Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offering slot to my firend, really...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two reservations, both available for config. I deferred the first 'till dual motors are out. I have decided that I don't want to buy the second but I have a friend who would like it - this is a legitimate friend and I want no compensation for the deal.

Tesla store tells me "absolutely NP, this happens all the time, loads of employees did it for family/friends...but you need to talk to 'Inside Sales' people in Las Vegas to arrange the transaction"

Inside Sales tells me "no problem, use your account, have your friend make any payments, then after delivery to you, you can transfer title to your friend." Importantly, I don't want to title the car in my name.

So I have a clear response from Tesla that it is OK with them to use this reservation for my non-owner, non-line-waiting friend (not looking for discussions about whether or not this is allowed).

I want the sales transaction/delivery to be between Tesla and my friend with first title issued to him. I want no doubts about who is responsible for Ohio sales tax and a clear claim to any tax credits for him. Tesla issuing the title to me then my 'transferring' title to him is unnecessarily murky for a $60 transaction. Anyone have direct experience with this? What did you do?

I get that we all love TSLA, though I am waiting a while to see what the finance and lease options/rates would be before putting any money out there. Just because we could doesnt mean we should, lol
But I agree, TSLA is telling you no problem but they are not handling the trasnation to your friend at all. If its truely no problem they should allow you to transfer the reservation to your friends name then he takes delivery directly. I feel they can make it less complicated. However with everyone ponying up money sight unseen why do they have any reason to give in to customer requests.

I have two reservations, both available for config. I deferred the first 'till dual motors are out. I have decided that I don't want to buy the second but I have a friend who would like it - this is a legitimate friend and I want no compensation for the deal.

Tesla store tells me "absolutely NP, this happens all the time, loads of employees did it for family/friends...but you need to talk to 'Inside Sales' people in Las Vegas to arrange the transaction"

Inside Sales tells me "no problem, use your account, have your friend make any payments, then after delivery to you, you can transfer title to your friend." Importantly, I don't want to title the car in my name.

So I have a clear response from Tesla that it is OK with them to use this reservation for my non-owner, non-line-waiting friend (not looking for discussions about whether or not this is allowed).

I want the sales transaction/delivery to be between Tesla and my friend with first title issued to him. I want no doubts about who is responsible for Ohio sales tax and a clear claim to any tax credits for him. Tesla issuing the title to me then my 'transferring' title to him is unnecessarily murky for a $60 transaction. Anyone have direct experience with this? What did you do?

Tesla is making it overly complicated on your end, and not much easier on theirs.

You can have your friend configure the car on your account and pay the $2500 non refundable deposit. Have him fill out the registration information (portal opens up after configuration payment) and the title will go straight to him. Add him as an alternate contact and if your ISA is wise, they will contact him to complete the delivery. You’ll have to provide your friend access for a few things (trading in a car, submitting some documents) but the title and car will be under his name.

Afterwards, it’ll take a while but you’ll have to request the car gets transferred to his Tesla account. Tesla can provide him mobile app access fairly quickly but for some reason they cannot transfer the car between accounts in a timely manner. This has nothing to do with registration and taxes though.

KIS. List your friend as ALT contact. Configure and registration and payment all in his name. When VIN assigned, expect a call 2-5 days afterwards. An experienced ISA will match the name and use the proper contact. If not, just watch out for area code 725 call answer, and give the alternative # and email. Forward the email too of the ISA when they reach out.

Rest should be easy until delivery.

The hard part is getting the app transferred to new email. That takes an email and 2-3 weeks wait until completed. Until then, you can pop your friend's trunk and honk their horn remotely :)