Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsidian black pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is tesla waiting so long to make a batch of obsidian black cars? Just make some. There will be others ordering that color later!

There have to be enough obsidian orders for a full batch, I have no idea why there hasn’t been any yet. I recall seeing some data posted the other day for the AWD and P models and if I remember correctly it looked like obsidian and silver haven’t been produced at all for AWD or P models.

There have to be enough obsidian orders for a full batch, I have no idea why there hasn’t been any yet. I recall seeing some data posted the other day for the AWD and P models and if I remember correctly it looked like obsidian and silver haven’t been produced at all for AWD or P models.

Given the price of the car I would imagine that a lot of people considering black would just as soon save the $1500, and get the included black. And perhaps people who like silver prefer the MSM, instead? Just guesses on my part.

Has anyone received an obsidian black 3 that they can post pics of?
My SIL has ordered OBM ("edit" button is gone) cash sale. Apparently color has not gone into production yet - no VIN, no call, no email contact. WAITING, WAITING, WAITING.............................He test drove a Blue 3LR, entered the on-ramp at normal speed and the next thing he knew, he was flying down i/5 at over 80mph. He said it was thrilling, like riding in a spaceship with thrusters on! :eek:

Given the price of the car I would imagine that a lot of people considering black would just as soon save the $1500, and get the included black. And perhaps people who like silver prefer the MSM, instead? Just guesses on my part.
That might be it. According to this [self-selected survey] it is the least popular colour option, by a lot:

AWD/PAWD Thread Waitlist

Red Multicoat wasn't overly popular in the RWD, that was MSM and Blue Metallic as clear favourites, but with the AWD it's jumped out front.

That might be it. According to this [self-selected survey] it is the least popular colour option, by a lot:

AWD/PAWD Thread Waitlist

Red Multicoat wasn't overly popular in the RWD, that was MSM and Blue Metallic as clear favourites, but with the AWD it's jumped out front.

Thanks, this is the data I was trying to reference but I couldn’t find the link. Both black and obsidian black as well as silver are relatively low in number at least in this data.

Thanks, this is the data I was trying to reference but I couldn’t find the link. Both black and obsidian black as well as silver are relatively low in number at least in this data.
Here's Troy's older, everything together one: Model 3 Order Tracker #1 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding)

You'd have to tease at it though to try filter out June 26 and beyond configures to get a better read on Obsidian Black for the Survey there, because of it not being available prior to that.

I kinda hope enough people come to realize that Obsidian is the "black that won't drive you crazy maintaining it" so we can get an Obsidian batch coming through. I guess it'll just take time. At least when it happens it'll basically be all the Obsidian blacks. ;)

P.S. Used to be that Red and White were neck and neck in the Troy survey, you can see the impact the recent surge in Red has there, closing the gap with MSM and Blue.

Has anyone received an obsidian black 3 that they can post pics of?
My opinion is that you check the colour out in person, in at least a few different levels of light. In low light it's very hard to note the difference between Solid Black and Obsidian, even when they are parked together. If you are need a Tesla Service Center you should be able to see an S or X in Obsidian, to give at least an idea of what it'll look like. That's how I made my choice. Looked at Model 3s in all the colours available prior and then tried to judge from that by an Obsidian Model S that was also there.

Waiting as well.....I've had 2 red cars and my current car, an Infiniti G37 sport coupe, is blue so I'm looking forward to a change with the Obsidian Black AWD. Waiting 2.5 years from deposit to likely delivery is pretty painful but I'm sure it will be worth it.