Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY to VA, and back, repeat...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI folks!
I'm on the cusp of ordering an S60D with autopilot and cold weather package. I make frequent trips (at least once per month, and I expect to need to go twice in the near to middle future) for family concerns between Syracuse NY and the Shenandoah valley in VA. Which is about 1000 miles round trip. I was going to wait for a model 3, but with the recent introduction of the S60 and S60D, I'm ' ' that close to pulling the trigger. Above and beyond what you All know about Teslas, (build quality, engineering marvel etc...) the deciding point for me is that Autopilot and Supercharging will make my trips safer. I would say they'd reduce my costs, but it is more of a line item adjustment vs a savings. I'll still have $ going out, but instead of a 10 year old Prius, I'll have a Model S!

Another option of course is to try and find and finance a used S, just haven't researched that thoroughly yet. my rough calculations are that I'm absolutely NOT a lease candidate, so a purchase is how I'll have to go. My estimate is that I'll need between three and four SC stops to top off per trip. In my Prius I can make the trip south of about 450 miles on a tank and a half, but curiously I can make it all the way back to NY on one fill and get 500 miles. On that front the only thing I can think of is the gas quality/formulation between the two markets.

In the meantime, I'll be reading up on specs, tips and whatnot. I hope not to noob out too much on you!

Ned

Sounds like you've thought through the options. Autopilot will definitely make the trip to VA much more enjoyable.
Thanks Ryan! I've 'built' so many configurations weighing options vs price by now I have worn out a mouse on my computer!

Currently I'm maximizing for lowest price with just two luxury items; sub zero package since I do live in NY, and Autopilot. AP for me is also why I'm seriously working the numbers. With autopilot I will be able to avoid relocation to care for my parents. I will sacrifice a full nights sleep for resting en route while charging. I already do this in my Prius, I'll be much more comfortable of course in the MS.

Reading up here on the forums i'm a little more concerned about the Range of the 60 D in the winter months, although there is only one leg where I'll be close to 90% charge. There is an easy alternative however with similar time and distance overall just changing where the legs fall in the trip. It is not a deal-breaker, just a routing change.

I won't make the call however until and unless I must make the much more frequent trips to Virginia. I'll be waiting for a model three in the meantime. My Prius does a good job for me, and I'm looking into a younger PHeV as a gap filler until the release of the model three.