Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC Charging Guide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Any fellow New Yorkers can provide guidance on the best way of going about charging? Some of the things I want to know is :

1. I live in NYC (Bronx specifically). How should I go about charging? Do I call CON ED and tell them? What about things like separate meter or reduced rates? Do they exist?

2. Are they any additional rebates I can get?

Any other money saving tips and tricks would be great. I'm hoping this post can be a great resource for those buying a Tesla in the NYC area.

If you have your own driveway you are already far and above the vast majority of New Yorkers, especially any of your friends in Manhattan.

Full disclosure, we moved out of the city after purchasing a home last year, but I did research this a bit prior to our move with the impression that we would get an electric vehicle one day.

First it will depend on if you own or rent. If you own your home and you are not part of a co-op or condo situation, you should contact a licensed electrician and purchase a wall charger for your driveway. They will be able to pull the permits from the city and get you situated. Alternatively, if you already have an outside outlet you can just use that. If you want to utilize time of use rates you are going to have to let ConEd know if you don’t already have a time of use meter. The electrician can let you know about that, or you can call ConEd directly.

If you are in a rental, or are you own in a condo/co-op, you will need to clear anything you are going to do with your landlord and/or the Condo /co-op board. A board may already have a set policy for setting up EV charging, so it might just be one extra step to the above. If you have a landlord, you’ll need explicit permission. Particularly if you’re on a standard Blumberg lease, technically if you hang curtain rods without permission you committed a lease infraction. In a rental situation, let them know you’ll pay for everything and it would make the property more attractive given electric vehicles are the way of the future. They may raise your rent, but let’s be honest they’re going to do that anyway it’s New York ;).

In terms of rebates, New York State only has them for public charging spaces. With that said, if you are in a rental situation or a condo situation you may be able to convince the board, or your landlord, to just pay to install a bunch somewhere centrally and then apply for the rebate. They can get up to 5K.

again, you are in a way better situation than we would have been. We lived in the upper West side, and unless we were willing to shell out $700 a month for a garage that would let us charge, we were going to need to park as close as we could to our apartment and run an extension cord out the window. that sounds insane, but the guy who lived above us did that with his Nissan leaf. No one, the super included, ever batted an eye 😆 .

• Informative
Reactions: MYMY21