Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

O Ring "soft recall" on powered rear strut M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 21 M3 and had a "soft recall" to fit the O Ring to the powered rear strut shortly after purchase whilst another small snag was fixed.

A few months ago I noticed that the O Ring had perished and was broken. Had been meaning to report it but did not get round to it until today when I was charging at a Tesla centre with workshop and mentioned it to the staff.

Apparently the early fixes used a thin O Ring which has had many perish as mine did. There is now another "soft recall" where a fatter O Ring replaces the first. Takes about 5-10 minutes and they did mine whilst the car was sitting at the SC.

Those with early fixed ones might want to take a look at their strut.

Reactions: init6
I have a M3 delivered Sep 21. Recently my powered boot has not been opening unless I apply slight upward pressure at the same time as pressing the boot release button. Could this be linked to that problem?

Your powered strut is failing and it'll only get worse. The idea behind the o'ring is to stop water getting inside the powered strut, although it's a poor solution as it doesn't always work.

Just raise a service request about the boot not opening on its own, they'll know what to do as it's very common.

I've had several new powered struts fitted already, regardless of o'ring. The boot design is poor as the struts are both exposed to the elements.

Reactions: MadManMark
Hi All, i think this thread is older but hopefully not dead? My boot displays similar to as others have listed it lifts maybe a few inches then beeps again and just stops. it doesn't slam closed it just stays put. if you then push the button again in the app or physically it starts on its merry way. it only seems to do this the first open on the day and then after it behaves itself. Also just to say its only started doing this since the latest software update 2023.12.5. Doesn't appear to be any crud or debris on or around the boot seal, motor, or anything else so i wondered if there was a sensor maybe a bit dirty that i could just clean? or might the problem go away with the next update. Model M3 SR+ Sept 2021 Thanks guys for your advice

Doesn't appear to be any crud or debris on or around the boot seal, motor, or anything else so i wondered if there was a sensor maybe a bit dirty that i could just clean? or might the problem go away with the next update. Model M3 SR+ Sept 2021 Thanks guys for your advice

Yours is showing the classic symptoms, the strut isn't weatherproof even with the o'ring and never will be. It's just a cheap fix to delay the inevitable. It's a design fault that Tesla have clearly accepted and will simply keep replacing the powered struts under warranty.

There is no separate sensor. Just raise a service request, it can easily don't by mobile service. They must change these so often now, it won't be an issue.

Thanks for this thread popping up!

I noticed mine had cracks in the o-ring during the winter and having checked today it has now snapped so I’ve booked it in for a mobile service, hopefully the replacement is a little more durable