Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy who owns a Model 3 loves the 1-pedal driving feature. I can’t find a way to get that with my Model S. Does my Model S have that capability???

Depends on the build date of your MS. It currently requires a different permanent magnet motor in the front. Mine is a 2017 and does not have it. I think the ravens and newer will have it.

Funny enough this was just discussed here: Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

@Mike Robinson: Short answer is YES. Here's what you need to know.

On the Model S, when the battery is NOT full OR NOT too cold AND you have regenerative braking set to Standard,
you can simulate one pedal driving with a little practice.
See the owners manual that says: QUOTE:

""Whenever Model S is moving and your foot is off the accelerator, regenerative braking slows down Model S and feeds any surplus energy
back to the Battery. By anticipating your stops and simply removing your foot from the accelerator to slow down, you can take advantage of regenerative braking to increase driving range."" END QUOTE ((Page 54 in my 2015 Tesla Manual))

The Model S will slow down by itself and with practice you learn to feather the go pedal so that you can literally coast into a stop light or stop sign with only a tap of the brake as the car slows to below 6-8 miles per hour. Often, I find i can come to a stop without using the brake if on a slight incline.
NOTE: Turn off creep mode, as that will defeat one pedal driving.

If the battery is cold or fully charged, regen braking is NOT available until you use up some juice and or the battery heats up.
Bottom line, on a mild day with less than a 98% charge, with practice, you can simulate 'one pedal driving' in a Model S.
For a complete stop, if your timing is off, you will have to apply the brake, but learning to do it with one pedal becomes a game as your drive your Tesla.
Hope this helps.

@Mike Robinson: Short answer is YES. Here's what you need to know.

On the Model S, when the battery is NOT full OR NOT too cold AND you have regenerative braking set to Standard,
you can simulate one pedal driving with a little practice.
See the owners manual that says: QUOTE:

""Whenever Model S is moving and your foot is off the accelerator, regenerative braking slows down Model S and feeds any surplus energy
back to the Battery. By anticipating your stops and simply removing your foot from the accelerator to slow down, you can take advantage of regenerative braking to increase driving range."" END QUOTE ((Page 54 in my 2015 Tesla Manual))

The Model S will slow down by itself and with practice you learn to feather the go pedal so that you can literally coast into a stop light or stop sign with only a tap of the brake as the car slows to below 6-8 miles per hour. Often, I find i can come to a stop without using the brake if on a slight incline.
NOTE: Turn off creep mode, as that will defeat one pedal driving.

If the battery is cold or fully charged, regen braking is NOT available until you use up some juice and or the battery heats up.
Bottom line, on a mild day with less than a 98% charge, with practice, you can simulate 'one pedal driving' in a Model S.
For a complete stop, if your timing is off, you will have to apply the brake, but learning to do it with one pedal becomes a game as your drive your Tesla.
Hope this helps.
You just outlined this perfectly. Echoes what I do precisely. It's a fun game to play!

Reactions: Akikiki
You just outlined this perfectly. Echoes what I do precisely. It's a fun game to play!
I agree with what you are agreeing with ( ;) ). I often wish there was a red light on the dash tied to the brake lights between the driver and passenger. This way the passenger could see :eek: how seldom we actually press the brake pedal. Those folks that ride with me, don't have a clue that I almost never press the brake. If they did, I'd be cleaning that seat of poop, :confused: I am certain. Maybe its a good thing that they don't know? :cool:

Reactions: sevenout