Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just completed 10 day Road Trip with 2023 Model Y RWD - Mixed feelings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

My model Y RWD (EDIT - it's AWD) was delivered at the end of April, and now has 4K miles on it, half of them in the last 10 days as the result of a road trip from NC to FL and back. My wife and I had taken a similar road trip in January, driving her 2021 BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid instead of an EV. The comparison between the two cars is interesting.

A bit of background may help understand the comparison better. The Model Y is our 6th pure EV, a Nissan Leaf, 2 BMW i3s (1 a ReX), a 2018 Model 3 RWD, a 2023 Bolt EUV, and now the Model Y. The 330e is a plug in hybrid with a +/- 20 mile pure EV range. That limitation is obvious, but we live in a city where that range is useful since much of our routine daily driving can be done with that limited range and using our home EV charger to replenish distance relatively quickly when needed.

I expected the 2023 Model Y to be a significant improvement over the Model 3, and in terms of form factor (SUV vs sedan) it is indeed a more practical vehicle, but I was disappointed in the car's build quality, something I didn't expect. My Y is an Austin built 4680 battery model utilizing the GigaPress manufacturing process. I deliberately bought this model instead of the LR since only Austin produced the GigaPress/4680 battery pack car when I ordered the Y. I was willing to sacrifice ultimate range since we don't take road trips often, and our in home charger combined with easy SC access near our home make charging simple and fast.

On the trip we used a hotel Level 2 charger once overnight, charging to 90%, and the rest of the time SC typically limiting charging to 80%, but often less and once or twice up to 90% to try to optimize charge time versus travel time. SC worked fine, no issues, and overall the charging difference between our 279 mile range and the LR 330 mile range was a non-issue. We're seniors and typically stop every 2 hours or so, making the LR battery more of a luxury than necessity. Charging costs varied from $0.34-$0.40 KwH, a reasonable range and still a bit lower than gas. We did notice that the SC locations have become a bit mixed.

Some are now associated with large gasoline providers, like Sheetz and Buc'ee. I STRONGLY suggest avoiding Buc'ee if possible. They have a large number of SC, but the locations are swamped with people and ingress/egress is terrible. It took us over 20 minutes to enter the parking area and get to a charger at each of 3 different locations, and even longer to exit. If Tesla continues to expand partnerships with Buc'ee, and the SC are opened to Ford and GM vehicles I fear that charging delays will become a very serious challenge. I deliberately used SC locations to charge to 90% so I could avoid having to charge at a Buc'ee location. One hotel where we stayed had ChargePoint 30 AMP J1772 chargers that were free to guests. It took over 10 hours to recharge to 90% overnight, but it worked with the Tesla adapter without issue. You will need a ChargePoint card or APP to use the chargers. I have them for EVGO, ChargePoint. In my experience EVGO is a nightmare. Many stations don't work, and the high powered chargers require a Tesla adapter. I got $500 in EVGO charging credits when I bought the Chevy Bolt, but I doubt I'll ever use them. SC use is almost mandatory when traveling, and regardless of the long term impact on the EV battery I'll continue to use them without hesitation.

My car has obvious panel alignment problems, and the doors especially are problematic. The front passenger door is over an 1/8" space between the frame and the closed door. If you view it from the rear the extension of the door from the correct closed position is blatant. It creates more road noise than it should, partly air gap, partly alignment. The rear hatch is equally challenged, the misalignment from left to right is very visible and hard to understand with the GigaPress assembly process. It's not only annoying, it seems to be routine and accepted. The service tech, who I've known since my 2018 Model 3 purchase, said that it's common, but "The Austin cars are generally still better than Sacramento". That's very disappointing, and frankly unacceptable.

My car has no USS and it does affect parking, especially in typical parking lots/shopping centers. The car warned me that I was very close to obstacles and I parked when the alerts happened. When I got out of the car and looked at where I was there was typically a foot or more room in front of the car that I could have moved up without damage. It seems as if the camera based sensor has issues with the angle of the camera and the length of the hood. The result is that the camera can't see as you get closer to an obstacle (like a concrete stop at the parking space) and errs on the side of avoiding it. That's particularly true since the low overhang of many cars would be damaged by getting closer to the concrete block. I expect the lower front spoiler for the Model Y/3 performance may be affected by the lack of USS parking challenges.

I also was disappointed in the suspension. The upgraded changes to the Model Y suspension were supposed to improve the ride. In a back to back drive with my car and my friend's 2022 Model Y (older suspension) there is a noticeable, if subtle, improvement in the ride in my car. I was expecting a much improved ride - it isn't, and the car still has a lot of body motion and doesn't respond well to bumps/road imperfections. In day to day driving it's acceptable, but for longer road trips, at least for me, it's not a lot of fun. My wife's BMW is everything that the Tesla isn't - Smooth on the road, far quieter in all circumstances, more dynamic to drive (responsive, stable, engaging), far better interior materials/quality. The differences are not subtle - they are immediately noticeable, and even more so when driving.

What disturbs me most is that Tesla has improved in many ways since my 2018 Model 3, but in several ways it remains a frustrating ownership experience on many levels. The SC network is even better now than before. More locations and faster chargers. In 2018-2019 SC stalls in my home state were typically limited to 125KwH versus the 250 KwH units today. There are also far more charging locations. It's a big improvement, both in charging time and access. Bravo Tesla!

Sadly, the driving experience is worse, at least for me. I should state that we've owned and enjoyed BMWs for well over 30 years. Mostly model 3/5 sedans. Each of those cars were enjoyable to drive, with excellent suspensions and driving dynamics. Repair costs were above the price of many brands, but I didn't care, enjoying the ride and driving involvement. Tesla is a LONG WAY from matching the BMW experience, and now that BMW is producing a far better product than the i3 I owned years ago, I believe they will be serious competition in the coming years. If they also decide to make Tesla charging ports standard, as has Ford and GM, I fear that Tesla will be left behind as the only advantage that I see with Tesla is the SC network. The ride/materials/build quality are all far behind BMW and others. If you haven't tried the newer European EVs go and see for yourself. The MB, BMW, Audi entries are quite impressive. They clearly are behind Tesla in many ways, but those ways typically appeal to the "early adapters" and "techies", not typically car enthusiasts.

Yes, I'm well aware of the Model 3/S/Y performance cars. I've driven all of them, several at racetracks like Virginia International Raceway. Ignoring the challenges of charging at those locations, the suspension shortcomings, brake fade issues (dangerous), handling problems are impossible to ignore. I can place any of my BMW cars on a specific track line and hold it around the track, and I'm far less able to do so with my friend's Performance models. The brake fade issues are serious and limiting.

I realize that most people don't drive cars that hard, but as Tesla begins to lose the unique SC advantage, I believe many others will explore driving fun as a purchase decision. It's not just track use. Take any model 3 Performance for an acceleration run to 140+ MPH speeds. You'll find that the car drifts significantly. As speed increases so does the drift. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that it was difficult to stay between the lines on a standard lane at speed. And handling/braking were far more challenging.

Despite my observations, I still enjoy my Model Y and hope to have many enjoyable years together. Yet, I can't help but wonder if Tesla has missed an opportunity to improve driving dynamics, build quality, and especially service issues when they were still the only manufacturer with SC access. My local Tesla location has literally dozens of cars awaiting parts to complete repairs. Many of these cars, according to my service department friend, have been waiting for 2 months or more. That's unacceptable, and won't go unnoticed as competition heats up.

I imagine that the coming CyberTruck will further strain Tesla's logistics and service issues, and when the Model 2 arrives in the coming years, I fear that the window for Tesla to move from "the only game in town" to a more competition based automobile environment will require serious leadership recognition that the honeymoon phase of Tesla is likely coming to an end pretty soon. Yes, Tesla is still without competition in many ways, but the gap is closing, and my recent road trip/ownership experience leaves me with some buyer's remorse, and concern about the entire ownership experience.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but I can't ignore glaring build quality issues, driving dynamics far behind other brands, relying on camera sensors exclusively that force me to have to get out of my car and realign my car in the parking space, and more road/tire noise than is comfortable on longer drives as being acceptable in today's marketplace. Many of these issues aren't obvious in day to day routine driving, but become glaring issues on a road trip.

I expected more in the 5 years since my first Tesla purchase, and I suspect others will too. New owners may be more forgiving, as I have learned to be across many different EV brands, but as EV use become more common, so will the need for EV manufacturers to transition to higher build standards and stronger competition.

50392324647_d962d9f395_b.jpg

"IMG_0765" by Robert T Bell is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
That's a very fair assessment of where Tesla is at today. I do think they are confident that they will remain competitive even as they open up the Supercharger network to other car brands, but I guess we shall see. I think it's a good thing for Tesla to be forced to improve and keep up instead of sitting on their Supercharger advantage.

By the way, your car is an "AWD" right? I'm not aware of any RWD Model Y's available in the USA right now, unless you took delivery of a RWD that was ordered a few years ago?

My car has obvious panel alignment problems, and the doors especially are problematic. The front passenger door is over an 1/8" space between the frame and the closed door. If you view it from the rear the extension of the door from the correct closed position is blatant. It creates more road noise than it should, partly air gap, partly alignment. The rear hatch is equally challenged, the misalignment from left to right is very visible and hard to understand with the GigaPress assembly process. It's not only annoying, it seems to be routine and accepted. The service tech, who I've known since my 2018 Model 3 purchase, said that it's common, but "The Austin cars are generally still better than Sacramento". That's very disappointing, and frankly unacceptable.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I have the same mentality as you, and have plans to specifically get the base AWD version due to the front and rear gigacastings and 4680 structural battery pack. I was, and still am, under the impression that the tolerance should be better with the gigacasts so there should be less panel gap issues. It's unfortunate that you are still seeing this.

Did you put in a ticket to have the panel issues with your door and rear hatch address? Please do follow up here and let us know how it goes.

Does your base AWD present with less or no squeaks and rattles as compared to your friend's model y?

Thanks for the very interesting review! The BMW sounds like a superior car in terms of fit and finish. I'm not very knowledgable about BMW EVs - do they offer something with pricing/range/power similar to the MY? I looked at the BMW website but I got a bit lost, due to my lack of familarity.

For comparison, I just ran the "Model Y wizard" and the price came out to be $49843 for the LR-AWD (no extras), including my local 10% sales tax, and subtracting out the $7500 tax credit. That's a lot less than I paid for my 2018 M3. :confused:

So far I've not requested any repairs/adjustments on the car I've only had it for a bit over 6 weeks, nearly 2 of which was the recent road trip. Some of the issues hadn't shown up until then. To be clear, the panel alignments aren't really an issue - they may be off a bit, but not significantly so. The issues revolve around the doors/hatch. The doors are obviously not aligned properly, nor is the trunk. The tighter tolerances on the panel gaps do seem to suggest that the GigaPress built cars benefit from tighter build tolerances. If they can fix the door/trunk assembly issues the car would be well on the way to being free of delivery issues entirely. Sandy Munro and his team comment on the 4680 battery pack and GigaPress assembly process in this video (the first minute is all you need to view, but the entire video is interesting, including their comments about the battery pack - view the first 3 mintues):

Sandy's comments specifically about the 4680 battery pack is viewable here:

Driving around town the car is fine, relatively quiet with tire noise the predominant issue, especially so on concrete roads. There are some occasional squeaks/rattles, but not excessively so. They become more prominent, and noticeable, on rougher roads. Lately I'm more aware of some annoying squeaks, but it could also be related to the extra things we took with us - cups/snacks typically stored in the cubby areas in the center console. We also had a full load of luggage in the rear, including extra items below the main deck in the rear. The car can hold an amazing amount of baggage.

Compared to my friend's 2022 Model Y the 2023 is quieter. The suspension is also more supple, but still trails Euro cars by quite a bit. I'm still happy to have the Austin built 4680/GigaPress assembly, and compared to the 2018 Model Y RWD LR the car is better built and refinement is evident. It's just that my expectations were higher, looking for Tesla to have stepped up their interior quality and assembly process. There is also an issue with the side windows which are designed to lie flush with the exterior. That works well when everything is perfectly aligned, but few cars are built to that level of tolerance, including high end Euro cars. I've owned some very expensive sports cars (German/Italian) and they also had squeaks/rattles. Given everything I'd still repurchase the Model Y - I hoped for better QC and materials, but that isn't yet Tesla's focus.

In terms of Euro competitors, the BMW iX is a serious competitor to the Model X and priced accordingly. I don't feel that EVs have matured enough to justify spending $100K or so on a car that will likely be worth far less in a few years, just like the early years of computers. The BMW i4 competes with the Model 3, and the i7 targets the Model S. I'm very familiar with the entire BMW line, and I am biased toward them largely based on prior ownership.

The MB cars seem very well built and ride very well. I enjoyed the test drive experience, but like the other Euro brands they are new models and it's hard to know much about reliability and other factors. Overall, at least for the next few years, I still believe Tesla is the brand to own and will remain so. I'm hopeful that Musk takes a good look at the challenges of relying on the SC network as a barrier to entry and competition, and upgrade materials/features while improving build and service issues.

And, finally, the combination of a $7,500 tax incentive, and the recently reduced $46,990 price for the base AWD Austin built Model Y, makes it difficult to be too upset with my car. My son bought a Honda CR-V a bit over a year ago (supply shortage) and paid nearly $38K for the car. Compared to that the model Y was, and I believe still is, an unbeatable bargain.

As a comparison, when I bought my 2015 BMW i3 ReX, that car had a 74 mile EV range, which extended an additional 70 miles when the 2 cylinder ICE engine was powered up to charge the battery when driving. It was a small car, with a very effective marketing strategy, and while the build quality was fine, the mechanical issues and excessive tire wear were never ending problems. That car, also qualifying for a tax credit, listed at $54K+!! The 2018 Tesla Model 3 RWD LR I bought listed for about the same amount. On a comparable basis the Tesla continues to be untouchable.

And just to complete my EV experience summary - the Nissan Leaf was built on a Versa body, was cheap feeling/riding/driving. The only attraction was the EV drivetrain, but nothing else about the car was worthwhile. Both BMW i3s were riddled with problems, mostly electrical/mechanical. The limited range was prohibitive, and in colder weather the original 84 mile is BEV barely could get 55 miles total range. It was nearly useless. BMW allowed me to roll it into the i3 ReX, recognizing that the car fell far short of advertised range (I also am/was a BMWCCA member and had owned over 10 BMWs, and 3 BMW motorcycles prior to buying the i3). Despite a clever use of space the i3s were also very limited and not worth the price.

The 2023 Chevrolet BOLT EUV LT trim was a very surprising and fine machine. It consistently got better range than the EPA estimates. In 70 degree weather, driving in town without A/C I could easily get 280+ mile range verse the EPA 259 estimate. The car has a "two stage" regen system, both can be disabled as well. When combined they provide wonderful flexibility and eliminate range anxiety. When I ordered the EUV there was a recall on the GM battery pack, and all production stopped. They allowed me to roll my order into a 2023 model, and also cut the MSRP by over $6,000. My Bolt EUV listed for just under $30K with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard, Silver Flare Paint (same color as the Corvette!), dual level charging equipment providing the ability to plug into 120 or 240 outlets with included adapters, rear park assist, cross traffic alerts, Blind side warnings (visual/audio), 8 way power seat, multistage heated front seats, heated leather wrapped steering wheel and more for a list price under $30,000 including shipping! It also qualifies for the entire $7,500 tax credit. It's a value proposition that can't be beat, especially in the very useful quasi SUV body design. GM is also providing your choice of $500 of EV charging credit at any EVGO location, or they will pay for the installation of a 40AMP wall outlet that will pair with their included charging cables to essentially provide no cost EV charging at faster speeds than standard 120 outlets.

The reason I sold it is simple - the relative differential compared to the Model Y changed dramatically. When I placed my order in early Fall 2022 the EUV was just updated with a new battery pack, and delivery timing was uncertain. The car was then priced at $36,000 equipped as I stated. The model Y was $60,900 plus shipping and there was no tax credit available on either car. For $24K price difference I thought the EUV was a better deal, but marginally so. As I placed my order the dealer told me that GM cut the price on the 2023 EUV, to make up for the bad experience with the original EUV battery pack, to under $30,000 without options. That made the price delta hard to ignore at over $31K, so I ordered the EUV and waited.

After placing the order, the tax credits came back, and Tesla began cutting prices in early 2023. When my Bolt arrived for delivery in January, 2023, the Model Y was still over $60K, but fell to $47K very quickly. By that time I already owned the EUV and found it fine for city use, but unusable as a road car because of the obsolete charing speeds - 90 miles on a 50KwH charger in 30 minutes as the fasted charging speed. To fill the entire battery would take nearly 75 minutes, and the top speed was 50KwH. That limitation, combined with a very modest carrying capacity, made it hard to not upgrade to the Model Y, especially with the lower price of the AWD's lower mileage range and smaller battery pack. It wasn't very different from the EUV's range, but with the SC network the Model Y became a truly useful second car, and so I bought it, and would do it again.

Things worked out very well - I sold the EUV to CarMax for more than I paid for it after the tax credit (which I still qualify for), and the net cost of the model Y after tax credit and the EUV profit, including all taxes/fees/DMV fees/etc, is under $40K. The EUV after everything was $15K less expensive. At that price difference I am being overly critical of the Tesla, so take my "negative" observations in context. My 2023 Model Y AWD cost $9K less than the 2018 Model 3 RWD LR, and that car lacked was far less capable and feature rich than the Y.

So, if you're read this far, my apologies for the length, but I want to give not only my thoughts on the newly available Austin built Model Y AWD 4680 GigaPress production car, but also put it into context of how much progress has been made in less than a decade for all EVs, and to also highlight that even with some faults, Tesla still is an unbeatable vehicle and will likely remain so until the EV charging structure matures and alternatives to the SC network become reliable and viable.

Thanks for your comments and assistance over the years. Without this forum I would likely not have bought a Tesla, and I would have missed out on a truly unique vehicle.

Last edited:
One of the best write-ups I’ve read - on anything- in a long while. Just got a ‘23 Model 3 RWD last week and don’t even have 100 miles on it yet so nothing really to report other than very good first impressions overall, fun to drive and enjoyable array of what seem like well thought-out features.

Light-years beyond my only comparable prior EV experience owning a 2013 Volt with a paltry 42 mike range and lawn-mower grade backup gas motor.

I wonder what it means that an old blog post is promoted? By the OP author, by the admin, by the BMW adds? I've learned that Buc ee's sucks on East coast. If you want to compare the suspension performance to a series 3 BMW, then you just have to use Model 3 for comparison. Model Y is an SUV and it drives as an SUV, and its suspension sucks compared to Model 3 or BMW3 as it would be expected. Bad suspension was a reason we turned down an X3 choice long time ago. I also learned that it is true that one needs to be forgiving the repair costs to keep owning a BMW, while an MB will be too risky to own because of unknowns of the reliability, while not making a free appointment to fix doors alignment on Tesla. I am sorry if I am reading all this post in a wrong way, but this is my take as far as the post has been promoted. P.S.: I have noticed several posts in the past couple of months telling us about superiority of BMW on this forum. I even went to a BMW dealership to check it out myself if there is anything worth considering at their parking lot (I'd rather get a Rivian).

Reactions: GoodKarma
I wonder what it means that an old blog post is promoted? By the OP author, by the admin, by the BMW adds? I've learned that Buc ee's sucks on East coast. If you want to compare the suspension performance to a series 3 BMW, then you just have to use Model 3 for comparison. Model Y is an SUV and it drives as an SUV, and its suspension sucks compared to Model 3 or BMW3 as it would be expected. Bad suspension was a reason we turned down an X3 choice long time ago. I also learned that it is true that one needs to be forgiving the repair costs to keep owning a BMW, while an MB will be too risky to own because of unknowns of the reliability, while not making a free appointment to fix doors alignment on Tesla. I am sorry if I am reading all this post in a wrong way, but this is my take as far as the post has been promoted. P.S.: I have noticed several posts in the past couple of months telling us about superiority of BMW on this forum. I even went to a BMW dealership to check it out myself if there is anything worth considering at their parking lot (I'd rather get a Rivian).
Checkout taycan. Issue is as OP pointed out and I'm doing the same thing as tesla still can't build cars. I have 22 M3P and it's bad. I let the manager have it at the service center and he said he can't argue this. I mean, what else do you need. It's just German cars build much better. Many people talking about BMW because of i4. In Canada we get no incentives for m3p so what's the point... right now, tesla is still the best when it comes to ev part of the car. Since they're opening up their superchargers lol good luck to them. Once other manufacturers figure out their supply chain issues, it will be very very hard for tesla. Also, these cars lacking many features like massage, heads up display, center display. Android auto and apple car play, waze and more.
At this moment tesla is still the best ev car but once gen 2 german cars arrive, oh man, tesla will be in serious trouble.

Also, their service level stinks 🦨. These are very expensive cars in Canada and they're not worth the value.

Checkout taycan. Issue is as OP pointed out and I'm doing the same thing as tesla still can't build cars. I have 22 M3P and it's bad. I let the manager have it at the service center and he said he can't argue this. I mean, what else do you need. It's just German cars build much better. Many people talking about BMW because of i4. In Canada we get no incentives for m3p so what's the point... right now, tesla is still the best when it comes to ev part of the car. Since they're opening up their superchargers lol good luck to them. Once other manufacturers figure out their supply chain issues, it will be very very hard for tesla. Also, these cars lacking many features like massage, heads up display, center display. Android auto and apple car play, waze and more.
At this moment tesla is still the best ev car but once gen 2 german cars arrive, oh man, tesla will be in serious trouble.

Also, their service level stinks 🦨. These are very expensive cars in Canada and they're not worth the value.
I like how Taycan feels inside for the driver, but you really need to be a fan of sporty cars and have a serious cash chest to have one. I would absolutely NOT trust German car manufacturers just because they are German for the past 20 years at least. VW is well known for low reliability, Audi is an expensive VW, and BMW is a total garbage in a long run if you notice the very low retained values of BMWs after some 6-10 years. MB used to be good, then they were really bad, now they seem to be okay, but if anything fails on MB or BMW after the warranty expired - you might consider donating it to a charity.

Regarding other-manufacturers-Tesla-killers, it is NOT the supply chain issue. It is the issue of making EVs profitable, and not just profitable but more profitable than the current ICE cars. Specifically, until Ford finds out how to make an EV truck more profitable than ICE F-150, it will never ever scale up EV production if it might endanger profits from ICE trucks. GM is a good example with its non-profitable Bolts (that they are killing this year) which are produced in limited quantities only. I am afraid that by the time others figure out how to make EVs for profit, Tesla will occupy a good half of the world car market outside China.

Regarding massage and alike features. It might surprise you but most people work, you know, like physically driving to work. And those people don't give a $hit to spend 10 minutes in the morning figuring our how to tune their massage seat function or adjust the ambient lights for this morning on their 20 minute rush hour drive to work. If we talk about car sales on the scale of tens of thousands, then perhaps yes, I would get an MB EQS after they fix the break pedal rather than a Tesla. But if we talk about mass market, then I am sorry, but there is no alternative to Tesla at the moment other than reportedly some Chinese offerings from BYD and Nio.

I like how Taycan feels inside for the driver, but you really need to be a fan of sporty cars and have a serious cash chest to have one. I would absolutely NOT trust German car manufacturers just because they are German for the past 20 years at least. VW is well known for low reliability, Audi is an expensive VW, and BMW is a total garbage in a long run if you notice the very low retained values of BMWs after some 6-10 years. MB used to be good, then they were really bad, now they seem to be okay, but if anything fails on MB or BMW after the warranty expired - you might consider donating it to a charity.

Regarding other-manufacturers-Tesla-killers, it is NOT the supply chain issue. It is the issue of making EVs profitable, and not just profitable but more profitable than the current ICE cars. Specifically, until Ford finds out how to make an EV truck more profitable than ICE F-150, it will never ever scale up EV production if it might endanger profits from ICE trucks. GM is a good example with its non-profitable Bolts (that they are killing this year) which are produced in limited quantities only. I am afraid that by the time others figure out how to make EVs for profit, Tesla will occupy a good half of the world car market outside China.

Regarding massage and alike features. It might surprise you but most people work, you know, like physically driving to work. And those people don't give a $hit to spend 10 minutes in the morning figuring our how to tune their massage seat function or adjust the ambient lights for this morning on their 20 minute rush hour drive to work. If we talk about car sales on the scale of tens of thousands, then perhaps yes, I would get an MB EQS after they fix the break pedal rather than a Tesla. But if we talk about mass market, then I am sorry, but there is no alternative to Tesla at the moment other than reportedly some Chinese offerings from BYD and Nio.
Audi up here costs as much as tesla and so is bmw. Model s is on par with taycan or very close.

Gm and ford are not much more reliable than Germans to say the least.

Really? Most people work? No wayyy. I guess i dont work almost 10-12 hours a day, sometimes weekends. How about you? Do you work or post on forums mostly defending this corporation?

Yes, the supply chain issue for the batteries is a big deal for Hyundai, bmw and Porsche.

It's ok you can ignore bad build quality and keep buying into constant lies from elon fraudster.

Audi up here costs as much as tesla and so is bmw. Model s is on par with taycan or very close.

Gm and ford are not much more reliable than Germans to say the least.

Really? Most people work? No wayyy. I guess i dont work almost 10-12 hours a day, sometimes weekends. How about you? Do you work or post on forums mostly defending this corporation?

Yes, the supply chain issue for the batteries is a big deal for Hyundai, bmw and Porsche.

It's ok you can ignore bad build quality and keep buying into constant lies from elon fraudster.
Here, the BMWs and Audi's typically cost noticeably more than Tesla. Model S for $88k is on par with Taycan Turbo for $160k if we consider them performance cars as Porsche, I guess, wants to be.

Sadly, there are no more reliable cars these years...

I wish we could get paid for spending our time on the internet.

Companies like GM has been doing EVs for as longer than Tesla exists. All the other established brands know a thing or two about the supply chain. Should we deny these companies intellectual planning ability and believe they have been unable to plan logistics and supply volumes if they were into EVs for real?

I guess I should be a lucky one with 2 Teslas that don't really have build quality issues. Well, there are some. The paint work is not good on Teslas. It looks much better though than on our older Honda.

As we say in the computer business, YMMV. I bought a MYLR 2023 in February, produced in Fremont, CA. (I have owned 3 Toyota Prius in years past). Perhaps I was lucky, but I had no fit and finish issues at all. I did a 6100 mile five week trip around the western US in May, and found the Y to be comfortable to drive for many hours. Our routine for the long hauls was to drive 200 miles or so, pull into a Tesla Supercharger for the 30 minute charge, climb in back which we have set up for camping with memory foam pads, take a 30 minute nap, and then get back on the road. I once drove my Jeep Rubicon 12 hours straight from Flagstaff to Palo Alto, only by mainlining caffeine. This is better. Half of the trip I used FSD Beta 11.3.6, and on freeways it was relaxing and competent cruising along at 80 in Utah. It surprised me how much having the car handle lane centering, speed up/down cruise, and lane changes reduced driver fatigue. It's relatively quiet at freeway speeds due to no engine and the special noise-cancelling tires. I don't think comparing it to high-end sports cars is apples to apples. It is not that. I find some of the shortcomings in the FSD software annoying, but expect that will eventually improve. We enjoyed the long trip enough that we'll probably do a big loop next summer from west coast to east coast, south going, north returning. IMHO, Tesla is not perfect, but pretty good.

As we say in the computer business, YMMV. I bought a MYLR 2023 in February, produced in Fremont, CA. (I have owned 3 Toyota Prius in years past). Perhaps I was lucky, but I had no fit and finish issues at all. I did a 6100 mile five week trip around the western US in May, and found the Y to be comfortable to drive for many hours. Our routine for the long hauls was to drive 200 miles or so, pull into a Tesla Supercharger for the 30 minute charge, climb in back which we have set up for camping with memory foam pads, take a 30 minute nap, and then get back on the road. I once drove my Jeep Rubicon 12 hours straight from Flagstaff to Palo Alto, only by mainlining caffeine. This is better. Half of the trip I used FSD Beta 11.3.6, and on freeways it was relaxing and competent cruising along at 80 in Utah. It surprised me how much having the car handle lane centering, speed up/down cruise, and lane changes reduced driver fatigue. It's relatively quiet at freeway speeds due to no engine and the special noise-cancelling tires. I don't think comparing it to high-end sports cars is apples to apples. It is not that. I find some of the shortcomings in the FSD software annoying, but expect that will eventually improve. We enjoyed the long trip enough that we'll probably do a big loop next summer from west coast to east coast, south going, north returning. IMHO, Tesla is not perfect, but pretty good.
I wonder if you had TACC on your Priusi. Now, most car brands [claim to] have TACC functionally somewhat similar to Tesla's AP.

Just got a '23 MYP (CA-Fremont) and it's been fine so far at 600 miles: no rattles or squeeks and the fit of the vehicle is fine. The only issue I have is a driver side window that doesn't always auto-close and wheel rash. My MYP is not perfect but I am very satisfied so far: it's exceeded my expectations of an EV.

Cheers!

Reactions: rlsd and alexgr
Just got a '23 MYP (CA-Fremont) and it's been fine so far at 600 miles: no rattles or squeeks and the fit of the vehicle is fine. The only issue I have is a driver side window that doesn't always auto-close and wheel rash. My MYP is not perfect but I am very satisfied so far: it's exceeded my expectations of an EV.

Cheers!
Try to videotape your non-auto-closing window. Then, make an appointment with Tesla. We had a passenger side window that occasionally didn't close, and this was fixed by re-calibration during a mobile appointment.

Reactions: cj3209
Try to videotape your non-auto-closing window. Then, make an appointment with Tesla. We had a passenger side window that occasionally didn't close, and this was fixed by re-calibration during a mobile appointment.
Isn’t there a way to recalibrate the wi does yourself or in the service menu? I had the issue with drivers window due to something the tint guys did when installing tint and when I had a service call for homelinkminstallation the guy did something which fixed the auto close on drivers window.

look in manual or service menu

Isn’t there a way to recalibrate the wi does yourself or in the service menu? I had the issue with drivers window due to something the tint guys did when installing tint and when I had a service call for homelinkminstallation the guy did something which fixed the auto close on drivers window.

look in manual or service menu
That was my case too (homelink installation), but I have no idea if that was related to tint.

Might be somewhat annoying/irrelevant to US based owners for me to post this but I have a Shanghai built MY and not only does it have USS sensors, but the build quality and panel gaps are perfect, plus the road noise is massively suppressed - quieter than my 2019 CX9 which is a quiet car - so obviously these things can be sorted. I believe the same guy who set up Giga Shanghai is now based in the US so here’s hoping. The suspension is unfortunately still crap - pretty much the same suspension as Model 3 I believe - very little travel and overly firm shocks is the issue I think.