Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC -> Philadelphia in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm prepping for my first long drive (after 2,700 miles of local-ish driving) in my Model S 90D. I need to go down to Philadelphia on Wednesday morning and back Wednesday evening. I could easily take the Amtrak down there but I think that this would be a fund drive in the Model S. Any recommendations on charging ? Has anyone done this trip before? Do I need to charge on the ride down or can I make it? Any insight would be AMAZING.

Darren

I have the same model. No issues getting Back and forth on a full charge but I recommend stopping around exit 8 or 7a depending on direction on the turnpike where the superchargers are located (both north and south). To get a feel in case you have range anxiety and want to top off.

I've driven Greenwich, CT to Cherry Hill NJ (a phila suburb) dozens of times. That is a cakewalk with a plethora of supercharging options available to you.

If you're extra conservative, stop at Molly Pitcher on the way south to "top up" and then Joyce Kilmer on the way back.

I've also driven that this NJTP route dozens of other times on other long road trips. Very easy, and that's when the only stop was Hamilton Marketplace.

Looks like an easy trip. 106 rated miles from city center to city center in 72 degree weather according to EVTripPlanner. I'd charge to 100% in the morning before you go, and then hit one of the many NJ Superchargers on the way back if you need it, which you shouldn't.

Where are you going in Philadelphia? Check out plugshare.com to see if there's a charger available wherever you're going. There are many options if you're parking downtown, and lots in the general area too. Plugging in during the day would make it so you don't even have to think about thinking about it.

Looks like an easy trip. 106 rated miles from city center to city center in 72 degree weather according to EVTripPlanner. I'd charge to 100% in the morning before you go, and then hit one of the many NJ Superchargers on the way back if you need it, which you shouldn't.

Where are you going in Philadelphia? Check out plugshare.com to see if there's a charger available wherever you're going. There are many options if you're parking downtown, and lots in the general area too. Plugging in during the day would make it so you don't even have to think about thinking about it.
I drive around during the day. No destination spot. I believe there is a chademo at the cherry hill Marriott but not many supercharging options for the southern part of the state

As others have said it depends on exactly where you are going to and from, but there are a plenty of choices for superchargers or just go there and back without stopping. If you are in a hurry there are the ones at the rest stops on the turnpike, if you are in the mood for shopping you can go 5-10mins off the turnpike and stop at Hamilton or Edison (or Paramus if you're actually going north of NYC). I like stopping in Hamilton as there is lots of stuff to do.

Thank you very much for the tips. I charged to 100% of my battery (first time - it's normally charged to ~85%) and made it down there with about 140 miles left on it. I could have gone the whole way home but my range anxiety would have kicked in. I went to the Hamilton Supercharger (thanks to ya'll) and put +150 miles back onto the battery in just under 40 minutes while I had dinner. Pic below... my car is the one in the middle with lights on. Thank you all for the tips!

Attachments

• IMG_0580-2.JPG
    IMG_0580-2.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 82