Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Wheels Alternative Suggestions for longer lasting tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello members!

Please, it may be a stupid question, but, are there wheel types that allows you to put on tires at are not at a premium compared to stock OEM 19" or 21?"

The problem I like to minimize its impact is tire wear. For example, my 2017 MS 75 has the Goodyear Eagle Touring SCT 500AA rating tires. Supposedly, 500 AA should last ~45k - 50k miles. I am getting about 20k miles. Since the cost is close to 300$ a pop, doesn't sound reasonable at all for 20k miles. That is my concern.

Looking for alternative wheels that allows me to mount lower cost tires knowing I would not get the wear rating of whatever is on the tires.

I've been using the Best Used Tires site for tire replacements now.

Wear rating are a crap shoot, no standard between manufacturers.

Car is heavy closer to truck weight than car and it is easier to access high torque levels. It is going to be hard on tires.

The weight rating might make alternate tire selection a problem.
Could maybe try a narrower rim but a narrower tire in a hard long lasting tread compound is going to sacrifice grip, not just acceleration but stopping and latter grip as well.

I would sooner focus on tire selection, do the Continental or Michelin wear better or are they cheaper?

19 inch wheels definitely help with tire wear compared to the 21 inch. I have 163k miles on my Model S so I went though a few sets of tires. I tried several different ones and in my experience the Michelin MXM4 Primacy are the best overall deal. The grip and performance is very decent, they last pretty long and the price is reasonable. Yes you can get tires that have more grip and shorter stopping distance but their rubber is softer and they will last half the time. You can get tires that may last a little longer but they are more expensive so you don't save money.

The number one thing to make your tires last long is driving style. The faster you go around corners and turns and the harder you accelerate and slow down, the faster they will wear out. Going a few PSI over the recommended tire pressure will also help (48 instead of 45). Make sure your alignment is good and do the tire rotations. bad roads also wear tires out more. It's actually significant. Old rough roads will wear your tires out noticeably more than newer, smooth roads.

One major way to reduce cost and increase longevity is to reduce the speed rating. Unless driving in highly unusual situations (i.e illegally high speeds anywhere in the Americas) these W rated tires are unnecessary, raising costs, increasing wear and stiffening the ride.

Choosing W rated tires will save lots of money and give a better ride with longer tread life. That is the easiest way to improve your life.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Alignment will have the biggest effect. After Tesla aligns the car get a second opinion, well worth the $50 - 100. Our local Wheel Works guy does not sound like he knows what he is doing, same with Firestone, but Sears guy races and knows alignment. Find a quality alignment guy.
Buy a really good tire pressure gauge and a tire wear gauge. Nothing can replace frequent checks of those two parameters. The tire wear gauge should give you early warning of alignment problems.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Just to stress a particular point about what The Duke is saying, he is advocating finding a shop with a knowledgeable individual, to do that you might have to find a local racing forum AutoCross or the like.

Alignment specs are usually listed in ranges and going to one end of the range on a particular measurement will be good for economy while the other end may prioritize handling.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and The Duke