Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offroad performance similar to a Humvee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla had an opposite, it would be Hummer, a company that's no longer in business.

I'm sure there are a few Hummer-haters in these forums, but one thing you can't deny: The original (first generation) H1 or military-spec Humvee had insane performance in terms of navigating offroad. It was literally capable of climbing a 30" cliff, as the Pentagon had originally requested.

One of its advantages was that the rear differential and engine were both elevated, so it could "straddle over" fairly large boulders, with two wheels on each side. Even the most "lifted" vehicles don't have that feature.

But the Cybertruck just might have similar clearance in the center, and a low center of gravity to boot, even lower than the Hummers.

So I'm thinking maybe the Cybertruck may be able to go where even the original Hummer could not. This is pure conjecture, but whadya think folks? If so, Tesla should highlight that fact, it may get some serious respect.
Have you driven one? I did for many years in the service. They drive terrible, slow, heavy, brakes are awful, steering is heavy. The HUMVEE was designed for the Middle East and due to its massive size isn’t great in all off road applications. It’s more modern competition would be a f150 raptor not a Jeep Wrangler. To put it in perspective H1s have won the Baja 1000 not rock crawling.

And for the CT to be a serious off roader you will have to be able to delete the stupid air suspension. Air is good for on road, ok for light off road, but sucks for hard off road. No one has done a legit off roader with air. Even the hard core Jeep guys pull the air for “Kings and springs” in built grandcherokee trail hawks.

Last edited:
Have you driven one? I did for many years in the service. They drive terrible, slow, heavy, brakes are awful, steering is heavy. The HUMVEE was designed for the Middle East and due to its massive size isn’t great in all off road applications. It’s more modern competition would be a f150 raptor not a Jeep Wrangler. To put it in perspective H1s have won the Baja 1000 not rock crawling.

And for the CT to be a serious off roader you will have to be able to delete the stupid air suspension. Air is good for on road, ok for light off road, but sucks for hard off road. No one has done a legit off roader with air. Even the hard core Jeep guys pull the air for “Kings and springs” in built grandcherokee trail hawks.

I have not driven one. Have they committed to air suspension, or could it be hydraulic... and would that solve the problem?

I do feel one of its unique characteristics is the ability to lower it so it "corners like it's on rails". (or at least so sayeth Elon... Although Elon is known to sayeth many things that don't happen.)

I have not driven one. Have they committed to air suspension, or could it be hydraulic... and would that solve the problem?

I do feel one of its unique characteristics is the ability to lower it so it "corners like it's on rails". (or at least so sayeth Elon... Although Elon is known to sayeth many things that don't happen.)
everything I’ve seen they are doing air. Hydraulic is a much better option for adjustable since it is more robust and keeps traditional springs like the Toyota system in my 200 Land Cruiser. I hope they go with something similar but have not heard anything along those lines.

Air suspension that can raise and lower has been around for over 30 years. MB and Jeep SUVs with air suspension lowers at highway speeds and it is the same Bosch system Tesla uses on the S and x. Off road when it raises it increases the air pressure and spring rate so as it gets higher you lose travel and articulation. End up “pogoing” off the bump stops with a wheel off the ground white knuckled. Also air compressors overheat and if the compressor, lines, or any component of the suspension fails it drops all the way down to low and you are SOL. I’ve seen it happen on a grandcherokee. I would take 10” of clearance with great articulation over 18” of clearance and little to none. Again airbus good for on road not so good off road.

Reactions: lottadot