Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I joined Ohmconnect a few months back, and connected my model s, my model 3, and various other smart devices. I don't have a Tesla Powerwall. On the Ohmconnect page, it says I can earn up to 1200 device watts for each car/hour, so 2400 watts/hour total. Problem is, I have never earned ANYTHING for either car each time an AutoOhm or OhmHour event comes up, because it says "Your device was already off". Most of the time when one of the events comes up, our cars will be parked, which I'm assuming counts as "off". This leads me to assume the only time it would be "on" would be when you're actually driving it. There's no way I'd pull over to the side of the road and turn the car off if an event comes up while I'm driving, so how would I ever be able to earn any device watts for either Tesla??

Hmm, yeah hadn't thought about the charging part of it :) As for that, we have charging set for 10 PM, and even then, typically only charge once per week, if that. We also have solar (though not enough to offset our energy usage). As it is, I've not seen much benefit from Ohmconnect so far...
Charge your car during times when there is likely to be an Ohmhour and see if that works? Don't look at your electric bill because that is usually when rates are the highest. Ohmconnect does not work if you are already shifting loads away from peak times.

The mission of Ohmconnect is to incentive people to shift their consumption away from peak hour usage. There is no benefit for someone who is already doing that.
Suppose so, I just wish the scope were a little more broad, as in "decrease energy usage" (no matter when). I also don't like the fact that the way they have it structured with AutoOhm/OhmHours, allows people to game the system. I could, for instance, run every single device in the house at full power 24x7, only shutting power down when the events come up, and be rewarded for killing it, but I'd still have netted a much higher overall power usage than currently.

That is the conclusion I reached five years ago. The worse part was the guys that were bragging about how much money they made from Ohmconnect. What those same guys did not say is how much their power bill went up because they were using lots of energy during peak times.