Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the fast lane ones and the 15mph on njtp,Delaware,and so were hit or miss.......I think the fast lane ones scan too fast and don't catch that small area on the windshield. Will do some more testing, hopefully I don't get charged he full rate like last time smh.

Register your license plate and they usually just charge it that way and you won't even know the difference unless you look on the statement or notice the redlight. It works about 97% of the time for me. Not my problem if 3% of their equip can't match the sensitivity of thei r other equipment.

Register your license plate and they usually just charge it that way and you won't even know the difference unless you look on the statement or notice the redlight. It works about 97% of the time for me. Not my problem if 3% of their equip can't match the sensitivity of thei r other equipment.
Yes license plate is registered...problem sometimes is I'll get a read on one toll entering either the thruway or turnpike and not the exit or vice versa and even though they have my plate. I get charged the full rate meaning from the earliest starting point to the last point of exit......haven't had the time to speak to ezpass on it though.

now it is only working < 50% of the time. and ez pass sent me nasty note that my pass isnt working. i tried getting a new pass and oddly still not working consistently.

i dont even bother trying anymore. they just read my plates. they never seem to read it on the start of the NJT leg though so I only get charged a very small amount for the distance from the last exit instead of original exit (so even cheaper than green ezpass rate). i'm not trying to game the system or anything but it's not my fault the green EZPass transponder sucks and NJT sucks.

Yes license plate is registered...problem sometimes is I'll get a read on one toll entering either the thruway or turnpike and not the exit or vice versa and even though they have my plate. I get charged the full rate meaning from the earliest starting point to the last point of exit......haven't had the time to speak to ezpass on it though.

Uhm, how do you register your plate? I mounted an EZ pass transponder on my front plate--it looks like **** and it still isn't being read on the Thruway or on the bridges. That annoys the people behind me greatly and its not like I can just blow through since many of the bridges have electric gates.

Last edited:
Uhm, how do you register your plate? I mounted an EZ pass transponder on my front plate--it looks like **** and it still isn't being read on the Thruway or on the bridges. That annoys the people behind me greatly and its not like I can just blow through since many of the bridges have electric gates.

Go online to your account and go to add vehicle. I have been testing how to go through..you need to go really slow from the start of the ezpass toll lanes...like 10 feet before you reach the gate. I've been about 90% successful on all attempts

877788d8caae8e1cd661bb81d5f1fab4.jpg

I keep it in the same spot and can confirm that it works 90% of the time.
IMHO that 10% depends more on the approaching speed than on the position of the EZ pass... if less then 10mph it works. probably the windshield coating is blocking most of the signal and it takes time for the receiver on the EZ pass gate to "receive" a complete signal and register your entrance/exit.

I keep it in the same spot and can confirm that it works 90% of the time.
IMHO that 10% depends more on the approaching speed than on the position of the EZ pass... if less then 10mph it works. probably the windshield coating is blocking most of the signal and it takes time for the receiver on the EZ pass gate to "receive" a complete signal and register your entrance/exit.
Yup it's the approaching speed that has been working for me.

now it is only working < 50% of the time. and ez pass sent me nasty note that my pass isnt working. i tried getting a new pass and oddly still not working consistently.
Solution was to turn ezpass transponder upside down. Now has been working 99-100 % of time for many months. Mounted upper windshield just right of rear view mirror thing. In a December '14 build.