Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One fine morning MX wouldn’t wake up 😔 3 weeks down no diagnosis yet ../ questioning my faith in Tesla…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krish_na

May 21, 2024
UK
3 weeks ago , ready go out on a weekend but car has no life … no screen no doors operating nothing. On my Tesla app battery was at 32% with wall charging cable still in.
- 1st breakdown service arrived , tried boosting the LV battery screen came on but lasted only couple of seconds and back dead again… MX had sucked the life out of the battery pack brought in for jumps starting
- 2nd break down service - same happened again
- 3rd attempt by Tesla Ranger : same as above happened HOWEVER he managed to get the cable off manually
- Car wouldn’t move or switch on to even put it on a tow mode .
2 failed attempts to get the car on the truck - failed
3rd attempt - using sliders managed to get on to the truck and to local Tesla SC.
- Since then SC has estimated £1262 in diagnostic time but interesting part is that they still haven’t found the cause. They have sent another estimate for diagnosis to lower the HV battery to check for LV circuit integrity .

Through all this I’m left with no car as it’s out of warranty HOWEVER I have taken a private warranty from Warrantywise who need the actual diagnosis of the fault for me to avail the courtesy car.

My question : if they are unable to diagnose and having to lower the HV battery for further diagnostic time with no clear indication whether they are able to diagnose DESPITE the input of Master technician. Would
Will I now be eligible for a loaner car.
FYI :
Response from Tesla this far over almost last 3 weeks :
  1. I believe your vehicle may have a communication network issue which can take longer to diagnose. Thanks, Tesla.l
  2. I have been working on your vehicle this morning and found 2 potential issues. I have found one of the relays in the front Fuse box is being back fed power keeping one communication network awake. The second issue appears to be a short to power on another communication network. I have escalated my findings to a master technician as I believe there is a chance both these issues may be linked by a connector but want a second opinion before we pursue this. We will get back to you with additional labor time required when we have a better understanding from the master techs. Thanks, Tesla
  3. Its hard to put a time on a full diagnosis at this point - there are many factors that come in to play such as response times from master technicians, pre requisite checks to carry out and checking, tracing and recording wiring checks. I am fairly confident I have narrowed down the issue, but I just want a second opinion regarding my diagnosis so far to confirm I am on the right tracks. I dont believe there to be an issue with the HV battery - I am unable to see anything in logs implying a physical failure of the battery cells. I suspect the issue may be with a logic connector connected to the BMS (battery monitoring system), but want a second opinion before we pursue this and quote you for further diagnosis time. Thanks, Tesla
  4. Hi, the master technicians have replied to me today with further checks to carry out. We have identified 3 systems that are effected by the concern which we suspect to be a damaged connector (suspect corrosion), We now need to identify which connectors all effected systems run through and carry out further checks. Please relay this to your 3rd party warranty. Thanks, Tesla.
So far £800+ in diagnostic time
5. We have used the 2 hours you previously authorized to confirm a short to power on the powertrain CAN network, a Resistive HVIL fault and a the Chassis CAN being kept awake due to unexpected power on the Network. We now need a further 1 hour authorized to check all common connectors on the circuit that these 3 networks run through to try and locate the issue. This is not covered by battery warranty, this is not a battery related issue as previously stated, any low voltage circuitry is not covered by battery warranty. Please authorize this to additional time to enable me to proceed with diagnosis. If you do not wish to proceed further please arrange to have the vehicle collected by a recovery company. Thanks, Tesla
6.Hi , please review and accept the latest estimate if you wish to procee with diagnosis. This estimate is to remov the HV battery pack to inspect the low voltage logic connections attached to th pack. Thanks, Tesla.