Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-center trunk lid is folding the weather stripping. What's proper gap supposed to be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My trunk lid is off-center. It has about a 1 1/2 - 2 mm gap between the tail light assembly on the body and the tail light assembly on the trunk lid on one side and a 5 1/2+ mm gap on the other side. You can see that the trunk lid is crushing/folding the weatherstripping on one side. During heavy rainstorms, I'll end up with water trapped in the weather stripping and between the weather stripping and the trunk.

Does anyone know if realigning the trunk lid would stop the water from getting in there? The car is still under warranty and I'm going to make an appointment, but my local SC has been known to brush people off and tell them that their problems are normal, so I don't exactly have blind faith in them anymore. I'm hoping someone here has experience with this, or knows how big of a differential in gap size is too much.

Trunk lid seal, left side.jpg Trunk lid seal, right side.jpg water, right side.jpg