Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone help me identify this leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1037.jpeg

I have a 2023 model 3 that I picked up last Thursday. Today, I was sitting in my driveway playing around on the display and performed a software update. After about 30 minutes I got out of the vehicle and noticed a leak coming from under the vehicle on the rear left side.

I sent a picture to Tesla and they asked if I used my windshield wipers recently. I did clean the windshield with the washer fluid while I was sitting in the driveway.

They said that it was most likely from that but if I didn’t feel safe to drive it then I could have it towed to a service center.

Does anybody know if this is simply washer fluid or something from the battery?

If it’s from the battery, that’s obviously very bad. If it’s from the wiper fluid, does this mean I have a leak/crack somewhere? I would really appreciate some advice. This is the first car I ever purchased on my own and want to make sure I take good care of it. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 128
I sent a picture to Tesla and they asked if I used my windshield wipers recently. I did clean the windshield with the washer fluid while I was sitting in the driveway.

They said that it was most likely from that but if I didn’t feel safe to drive it then I could have it towed to a service center.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Does anybody know if this is simply washer fluid or something from the battery?

By looking at it remotely?
Hell no.

Easy to validate - park a few feet away from the old spot, spray more windshield wiper fluid, observe where it runs off, and if it leaves a puddle of similar size, shape, form, and color.

If it’s from the battery, that’s obviously very bad. If it’s from the wiper fluid, does this mean I have a leak/crack somewhere? I would really appreciate some advice. This is the first car I ever purchased on my own and want to make sure I take good care of it.

If it's not washer fluid, then it's a warrantable defect with the car.
Either way - drive it to gather more data. Either the problem is transient windshield fluid run off and goes away, or its something else and it will get worse. In which case, you have more data to go to round 2 with Tesla SC.

Relax, it's just a car!

Upvote 0
I would saw washer fluid is more likely. If it the battery leaking it would have to be the main battery. Did you give a sniff? Windshield washer fluid has a pretty distinct smell. And you could have the car spray some on the windshield and see if it smells the same. Regarding a leak, there are channels and drains under the windshield that dump excess liquid on the ground to get rid of water, used washer fluid, etc.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue once a few days after I washed my car at a manual car wash. Maybe they did the same before delivery. The tire cleaner spray was green and it pooled up under there. My guess is if you’re parked on an incline, it finally made its way out. Once I figured out what mine was it never happened again

Upvote 0