Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On-board route planning with better than rated efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got almost 25K on my X 100D, and due to tires that are well broken in, ideal temps, no rear seat passengers, and mystery factors, I've been getting between 320 and 340 kwh/mi at 70-75Mph, which is far better than the rated 384. This is a good problem to have, but there is a downside when road-tripping. The computer is under-estimating my range, causing me to arrive at superchargers with 15-20% charge, rather than the 5-10% that I prefer. This causes charging to take longer, since the more charge you have, the slower the charging.

I just drove ~900mi on Sat, and what would typically happen is that the car would selected a series of super chargers for the route. I'll depart the current SC with 3-5% estimated range remaining at the next SC. Almost as soon as I unhook and continue the trip, the estimate jumps to 8% and then creeps up, and I arrive at 15-20%. I've tried leaving with -5%, which causes it to select an intermediate charger (where I'll arrive at 40% or so). After getting up to speed and driving for a while, I've tried cancelling the trip and re-entering the destination, but it just won't let go of the intermediate charger.

Is there a better option than to just manually select the original charger as the destination, and ignore the car telling me to stop earlier? How much better would ABRP do? I don't have a My Tesla account, and I prefer to just keep Google Maps running for traffic / speed-trap / accident info, so I've been reluctant to subscribe to ABRP.

Thanks,

Drew

I've got almost 25K on my X 100D, and due to tires that are well broken in, ideal temps, no rear seat passengers, and mystery factors, I've been getting between 320 and 340 kwh/mi at 70-75Mph, which is far better than the rated 384. This is a good problem to have, but there is a downside when road-tripping. The computer is under-estimating my range, causing me to arrive at superchargers with 15-20% charge, rather than the 5-10% that I prefer. This causes charging to take longer, since the more charge you have, the slower the charging.

I just drove ~900mi on Sat, and what would typically happen is that the car would selected a series of super chargers for the route. I'll depart the current SC with 3-5% estimated range remaining at the next SC. Almost as soon as I unhook and continue the trip, the estimate jumps to 8% and then creeps up, and I arrive at 15-20%. I've tried leaving with -5%, which causes it to select an intermediate charger (where I'll arrive at 40% or so). After getting up to speed and driving for a while, I've tried cancelling the trip and re-entering the destination, but it just won't let go of the intermediate charger.

Is there a better option than to just manually select the original charger as the destination, and ignore the car telling me to stop earlier? How much better would ABRP do? I don't have a My Tesla account, and I prefer to just keep Google Maps running for traffic / speed-trap / accident info, so I've been reluctant to subscribe to ABRP.

Thanks,

Drew

You don't need to subscribe to A Better Route Planner - just fill in the details of your trip and you'll get an "agenda" to follow.. You can enter your consumption data (and other stuff) in the Settings and it'll spit out what it thinks would be the ideal trip based on that information.

A subscription will enable other features, which may or may not benefit you (e.g. weather, traffic, Supercharger status), but, just enter everything you can without subscribing and you'll get something that will work fairly well.