TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Obsidian black pics?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by UnitaryExecutive, Aug 3, 2018.

1. UnitaryExecutive

Has anyone received an obsidian black 3 that they can post pics of?

2. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I don’t think any have been produced yet, best bet is to google an obsidian S or X! Still waiting on my obsidian AWD...

• Like x 1
  3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Why is tesla waiting so long to make a batch of obsidian black cars? Just make some. There will be others ordering that color later!

4. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

There have to be enough obsidian orders for a full batch, I have no idea why there hasn’t been any yet. I recall seeing some data posted the other day for the AWD and P models and if I remember correctly it looked like obsidian and silver haven’t been produced at all for AWD or P models.

5. rdlink

rdlink Member

Given the price of the car I would imagine that a lot of people considering black would just as soon save the $1500, and get the included black. And perhaps people who like silver prefer the MSM, instead? Just guesses on my part.

6. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

My SIL has ordered OBM ("edit" button is gone) cash sale. Apparently color has not gone into production yet - no VIN, no call, no email contact. WAITING, WAITING, WAITING.............................He test drove a Blue 3LR, entered the on-ramp at normal speed and the next thing he knew, he was flying down i/5 at over 80mph. He said it was thrilling, like riding in a spaceship with thrusters on! :eek:

7. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

That might be it. According to this [self-selected survey] it is the least popular colour option, by a lot:

AWD/PAWD Thread Waitlist

Red Multicoat wasn't overly popular in the RWD, that was MSM and Blue Metallic as clear favourites, but with the AWD it's jumped out front.

8. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Thanks, this is the data I was trying to reference but I couldn’t find the link. Both black and obsidian black as well as silver are relatively low in number at least in this data.

9. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Here's Troy's older, everything together one: Model 3 Order Tracker #1 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding)

You'd have to tease at it though to try filter out June 26 and beyond configures to get a better read on Obsidian Black for the Survey there, because of it not being available prior to that.

I kinda hope enough people come to realize that Obsidian is the "black that won't drive you crazy maintaining it" so we can get an Obsidian batch coming through. I guess it'll just take time. At least when it happens it'll basically be all the Obsidian blacks. ;)

P.S. Used to be that Red and White were neck and neck in the Troy survey, you can see the impact the recent surge in Red has there, closing the gap with MSM and Blue.

10. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

Dear Tesla,

Send me my car, so I can take pics for this thread.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

My opinion is that you check the colour out in person, in at least a few different levels of light. In low light it's very hard to note the difference between Solid Black and Obsidian, even when they are parked together. If you are need a Tesla Service Center you should be able to see an S or X in Obsidian, to give at least an idea of what it'll look like. That's how I made my choice. Looked at Model 3s in all the colours available prior and then tried to judge from that by an Obsidian Model S that was also there.

12. Mo City

Mo City Member

I ordered an Obsidian Black AWD. Should have selected Midnight Silver. :mad:

13. LRCasey

LRCasey Member

Waiting as well.....I've had 2 red cars and my current car, an Infiniti G37 sport coupe, is blue so I'm looking forward to a change with the Obsidian Black AWD. Waiting 2.5 years from deposit to likely delivery is pretty painful but I'm sure it will be worth it.

14. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

You'll have a month or two waiting and years to enjoy the Obsidian. ;)

P.S. I think MSM is a fine colour, it's just that I've had basically that colour for the last 6 years on one of our cars and I'm done with it.

15. Mo City

Mo City Member

My concern is Obsidian will push my delivery into 2019 since it's supposedly the least common choice and Tesla's main priority is speed of production.

16. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

If they were pushing into 2019 don't you think they'd update all of our delivery dates? I'm still showing Sep-Nov so I'm betting we'll be in the production line in the next month or so.

17. UnitaryExecutive

I'd be surprised if that was the case. Switched the color 3 times now - black->red(couldn't convince wife to get red)->obsidian black

18. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

There is no way it pushes into 2019. Tesla is going to make close to 100k Model 3s by the end of the year. Also, it's not like this is some new color to them. They offer it for the S and X.

• Like x 1
  19. godfather96

godfather96 Member

Just reviving this thread now that we’ve had some VIN assignments. Any OBM pics?

20. njsrikar

njsrikar Member

• Like x 1