Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Road Assist MYLR Review and Questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st up Big Props. It works as advertised making the most of available traction.

Yesterday I had a job to take a regular up the 2nd worst country driveway in the district. My old Kia would take chunks out of his weird round gravel steep as hell damp pine needled goat track. You would be wondering if you would make it every time.

Tentatively I engaged the ORA and proceeded at the pace required to rally up and around the last mossy pine needled bend.

All we got was the occasional scrunch sound of a wheel getting just a little loose before TC caught it. No feedback in the arse from loss of traction or in the right foot or steering. It just carried on like a Sunday drive.

The last rally stage was not required, but it was not quite holding line so I guess it was technically rallying and I did let off the go pedal in anticipation.

Nothing like previous adventures in taxiland. Customer was gobsmacked as was I. Not even any off road tyres involved.

On the way down there was barely a scuff to be seen here and there from where a wheel had slightly broken traction before being caught by the TC.

2nd up, a couple of questions. Is there any reason, aside from the cruise control gubbins are turned off, why I couldn't run around in ORA full time on tarmac? Loss of milage I can live with.

We got gritted hills covered in ice we are up and down all day. I don't need anything like full power to get around.

Related question. Does regen work on both my LR motors when you are in standard drive? How about ORA mode?

One motor is induction and one is permanent magnet.

Today I did my first run up the big ski hill, Remarkables. Used the ORA back down until off the mud. It held back beautifully with partial 'throttle'. Finished the day about 2kW extra used on the ski run.

That's a win for EV. Petrol or diesel absolutely chews it up climbing and you don't even get much regen out of a hybrid with little battery.