Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sry, hit the enter too early. Let me finish.

There is a reading (200km) at the bottom of the app. However, no way I’ve drive that much for the last three days. My gut feeling is that I’m driving half of that reading at most, or maybe only quarter of it. There’s another reading which shows the remaining of the battery in kelometers. Using that is even ridiculous. At the day we got the car, it show around 300 km left. With half day of driving, it went down 150km. That’s about drive all the way past Hope.

Anyone has any idea how it shows the odometer info?

Thanks!

It's funny you say this. Mine is over 200km and I have a 20km commute to work (both ways). I only drove 2 days to work last week, and a few short trips on top of this weekend. I'd be shocked if it's wrong, but I find the mileage hard to believe, as it's usually difficult to get through the break-in period on an ice car for me. I was going to dig around for an app to track distance off the GPS, but maybe mine had more KMs on it from the start (TBH, I didn't really pay attention, and I usually do).

It's funny you say this. Mine is over 200km and I have a 20km commute to work (both ways). I only drove 2 days to work last week, and a few short trips on top of this weekend. I'd be shocked if it's wrong, but I find the mileage hard to believe, as it's usually difficult to get through the break-in period on an ice car for me. I was going to dig around for an app to track distance off the GPS, but maybe mine had more KMs on it from the start (TBH, I didn't really pay attention, and I usually do).

Nice to have you back on the conversation. I hope you really enjoy the car as I do.

As for the odometer readings, I do remember mine had only 20km on odometer when I picked it up and the top estimation portion is about 300km. The first day when I got back to home I immediately notice that 300km went down to 200km. There’s no way in the first two hours I drove 100km in city. I calculated the distance on google map, it’s about 40km only. Same experience goes to the next few days which was used by my wife only to drive kids to and from school. I had to charge it everyday at home which I didn’t anticipate. My ICE car, 2010 CRV, only needs to fill-up every two weeks (about 400km). One charge of this SR+ seems never reach it’s claimed range which is about the same as a full tank of gas on my CRV.

It’s a little bit annoying but I’ll keep my eyes on it.

I’m not very familiar with all this as I’m only few days with my Tesla.However I’m thinking it doesn’t matter as the odometer should report the real distance of the car travelled no matter what.

Hi Tom,

You can find the car's odometer a few ways (Your phone App will report the odo reading at the bottom of the main menu along with your VIN and Software Version).

In the 3's HUD. Swipe Left just above the bottom menu bar under your car to see the Trip meters and Odometer. I recommend you change Trip B to "Lifetime" to get a sense of your average Wh/km (mine is 169Wh/km after one winter).

Here you can see that since the last charge, I've driven 225.8 km using ~31kWh of energy with an average 136Wh/km (close to 100% efficiency). Your range will depend on this value and affected by many variables such as:

1. Ambient temperature (colder temps = more energy needed to warm battery and cabin). You will notice this range reduction come cooler months in the fall/winter.

2. Topography, you'll use more energy going up hills. What the battery shows is not what you'll get realistically. 500kms full charge may only go 450kms going up hill. The same trip going in reverse, you can travel 575kms on a full charge because it's downhill.

3. Driving habits; are you aggressive on acceleration? or cruising at peak efficiency speeds? Also, is the wind with or against you? Are you maximizing regen braking or using the traditional brakes more?

4. Battery drain for auxiliary systems/programs - Not sleeping while in Sentry Mode will drain on average ~3km/hour depending how busy your parking lot is. Be aware of these drains - typically I always charge the car to 450km (90%) because I expect to lose 50-60kms to drain/Sentry Mode between the typical two day charge cycle I've been doing lately.

All these variables will affect the average Wh/km which the system uses to calculate the range you have. Once you driven more and gotten used to the car, you'll know how much range you have in the battery vs the outside condition.

The community is always here to help. Welcome to the family.

Happy motoring :)

upload_2019-6-17_9-18-10.png

Last edited:
I’m not very familiar with all this as I’m only few days with my Tesla.However I’m thinking it doesn’t matter as the odometer should report the real distance of the car travelled no matter what.
There are two things here, the odometer for the car, and the range estimate left in the battery. The number you see on screen beside the battery is the range estimate for what is left in the battery (analog of fuel in the gas tank). This is the number in @5_+JqckQttqck message that says 182km.

One thing Tesla does different from other EVs (which I still believe is dumb) is not changing the estimated number of km remaining based on the driving style, climate settings, etc. This is something new EV owners will be monumentally confused by (as evidenced by the OPs thread).

The reason the car showed '100 km' of range drop in a day is because:

1. The car assumes you drive at an efficiency of 150 Wh/km. Drive with a lead foot or at high speeds on the highway, and you will be less efficient (any ICE car is the exact same in this regard)
2. This number does not factor in phantom drain (you can lose 10-20km/day just having the car 'sit'). This is another thing dumb about Tesla's vs other EVs
3. This number does not factor in parking in sentry mode (can add another 3-4km/h of range drop)
4. This number does not factor in use of climate control (wait until winter when you find using heat zaps 30-40% of your range)

Total all the above up, and that's how you can quite easily 'lose' 100 km of range over a day when you only drove 40 km.

If you want to see a more realistic estimate of range left, its buried in a few menus but available. Bring up the energy screen and you can look at estimated range based off of recent energy consumption. But that number still only assumes you dont park the car and come back the next day with sentry mode on all night.

Now, I didn't write this to scare you, or make you think you made a bad decision with this car, so it may read as negative, but I'm just trying to cut to the facts as to why the range estimate will almost never line up with your real world conditions. Plugging in every night isn't so bad, you'll start to do it automatically.

But I do agree, this is something that Tesla poorly explains to people. Myself having owned EVs over the past 6 years now was a bit shocked at the phantom drain and 'constant' range estimate they use. But you will adapt, and you will still love this car (I hope).

Note: It can also go in the other direction, where you get more range than estimated, but because of phantom drain and sentry mode, bet on almost always never getting 380km to a full battery (or whatever the SR+ is rated for), unless you do that all in one shot....and even then, you typically shouldn't charge to 100% or let it drop below 10% very often.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

You can find the car's odometer a few ways (Your phone App will report the odo reading at the bottom of the main menu along with your VIN and Software Version).

In the 3's HUD. Swipe Left just above the bottom menu bar under your car to see the Trip meters and Odometer. I recommend you change Trip B to "Lifetime" to get a sense of your average Wh/km (mine is 169Wh/km after one winter).

Here you can see that since the last charge, I've driven 225.8 km using ~31kWh of energy with an average 136Wh/km (close to 100% efficiency). Your range will depend on this value and affected by many variables such as:

1. Ambient temperature (colder temps = more energy needed to warm battery and cabin). You will notice this range reduction come cooler months in the fall/winter.

2. Topography, you'll use more energy going up hills. What the battery shows is not what you'll get realistically. 500kms full charge may only go 450kms going up hill. The same trip going in reverse, you can travel 575kms on a full charge because it's downhill.

3. Driving habits; are you aggressive on acceleration? or cruising at peak efficiency speeds? Also, is the wind with or against you? Are you maximizing regen braking or using the traditional brakes more?

4. Battery drain for auxiliary systems/programs - Not sleeping while in Sentry Mode will drain on average ~3km/hour depending how busy your parking lot is. Be aware of these drains - typically I always charge the car to 450km (90%) because I expect to lose 50-60kms to drain/Sentry Mode between the typical two day charge cycle I've been doing lately.

All these variables will affect the average Wh/km which the system uses to calculate the range you have. Once you driven more and gotten used to the car, you'll know how much range you have in the battery vs the outside condition.

The community is always here to help. Welcome to the family.

Happy motoring :)

View attachment 420239

There are two things here, the odometer for the car, and the range estimate left in the battery. The number you see on screen beside the battery is the range estimate for what is left in the battery (analog of fuel in the gas tank). This is the number in @5_+JqckQttqck message that says 182km.

One thing Tesla does different from other EVs (which I still believe is dumb) is not changing the estimated number of km remaining based on the driving style, climate settings, etc. This is something new EV owners will be monumentally confused by (as evidenced by the OPs thread).

The reason the car showed '100 km' of range drop in a day is because:

1. The car assumes you drive at an efficiency of 150 Wh/km. Drive with a lead foot or at high speeds on the highway, and you will be less efficient (any ICE car is the exact same in this regard)
2. This number does not factor in phantom drain (you can lose 10-20km/day just having the car 'sit'). This is another thing dumb about Tesla's vs other EVs
3. This number does not factor in parking in sentry mode (can add another 3-4km/h of range drop)
4. This number does not factor in use of climate control (wait until winter when you find using heat zaps 30-40% of your range)

Total all the above up, and that's how you can quite easily 'lose' 100 km of range over a day when you only drove 40 km.

If you want to see a more realistic estimate of range left, its buried in a few menus but available. Bring up the energy screen and you can look at estimated range based off of recent energy consumption. But that number still only assumes you dont park the car and come back the next day with sentry mode on all night.

Now, I didn't write this to scare you, or make you think you made a bad decision with this car, so it may read as negative, but I'm just trying to cut to the facts as to why the range estimate will almost never line up with your real world conditions. Plugging in every night isn't so bad, you'll start to do it automatically.

But I do agree, this is something that Tesla poorly explains to people. Myself having owned EVs over the past 6 years now was a bit shocked at the phantom drain and 'constant' range estimate they use. But you will adapt, and you will still love this car (I hope).

Note: It can also go in the other direction, where you get more range than estimated, but because of phantom drain and sentry mode, bet on almost always never getting 380km to a full battery (or whatever the SR+ is rated for), unless you do that all in one shot....and even then, you typically shouldn't charge to 100% or let it drop below 10% very often.

Thanks for your reply. It’s very educative and I learnt a lot in these posts. As suggested, I’ve already set my trip B as Lifetime. I'll writing down all the readings for this week and get familiar with all these EV tips!

Agree with TomLee. Appreciate the helpful advice. It's a bit daunting to get started.

On that note, I discovered TeslaFi, which comes with a free trial. Pretty neat data there TomLee (web-only).

I notice I'm driving with a lead foot!! And a little uphill!

Here's an example of the kind of data TeslaFi produces. Pretty cool/informative/fun.

upload_2019-6-18_19-18-9.png

Reactions: TomLee
Agree with TomLee. Appreciate the helpful advice. It's a bit daunting to get started.

On that note, I discovered TeslaFi, which comes with a free trial. Pretty neat data there TomLee (web-only).

I notice I'm driving with a lead foot!! And a little uphill!

Here's an example of the kind of data TeslaFi produces. Pretty cool/informative/fun.

View attachment 420773

That’s a very interesting site! There were lots of cool features, especially you can ask Alexa to horn your car! However, I found myself a little bit hesitant to try that. Although they said they will discard your Tesla credential after generate the token, or you can generate token by your self, I’m still feeling like to hand the keys to someone else. If I had time, I may just do it myself through the API.

As for the odo reading, I almost give up my investigating. For last two days that I logged, it’s odo readings were on par with each and single travel. Besides, I found out that my wife were test driving it which I didn’t aware of, so really, those extra mileage were the real ones!