Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior vs Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ag21

M3 SR/Wht/Wht->Blk/18 OD:2/13 DD: 4/5 Texas
Dec 14, 2022
Houston
Have a chance to get the Highland 3 in black seats instead of the white I ordered. Anyone want to throw input on potentially waiting 2-3 more months for white interior now that these have ventilated seats (TX driver, so heat it my only real concern). Long term concern would be which holds up better with kids.

Not sure how helpful this would be but the white seats in my 2021 M3SR are fantastic looking and in hindsight, I definitely would have waited an additional 2-3 months for them. Still look great after 3 years and two kids who are occasionally smelly and dirty. I had a M3 with black seats prior to this and while they have some advantages, white seats just look better IMO.

It’s probably not possible to opine on the longevity of the Highland’s seats. I’m not even sure if they’re made from the same material and I’m guessing I wouldn’t be able to use the ceramic leather coating I’ve been using (I’m an everyday jeans guy and it’s been great for preventing dye transfer). But if we’re talking about the look, yes it’s definitely worth waiting for what you ordered IMO.

Reactions: ag21
Just a preference thing. I personally like the white because for me black interiors are dark and gloomy, and every speck of dust shows on every black surface.

The heat difference? I'm not sure it's that big a difference (and I'm in TX, too). And keep in mind the white costs an extra grand!

Last but not least, that white interior is WHITE. I mean bleached bones, sailor uniform, polar ice cap, marshmallow, printer paper, chalk white. I like mine, but in the direct sunlight it does burn my retinas sometimes.

I'm not completely sure I'd wait 3 extra months for it, though.

Reactions: BeeGood
Kim Java did an interesting YouTube video at the end of last August where she compared interior temps of all Tesla models on a very hot and sunny day in Atlanta with the variables, besides the cars, being Cabin Overheat Protection On/Off and White/Black seats. What was important in my decision to go with the white interior here in North Texas was that the white seats were 20-30 degrees (F) cooler than the black seats, regardless of whether Cabin Overheat Protection was on. Granted, it wasn't a completely apples-to-apples comparison as the cars were not all the same (she used an S, 3, X & Y), so there was likely some added variability there, but the trend is what sold me on the white seats. That, plus watching MANY videos of folks showing that the white seats were relatively easy to maintain in order to convince my wife that the white seats would be ok!

Reactions: BeeGood and ag21
Basically delivery tomorrow on white with black interior or wait til May maybe June for white/white. Kind of need the car now (someone buying my Y), and I’m planning to keep for many years.

I love my white interior. I only had black previously but when ordering my 15 y/o son highly suggested the white and he was right. My concern in the new seat is the perforations. Will this allow the white seat to attract/collect dirt and look dingy?

Great question. Anyone that’s had it on S or X care to comment?

I’m going to wait mine out. Really prefer overall look of white and hoping it’s only another 30-45 days.

Anyone that has looked "deeply" into selecting between the upholstery colors, is there a helpful video with examples of what to expect with the White VS Black over significant use and time and for different difficult use cases, especially around people/areas that are not particularly clean?

Read several reports the white can "Miraculously" cope with some particularly difficult staining materials, but still skeptical...
Open to the idea of white based on what has been read, but hard to believe without seeing long term evidence.