Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil/fluid leaking when parked on a slope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a paver driveway and I’ve started noticing oily stains whenever I parked my MY with the nose higher and the trunk lower.
Sounds weird, but has anyone else noticed anything?
My driveway is wet today, but will post pictures soon.

Are you sure its not just your AC condensation?
I have been reading the posts on TMC. This is my first post. I have been driving my Long Range Dual Motor Model Y since the middle of June, 2020. My Model Y had a similar fluid leak to what you describe. If you can confirm that the color of the oily liquid that is dripping from your Model Y is fluorescent yellow (like a yellow tennis ball) I know what it is. The yellow fluid is compressor oil from your model Y's HVAC compressor. The compressor oil normally circulates inside the compressor line(s) with the refrigerant to lubricate the compressor parts.

You will probably have to do the dance where you make a Mobile Service Appointment. The mobile service technician may not have ever seen this particular problem nor can they determine the source of the leak or make the needed repairs. This will in all likelihood require a follow up Service Center appointment. In my case Tesla had my Model Y for a total of 10 days including two weekends while they determined the source of the leak obtained the needed parts.

I don’t k ow the color of the fluid yet. Will try to place a cardboard under it & see what comes out.
My driveway stains looks like the attached.
9AAA1FFC-F927-4CD9-9AFB-4083770F5E0A.jpeg

If the front of your Model Y would be to the left of the two stained pavers then this aligns with the space between the two front wheels where I experienced the compressor oil dripping from my Model Y. Try placing a white paper towel on the stains and stand on it to soak up a bit of whatever dripped. You should be able to determine the color of the fluid. Also, the compressor oil glows like crazy under ultraviolet light so if you happen to have a black light party bulb (it is after all almost Halloween) and shine the black light over the area the stain(s) will glow yellow. This could possibly cause a 1960s flashback moment.

Upon inspection under the hood of the Model Y, after removing the plastic cover panel located close to the windshield, the AC compressor is located above and just behind the front drive unit. It is easier to see the AC compressor if you first remove the front trunk (frunk) storage bin (that is what the Mobile Service technician will do) but it is possible to get a look at this area with the frunk bin still installed.There is a structural cross member underneath the AC compressor and a Tesla aero panel below the cross member. In my experience oil that leaks from the AC compressor collects on both the cross member and the aero panel. In my Model Y compressor oil continued to drip from underneath my Model Y, slowly, even after my Model Y was repaired by Tesla for 2 months. Either the Service Center could not soak up all of the oil that had leaked or they left it there. Finally, after many weeks, my Model Y only drips compressor oil (1 or 2 small drips) every few days. Even now I am have not a full week without one or two compressor oil drips on the floor of my garage.

It is worth reviewing the automotive fluids used in Tesla's vehicles and their respective colors.

Coolant - Blue (there ~6 gallons of the coolant circulating throughout the battery pack, high voltage electronics, electric drive units, HVAC system and the radiator.) The owner can observe the coolant level but not add coolant to the overflow tank located under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle behind the plastic cover.

Brake Fluid - Clear to Light Gold (when new) You can observe the brake fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir located under the hood on the driver's side of the vehicle behind the plastic cover. The condition of the brake fluid in the reservoir can be tested using test strips.

Washer Fluid - Clear or Blue (at least here on the east coast Tesla vehicles are commonly delivered with the washer fluid reservoir containing generic blue washer fluid (usually contains methanol to prevent the washer fluid from freezing down to -20F or -25F.) The washer fluid reservoir is not visible, only the filler cap is visible. The reservoir hold ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid.

AC Compressor Oil - Fluorescent Yellow, slippery (You should never see this fluid as it normally remains sealed inside the AC system where it circulates inside the AC compressor lines.)

Drive Fluid - Red; the front and rear electric drive are factory sealed for the life of the drive unit. You should never see any of the red colored drive fluid dripping underneath the vehicle.

Sorry to open this one again, but it’s started happening to me. And this in a garage I’ve been parking in for over a year without any issues. The fluid is brown. It is slimy or slippery in nature. Not a lot of it. At first I thought it was due to the new epoxy coating, but then it started in a different garage. My best guess is it’s break fluid, but I wouldn’t expect it to be so brown already. I need to get a service appointment scheduled (as I have several items that need to be taken care of anyway).

In the picture you can also see water from the compressor and tire stains..

B15110C0-8D8F-46BC-A511-AAE4A55C0BC7.jpeg

Sorry to open this one again, but it’s started happening to me. And this in a garage I’ve been parking in for over a year without any issues. The fluid is brown. It is slimy or slippery in nature. Not a lot of it. At first I thought it was due to the new epoxy coating, but then it started in a different garage. My best guess is it’s break fluid, but I wouldn’t expect it to be so brown already. I need to get a service appointment scheduled (as I have several items that need to be taken care of anyway).

In the picture you can also see water from the compressor and tire stains..

View attachment 681241
The fluid appears to be leaking near one of the front wheels, is this correct? Brake fluid can smell like fish oil.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have been reading the posts on TMC. This is my first post. I have been driving my Long Range Dual Motor Model Y since the middle of June, 2020. My Model Y had a similar fluid leak to what you describe. If you can confirm that the color of the oily liquid that is dripping from your Model Y is fluorescent yellow (like a yellow tennis ball) I know what it is. The yellow fluid is compressor oil from your model Y's HVAC compressor. The compressor oil normally circulates inside the compressor line(s) with the refrigerant to lubricate the compressor parts.

Google just brought me to this thread and post after I found some fluorescent yellow fluid in my garage where my 2021 MY was parked.

I scheduled a service appointment, but the first one available is in two weeks.

Assuming it is leaking HVAC compressor fluid, should I be seeing some warning/error in the UI?

Is the vehicle safe to drive, perhaps with AC/Heat turned off, while waiting for the appointment?

Assuming it is leaking HVAC compressor fluid, should I be seeing some warning/error in the UI?

Is the vehicle safe to drive, perhaps with AC/Heat turned off, while waiting for the appointment?
My 2020 Model Y never displayed an error code on the screen.

I drove my Model Y with a slow compressor oil leak for ~ 2 weeks but only for short distances. This was in July so the AC was running to cool the battery and cool the passenger cabin.

How much of the yellow fluid are you finding beneath the Model Y?

Last edited:
I drove my Model Y with a slow compressor oil leak for ~ 2 weeks but only for short distances. This was in July so the AC was running to cool the battery and cool the passenger cabin.

How much of the yellow fluid are you finding beneath the Model Y?

I’d guess a couple of ounces, but there was also run-off from rain, so a bit hard to tell.

Tesla service tells me the car should be okay to drive as long as there are no alerts. This morning there was no additional leakage. I ran the AC/heater for a few minutes in the driveway and there were no signs of a leak.

For the time being I’ll keep the heater/AC off. Temps are in the 50s-60s at the mom, so that’s not a big problem. No plans for roadtrip prior to service appointment.