Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla put in charger in NYC garage and owners ripped it out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 10 years ago, Tesla paid to put chargers in garages all over NYC to encourage Tesla ownership here. I have been using it for 8 years as a monthly parker. The garage ownership just changed hands and the owners that are leaving ripped it out. I think it’s theft since it wasn’t theirs to start with. Is there any way to reach out to Tesla about it? Supposedly, the new owner is going to put in some kind of charging, but I don’t know what it will be or if I will be charged extra for it.

Well they're not superchargers. My guess is that after 10 years, no one's going to put up a stink besides those that were using them (you).

Are you sure Tesla paid to put them there?

My opinion is that you're barking up the wrong tree if you think Tesla is going to do something about this. You'll need to apply pressure to the current garage owner.

About 10 years ago, Tesla paid to put chargers in garages all over NYC to encourage Tesla ownership here. I have been using it for 8 years as a monthly parker. The garage ownership just changed hands and the owners that are leaving ripped it out. I think it’s theft since it wasn’t theirs to start with. Is there any way to reach out to Tesla about it? Supposedly, the new owner is going to put in some kind of charging, but I don’t know what it will be or if I will be charged extra for it.

This reads like:

==============
"I pay to park monthly in a garage, and had free charging there for the past 8 years". A new garage owner came in and took out the chargers, so I can no longer charge for free. How do I tell someone?
=============

The garage owners should have the right to remove anything they want to that is a part of the garage, no different than if you buy an apartment building, and it had dishwashers you didnt like in each unit.

Since you said you were a "monthly parker" in the garage, it doesnt sound like you have any sort of ownership of a space there, like condo parking or something.

Ownership of the items in the garage probably says that the chargers were part of the sale, so they can do with whatever they want to, including NOT providing free electricity if they dont want to.

I am making a bit of an assumption here that you were not paying for charging, because you said "they said they might put in charging but I dont know if I will be charged for it", which implies you were not charged before (or there wouldnt be any reason to call it out).

I think you are SOL here, there isnt anyone to tell about it, nor does Tesla likely care, unless they were some sort of leased product and I doubt any lease on a level 2 charger would have been 10 years long.

Reactions: father_of_6