Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBM M3P Delivery in Vancouver, Canada - My paint and alignment issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought i'd post about my experience picking up our Model 3 Performance in Obsidian Black Metallic earlier this week here in Vancouver, Canada. The location they're using for delivery is outside of the city and the cars are delivered outside, which in rainy Vancouver is problematic! However, i was lucky that on the day of delivery the sun was shining!

I'm an existing Model X owner so i went into delivery expecting there to be issues, and sure enough there are a few:

1. The paint issues are my biggest gripe. In Canada, as configured, this is a $100k+ car, so to have it delivered not fully clean, with road chips on the front bumper and fender, scuffs here and there (that should buff out), just feels deflating. The cars are transported by truck, so i assume there's no wrapping on the front of the car so you're at the mercy of the highway all the way up from California. There's also what appears to be a factory defect on the driver's side of the front bumper where there was a bit of dirt and the paint didn't take to the bumper. You can see where the clear coat pooled around it. It's similar in size to the other road chips, so I'm hoping it can be fixed in a similar fashion. There's also some bubbling on one of the side view mirrors (left as pits in the paint). Lastly, there's a scratch by the passenger side windscreen wiper at the top of the fender. Argh!

2. There are only two alignment issues that i see so far (the panel gaps are pretty decent, i would say). The biggest concern is the headlight overbite on one side only (driver's side). I've read all about this being a common issue, and it seems there's a fix for this that the service centres should know about, so I'm hopeful they'll fix it. One side is perfectly flush, so I just want them both to match. I guess they'll pull out the front bumper a bit on that driver's side. The other minor alignment issue is with the rear driver's side tail light. It doesn't quite line up like it does on the other side.

There's also what looks like a very shallow line a few inches long in the clear coat on the bumper, but I'm putting PPF on the car and I think that's not worth pursuing. Hard to get a picture of that.

Would be interested to hear what everyone else thinks of these defects. I'm really not interested in getting a re-spray, so I'm going to be left with touch-ups to fix the chips on the bumper, and then hopefully the PPF makes them invisible. Am going to visit the detailer who'll be doing the PPF to see what he thinks while i wait for Tesla service to respond with their proposed fixes. Will provide updates as things progress!

Attachments

• IMG_5271.JPG
    IMG_5271.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5276.JPG
    IMG_5276.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5273.JPG
    IMG_5273.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5275.JPG
    IMG_5275.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5272.JPG
    IMG_5272.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5269.JPG
    IMG_5269.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 76
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I had a paint chip and a couple fish eyes. Tesla service took care of it pretty quick.

While very unfortunate, my recommendation would be to

1.) Let Tesla touch up, adjust everything.

2.) PPF the car and then enjoy.

I did the same thing for myself. I have same car but Solid black.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
Because the multiple rock chips are small, my detailer (the one who’ll be installing the PPF), is saying to leave them and NOT to fill them. Apparently they can easily lift off during the PPF installation process. So, they either respray or compensate some other way. Anyway, having a new car with 10 or so filled rock chips really isn’t what I signed up for. Not to mention the scratch ☹️ Our Model X is a year old and has less damage on it!