put a ported box in the sub trunk. Found a box that is 14x14x13 and tuned for 36hz. Will report out how it goes. (The NVX sealed "box" is working fine just sitting in the sub trunk, but just want to see if I can get even more low-end. I'm being greedy I guess)
Never too greedy!

Sealed boxes have their place but if you want strong, deep low-end, a great ported box can be amazing. Getting there with a sealed box takes a lot more power. Don’t see too many SPL competitors with sealed setups.

Reactions: St3phen
Never too greedy!

Sealed boxes have their place but if you want strong, deep low-end, a great ported box can be amazing. Getting there with a sealed box takes a lot more power. Don’t see too many SPL competitors with sealed setups.

Been testing throughout the day. My low voltage battery SOC is staying constant around 78, whether the car is turned on after a few hours of sitting or when it’s been on for a few minutes. Stuff is definitely shutting off which is great.

My only issue now is heat with the amp. The LOC used to get super hot but that was due to never shutting off. That’s fine now. The VADM1 amp though - I can’t hold my finger on it for more than 2-3 seconds after listening for 15-20 minutes. I do have it under the rear deck though (like the NVX install vid). Worried about it catching on fire, although it’s supposed to have thermal protection.

Anyway, where else have some of you installed the amp - or are you putting it in the same area but leaving the cover off? I’m going to try that tomorrow to see how much a difference it makes. I do recall this getting pretty hot in my Model 3 though, so it just may run hot - especially with a 15.6v source (vs the 12v I had in my 3)

I have my VAD10001 installed in the same sub-trunk as the NVX install vid. I know my amp is not getting that hot because I haven't been able to use it that much since the last two days I've had my kids in the car most of the time. I'll report back after this weekend.

I have my VAD10001 installed in the same sub-trunk as the NVX install vid. I know my amp is not getting that hot because I haven't been able to use it that much since the last two days I've had my kids in the car most of the time. I'll report back after this weekend.
Cool - that will be helpful info. I’ve been running it pretty loud - maybe 85% volume, which I know it’s pushing the sub, but feels so good lol

I’ll try some stuff tomorrow, with one being not cranking it up all the way

Has anyone looked into the feasibility of powering either the line out converter or the amp with the low voltage power socket in the trunk? My guess is the amp will draw more than 12amps but the line out won't - just looking at options to minimize having to tap power (even though I already did it lol)

Found this adapter, which says it supports 15A (although at 12v)

Last edited:
Lol - yeah, probably right. I’m pushing the little guy for sure

Ok - lifted the deck in the trunk covering the amp and drove into work for 30 minutes listening to Drake, Ty Dolla and Slim Thug (chopped and screwed). 85% volume. Hitting hard. Feeling good. Got to work and checked and it was very warm, but not dangerously hot (like it had been). No real surprise that having the panel over the amp doesn’t allow warm air to escape, so may just need to keep it up and only put it down when hauling something. Be nice if someone made a replacement deck that allowed for ventilation but looked oem

Has anyone looked into the feasibility of powering either the line out converter or the amp with the low voltage power socket in the trunk? My guess is the amp will draw more than 12amps but the line out won't - just looking at options to minimize having to tap power (even though I already did it lol)

Found this adapter, which says it supports 15A (although at 12v)

Don’t do that. Sentry keeps the 12v socket and usbs on.

Not yet but i’ll check it out. I still have sub control but i currently don’t have my nvx hooked up.
Did you ever get your NVX hooked back up? I’m having similar update issues after install. I’m wondering if you got around to a successful install?

IMG_4053.jpeg

Whoah. Haven’t seen that one yet. I’ve done at least one update since I installed mine. (Never saw that on my 3 either). Interesting…
It’s happened twice since Saturday. I installed everything on Tuesday/Wednesday of last week. Tomorrow I plan on doing what @C-Bus Y and @TwoK4drSi suggested to me over PM and start by disconnecting the LOC trying to update and then swap my amp ground point.

From the penthouse and also I reused the same ground bolt and location as the factory amp ground.
Dang - it must be pulling enough to throw off the battery mgmt system. Also, the XLCA2 never shuts off (as you know) - don’t know if you saw my post about the XLCA2X Pro LOC but that does shut off when set to DC offset. Regardless of the LOC though, it has to be the amp pulling too much. I did all the same things you did (same ground too) I am just using the 500RMS amp. I bet what they suggested works though.