Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just completed 10 day Road Trip with 2023 Model Y RWD - Mixed feelings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be somewhat annoying/irrelevant to US based owners for me to post this but I have a Shanghai built MY and not only does it have USS sensors, but the build quality and panel gaps are perfect, plus the road noise is massively suppressed - quieter than my 2019 CX9 which is a quiet car - so obviously these things can be sorted. I believe the same guy who set up Giga Shanghai is now based in the US so here’s hoping. The suspension is unfortunately still crap - pretty much the same suspension as Model 3 I believe - very little travel and overly firm shocks is the issue I think.
First, MY is okay, and if you compare it against Mazda it will be good, but if some compare it against BMW sedans, then it is not that good of course. The suspension on MY is significantly less capable than M3. Perhaps because M3 is a sedan and MY is an SUV...

First, MY is okay, and if you compare it against Mazda it will be good, but if some compare it against BMW sedans, then it is not that good of course. The suspension on MY is significantly less capable than M3. Perhaps because M3 is a sedan and MY is an SUV...
I’m a bit of a road noise nutter as here in NZ we have something called ‘coarse chip’ which is the worlds loudest ‘sealed’ road surface I am certain. I’ve had CX3, CX5 & the CX9. Only the CX9 had any real sound deadening lol. I have put sound deadening into the CX5 doors but it didn’t do much. I think the main noise comes from the wheel arches which I’ve noticed the MY has soft linings which I think help a bit. Our Model Y’s have laminated glass on all windows plus the foam in the tyres etc. Just a few bits and pieces here and there which might be different to US cars. My MY is WAY quieter than a RAV4 Hybrid that I drive from time to time just fyi.

Just got a '23 MYP (CA-Fremont) and it's been fine so far at 600 miles: no rattles or squeeks and the fit of the vehicle is fine. The only issue I have is a driver side window that doesn't always auto-close and wheel rash. My MYP is not perfect but I am very satisfied so far: it's exceeded my expectations of an EV.

Cheers!
Same here. I was surprised how well the panel fit and paint was on this Performance Fremont build- virtually Perfect.

Checked for rattles , squeaks and water leaks None.

My car has 3 things that could be better.

Wife thinks it rides to rough just plain stiffly sprung. But it handles flat.

On center steering feel could be better car does not pull to one side but does not have a really "good" inherent on center feel, lots of small corrections while driving on a straight road if there are any imperfections in the road surface.

Passenger seat seams like the weight sensor is calibrated a bit high a few trips with 130lb people in the passenger seat and the air bag OFF indication was showing.

My car may have been a previously refused delivery because the hood would slightly dimple around the T when closed. The hood nuts had been touched up so Tesla obviously tried to reset it before I got it.
I took some time and dialed the alignment and latches in and got rid of 90% of the dimple, Worried the Tesla Service center might introduce new problems.
Really Happy with the Fremont YP but may have to make an appointment on the passenger seat weight sensor if it continues to not sense a passengers weight. That is a safety issue.

Same here. I was surprised how well the panel fit and paint was on this Performance Fremont build- virtually Perfect.

Checked for rattles , squeaks and water leaks None.

My car has 3 things that could be better.

Wife thinks it rides to rough just plain stiffly sprung. But it handles flat.

On center steering feel could be better car does not pull to one side but does not have a really "good" inherent on center feel, lots of small corrections while driving on a straight road if there are any imperfections in the road surface.

Passenger seat seams like the weight sensor is calibrated a bit high a few trips with 130lb people in the passenger seat and the air bag OFF indication was showing.

My car may have been a previously refused delivery because the hood would slightly dimple around the T when closed. The hood nuts had been touched up so Tesla obviously tried to reset it before I got it.
I took some time and dialed the alignment and latches in and got rid of 90% of the dimple, Worried the Tesla Service center might introduce new problems.
Really Happy with the Fremont YP but may have to make an appointment on the passenger seat weight sensor if it continues to not sense a passengers weight. That is a safety issue.
I think the ride/suspension is pretty decent; the wide performance tires are solid.

I kept the steering to Normal as Sport was way too stiff.

The front hood is really light and thin; I think Tesla needs to strengthen it as it dings really easily.

The passemger airbag seat sensor is concerning-hope you get that fixed.

Reactions: 455dan
I appreciate the write up. We will be taking a first road trip in our Model Y soon. Should be fun.
Build quality is a serious issue, in my opinion, and also the way the repairs are being done leaves much to be desired. Here's how Tesla fixed our factory paint defect on the driver's side. It's terrible.

We have a second Model Y on order with a VIN already assigned. Scheduled for delivery last week of July. We're thinking about canceling that order to be honest given what Tesla did to my door... I'm not even sure how to handle it, honestly.

IMG_0703.jpeg

I appreciate the write up. We will be taking a first road trip in our Model Y soon. Should be fun.
Build quality is a serious issue, in my opinion, and also the way the repairs are being done leaves much to be desired. Here's how Tesla fixed our factory paint defect on the driver's side. It's terrible.

We have a second Model Y on order with a VIN already assigned. Scheduled for delivery last week of July. We're thinking about canceling that order to be honest given what Tesla did to my door... I'm not even sure how to handle it, honestly.

View attachment 955569
I don't see any issues?

View attachment 955569

maybe get an estimate from a pro body shop and take it back to Tesla showing them that pic and saying this is utterly unacceptable

That honestly sucks !.
I have my own share of recent troubles on my (#2) MYP. Honestly my TeslaFunBoy wings got seriously clipped and am now concerned.
DC charging not working ( open service ticket scheduled for 25th)
Cruise control / autopilot / park assist don't work ( can't open service ticket because one is already open )

Car has 5000 miles on it,

maybe get an estimate from a pro body shop and take it back to Tesla showing them that pic and saying this is utterly unacceptable

That honestly sucks !.
I have my own share of recent troubles on my (#2) MYP. Honestly my TeslaFunBoy wings got seriously clipped and am now concerned.
Cruise control / autopilot / park assist don't work ( can't open service ticket because one is already open )

Wow

That honestly sucks !.

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. I was super excited to finally make the EV leap and my fanboy wings have definitely been clipped as well. I hope the issues you have get resolved and quickly. On the plus side, they did fix alignment issues, defective trim, and a couple other minor things very well. It's just the paint job on the driver side.

counterpoint:
BMW, Merc, Audi can have great service. Sometimes.
The manufacturing detail and processes are more expensive and of higher quality.
Overall, having experienced them all, Lexus makes the best cars with the best service experience.

The idea German cars are somehow superior is not true. There are tradeoffs with everything and the ride is great but at the cost of durability.
The maintenance costs are tremendous if you own. Out of warranty you are literally hemmoraging money if you don't know how to fix cars.
Nowadays, the German cars are becoming really good at locking you out of access anyway. EQS hood doesn't even open. "service only".

German cars, as has been true for years, are great lease vehicles. 3-5yr service life and then, disposable. The vast majority of German lux brands are leased. A MUCH higher % of Teslas are bought. Significant difference in priorities of the sale.

German cars historic problem areas are electronics and poor software integration. Incredibly expensive processes for the most mundane service issues.
They are beautiful products, which is why people keep leasing them. Look at the mechanicals. They are completely disposable. Everything is plastic, and that's common with many brands nowadays but at this price, many would expect some quality beyond a Corolla.
The body and interior are where they spend the money. They have great dynamics.

They are different products and different markets. The Tesla is superior in key factors that are, imo, critical for a EV.

As much as one slams Tesla's design, there is no question that EVERY manufacturer benchmarked Tesla and it has influenced every car on the market today. The key design elements that Tesla popularized and were criticized for, are now mainstream elements that every ev copied.

counterpoint:
The manufacturing detail and processes are more expensive and of higher quality.
Overall, having experienced them all, Lexus makes the best cars with the best service experience.

The idea German cars are somehow superior is not true. There are tradeoffs with everything and the ride is great but at the cost of durability.
The maintenance costs are tremendous if you own. Out of warranty you are literally hemmoraging money if you don't know how to fix cars.
Nowadays, the German cars are becoming really good at locking you out of access anyway. EQS hood doesn't even open. "service only".

German cars, as has been true for years, are great lease vehicles. 3-5yr service life and then, disposable. The vast majority of German lux brands are leased. A MUCH higher % of Teslas are bought. Significant difference in priorities of the sale.

German cars historic problem areas are electronics and poor software integration. Incredibly expensive processes for the most mundane service issues.
They are beautiful products, which is why people keep leasing them. Look at the mechanicals. They are completely disposable. Everything is plastic, and that's common with many brands nowadays but at this price, many would expect some quality beyond a Corolla.

They are different products and different markets. The Tesla is superior in key factors that are, imo, critical for a EV.

As much as one slams Tesla's design, there is no question that EVERY manufacturer benchmarked Tesla and it has influenced every car on the market today. The key design elements that Tesla popularized and were criticized for, are now mainstream elements that every ev copied.
That was a good read! I agree 100%!

counterpoint:

amen!

Just curious, what are the mainstream elements that are now copied of Tesla?

amen!

Just curious, what are the mainstream elements that are now copied of Tesla?
Large center screen with all controls through touch screen.
Characteristic minimalist styling.
Flush door handles
Power projecting door handles (X,S)
Full glass roof
Frunk
OTA updates
dashcam
benchmark performance standards
Supercharging network
NACS (which only now has everyone swung around on from CCS)
Their manufacturing process is innovative.

All of these were novel when Tesla introduced them. Tesla didn't invent this but Tesla defined the EV market with it.
Even now a decade later, most have not been able to replicate or compete. I'm most impressed with the internals. Very efficent and out of the box thinking. Every legacy ev i've seen has mostly carryover ICE parts bin engineering mixed with the ev parts.

The software updates and capability to do this is something most cannot yet do. Historically legacy makers are very poor in electronics and software.
Look at something as simple as NAV. Most are outdated before they come out. All have given up and use Carplay and Android auto.
Legacy carmakers can't even keep up with a $300 mobile phone.

Listen, don't get me wrong. German cars are great. I have a long history of ownership and know how good they can be. Best dynamics in the industry, I think.
But look at any new German product in this sub- $150k market ... c'mon be honest, it's disposable. I think the 911 is probably one of the few really well made German cars in the old-school sense of "well made".
Ask any BMW fan what the greatest or last great M car was. It's was, not is. That ship has sailed- just like Mercedes quality.

Like I said, if i'm leasing, these are irrelevant. They have extended oil changes and service intervals, "lifetime" fluids - all so dealerships can maximize profits and minimize work. I only care about what's flash and nice. Engine could be made of legos, 5 yrs later the oil could be sludge- doesn't matter. Not my car.

If you purchase a car, totally different yardstick.

Tesla isn't pefect by any means. They are way too focused on cost savings and streamlining manufacturing and assembly. That is good for them, not good for the customer.
Megacasting is impressive. For them. It's not buying the customer anything.

At this stage, Teslas should be much more solidly built with much fewer issues. I mean, that stuff is really unacceptable.
Every year they should be improving for the customer, but they focus on profit margins.
So far that has worked, but I would like to see much more value added for customers. I'm not even speaking about design or refresh but just fit and finish, materials, trim details and manufacturing quality. If they kept improving, these would be untouchable cars.

Tesla skips processes that are normal in legacy brands- even Corollas have more finish in that regard in some cases.

No one is perfect but I honestly think Tesla has a far superior product for daily life and how most people use vehicles. I hope everyone else catches up. That would be great.

There is a really very compelling argument for manufacturers having copied numerous Tesla hallmarks, not to mention the EV drivetrain itself, but claiming they fostered the move into e.g. panoramic glass roofs or flush door handles or trumpeting the company's manufacturing innovations when the end result is a manifestly lesser quality product won't win anyone over.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel
There is a really very compelling argument for manufacturers having copied numerous Tesla hallmarks, not to mention the EV drivetrain itself, but claiming they fostered the move into e.g. panoramic glass roofs or flush door handles or trumpeting the company's manufacturing innovations when the end result is a manifestly lesser quality product won't win anyone over.
I don't really understand this argument.
If not for Tesla innovations and "out of box" thinking, Tesla would never make it in the legacy makers jungle for that exact ( quality deficiencies) reason.

All other startups struggle because they're not really bringing anything new to the market other than Tesla copied ideas.

To quote George Carlin: au contraire mon frère, or better put, tout le contraire. They’ll win over senior management with cost savings bonuses, senior management with production bonuses, every shareholder, and all those consumers who place a higher value on things Tesla delivers than things it does not. If and when sales tank, there will be gnashing of teeth and wrenching of hands but that’s today an unlikely happening with so much concentration on the quarter, not the multi-year horizon.

And there’s another more disturbing factor: people don’t seem to care. Other than rants in forums, people are still buying the vehicles even with the perceived lack of quality but with built-in disposability, just like they/we buy computers, washers, HVAC systems, clothing, even homes, etc. One perhaps only remotely relevant example: I have a 48-year-old KitchenAid stand mixer purchased new that is still kicking it with all of its original attachments. 48 years of typical near-daily use. 48 years. A mixer. A friend bought essentially the same mixer five years ago and has had it replaced twice under warranty and twice more not in warranty (really likes the way it works, but….). But 48 years. Who does that today for any consumer product, vehicle or not?

OK, maybe a bit too much caffeine this moring. Oh wait, have I mentioned my mixer has worked flawlessly for almost half a century?