Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsolescence incoming (already)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a story the other day that showed that residuals for second hand EV's at the bottom end of the market are starting to go up.
I don't mean the depreciation has leveled out I means some are now worth more than they were 6 months ago. It's an interesting positive trend.

Borne out by my observations when selling my 2016 i3 a couple of months ago. I got a price from WBAC in August, which then increased in September, and increased again in October. The dealer that bought it is offering it for more than I paid for it over a year ago.

I think it's just supply and demand. When I was first looking at buying a Model 3 there were second hand ones, with maybe a dozen or so miles on the clock, selling for a fair bit more than a new one.

Once production rates start to match demand, then prices will stabilise again, although when that may happen is anyone's guess. VW seem to have hit some problems with the ID.3, that look as if deliveries may well be delayed, Hyundai have also had problems with battery supply, so with demand for EVs seeming to be growing it seems likely that prices will remain buoyant for some time yet.

Tesla has 2 advantages that no other car maker can even approach in the next decade...

1 battery supply
2 supercharger network - the is literally no point buying anything else due to this. Especially a second hand tesla.

400 to 600 miles cars are really not that necessary for most people - other than some sort of comfort blanket, or bladder endurance test.

In fact the 600+ cars should be fitted with a catheter as an optional extra so you can actually use all that range without stopping.