Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One-time schedule for departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand how scheduled daily departure can be useful for people who regularly leave for work at a specific time. Personally, I'm retired so this doesn't really apply to me.

But during this sweltering week on the east coast, several times I wanted to have the car preconditioned because I knew I was going to be gone from the car for precisely one or two hours. I understand I can set a precondition time. But then I have to remember to turn that off once I return to the car? Is there no way to set a one-time preconditioning for a particular time or after a certain amount of time has elapsed after I exit the car?

If you are wanting to condition the cabin from an HVAC perspective, you only need about 10 minutes. Just pick up your phone about 10 minutes before you are ready to leave wherever you are, open the tesla app, and click the fan icon on the tesla app screen with your car on it, to turn on the HVAC.

We do this every time we park anywhere (even the grocery store). Thats less work than trying to setup a scheduled departure time, and wastes a LOT less energy than running the HVAC for an hour if you happen to stay where you were longer than you expected to.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think you can access the tesla app to set a scheduled departure each time, but there isnt any specific 1 time setting. I dont trust scheduled departure, myself, so others who have good luck with that feature might chime in.

For the cabin, though, what I said works great (simply turning it on manually approximately 10 minutes before you intend to get in the car and drive away).

Reactions: Lindenwood
I, too, don’t have a fixed schedule and subscribe to a mix of planned departures and @jjrandorin ‘s method.

I do like the ability to schedule the departure because I might remember at 11am that I need to leave by 2 to make an appointment, and then I won’t have to think about as I’m trying to rush out the door. But, as described above, it pains me when I forget to turn it off and my car wastes a bunch of energy cooling the cabin the next day for no reason.

Bottom line, yes a one-time departure would be great. Maybe in a couple years Siri will automatically know to precondition my car the next morning based on my calendar… But, the next best options all do require manual efforts.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I, too, don’t have a fixed schedule and subscribe to a mix of planned departures and @jjrandorin ‘s method.

I do like the ability to schedule the departure because I might remember at 11am that I need to leave by 2 to make an appointment, and then I won’t have to think about as I’m trying to rush out the door. But, as described above, it pains me when I forget to turn it off and my car wastes a bunch of energy cooling the cabin the next day for no reason.

Bottom line, yes a one-time departure would be great. Maybe in a couple years Siri will automatically know to precondition my car the next morning based on my calendar… But, the next best options all do require manual efforts.
Thank you both. Unfortunately, my situation is such that I usually can’t pick up my phone to condition the car manually 10 minutes before I’m ready to depart. I guess I, too, will have to get in the habit of turning scheduling off and on manually.

It is another app but Tessie will do what you want.

1718982839772.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood